PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter boners and foibles

Incubus
10-04-06, 03:32 AM
What are some funny things that have happened to you in game?

-Took a shot at a Tanker but aimed a little too far ahead. I was dismayed to see the torpedo pass apparently past the tanker's bow. However, I guess I wasn't that off, because the tanker apparently collided with the torpedo, hitting it sideways, and managed to somehow detonate it, sending the tanker up in flames.

-Getting mercilessly pursued by a DD, repeatedly fired upon when surfaced and depth charged while diving. In the course of the battle, I encountered severe flooding and sank down to 230 meters :o yet in spite of this managed to get the flooding under control, blew ballast with only 10% compressed air, surfaced only to have the DD screaming down my throat. I figured I was done for, as he was going to ram me and I couldn't dive quickly enough but to my utter shock, when he rammed me it somehow resulted in his hull snapping in two. :|\\

Respenus
10-04-06, 05:26 AM
No offense, but it's fair to say, that you're using vannila SH3 (stock SH3) without any mod.

In GW or NYGM you couldn't hit a ship and brake it in two. I don't know if it's even possible in vannila SH3, but it's more likely! But I have seen in moded and unmoded version of SH3 that destroyers and planes destroyed each other (raming or otherwise)! It :rock:
But a destroyer snaping in two, just by hitting the sub. I heard of muerchants doing the same thing, but DD? Maybe the mod know something? :hmm:

About your first question. It's probable that you had your torpedo set to the magnetic detonator. I once fired a torpedo at a destroyer, the torp was too deep and exploded just before his screw, bacause of the magnetic detonator. So it's very much possible.

HunterICX
10-04-06, 06:10 AM
Respenus, in GW mod I managed to break merchants or DD's into 2 parts

it happens rarely , but its just where the Torpedo you fired hits.
Large Cargo's are on the top list of mine breaking into 2 parts it happend to me 5 times in an 28th long patrol in the U-9. mostly it took me 1 or 2 torps.

but yes in stock sh3 it happens too often when you hit an DD under the keel it snaps into 2 parts and it sinks like a rock.
in TGW I did the same, played whois the chicken with an DD attacking me , I waited untill he was 400 meters away going straight at me. fired an torpedo under his keel and BLAM! an large splash and he went of course , but he didnt break into 2 parts...it took 15 minutes in game before I saw the effect my Torpedo did, his tail started to go under water and 5 minutes later it was an confirmed sinking.

Its very easy, if you use the standard depth of the torpedo on magnetic and you play chicking with the DD (The DD is going straight for you in an direct line) and you wait when he's around 400 meters before you shoot. the Torpedo will go under his nose and explode when he is in the middle of it, close to the screws. its also a very good tactic to shake of the DD attack run. because when he is hit but an torpedo he goes of course he isnt going to attack you anymore and will be lying dead in the water or sink because of the inflicted damage.

Achtung Englander
10-04-06, 06:40 AM
before installing GW accidently pressing Enter with the end of hand and and firing a gas torp

aaaghhhhhhhhhh - damn !!!....I thought - till the torp hit an armed Trawler 5 miles away and sunk her :D

Burzum
10-04-06, 07:55 AM
same thing happened to me, but I've hit my Schnellboot:lol:

LZ_Baker
10-04-06, 09:12 AM
Last night I infriltrated the Port on Malta I think it is. A Flower tried to depth charge me but the water was so shallow the depth charges went off and blew off the racks so he couldn't attack me anymore :cool: Then a Hunt I started chasing me around the harbor and I guess it learned from the Flower because instead of depth charging me, it just hovered above me. I would stop, it would stop right next to me, I would move, he would too. He shadowed me like this around the entire port as I shot everything else in the port including the other DD's and some Flowers. He hit me a time or two but only damaged the flak and deck gun.

As for blowing the ships in half, it happens all the time if you hit the feul tanks and during this attack I managed to put a fish right under a Flower, blowing it in half and sending both ends flying into the air.

Respenus
10-04-06, 09:25 AM
As for blowing the ships in half, it happens all the time if you hit the feul tanks and during this attack I managed to put a fish right under a Flower, blowing it in half and sending both ends flying into the air.

FUEL TANKS??? :o Weren't those ships steam powered! Maybe you mean the engine room.

Respenus, in GW mod I managed to break merchants or DD's into 2 parts

it happens rarely , but its just where the Torpedo you fired hits.

A torpedo attack yes, but he said the ship CRASHED inot him! I really doubt that GW would allow such an amount of damage to a ship and barerly damaging yours. That would realyy be :o

LZ_Baker
10-04-06, 10:14 AM
FUEL TANKS??? :o Weren't those ships steam powered! Maybe you mean the engine room.

Maybe it was the engine room, idk, it blew up :arrgh!: I know I shoot at the fuel tanks/bunkers on merchants all the time. As for being steam powered, coal dust will create just as large of an explosion as a patroleum fuel will. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats what cuased the second explosion on the Lusitania that sunk her.

AVGWarhawk
10-04-06, 10:21 AM
Last night in multiplayer, I was sunk by depth charges right after I let 4 torpes go at a flat top. About 4 minute run time and the torps sunk the flat top. I received no credit as I was on the bottom as fish food. I could almost hear the faint cheers of the crew when the last torp sunk this carrier.

Subnuts
10-04-06, 10:32 AM
Maybe it was the engine room, idk, it blew up :arrgh!: I know I shoot at the fuel tanks/bunkers on merchants all the time. As for being steam powered, coal dust will create just as large of an explosion as a patroleum fuel will. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats what cuased the second explosion on the Lusitania that sunk her.

Uhh... The Flower-class corvettes were steam-powered, but their boilers burned oil instead of coal.

Sailor Steve
10-04-06, 10:40 AM
Subnuts beat me to it. Water doesn't boil itself. A pan of water sitting on a stove won't boil unless you heat it, either with electricity or with natural gas. All "steam-powered" ships have the water boiled to make steam, and heat is provided either by burning coal or fuel oil, or these days by nuclear reaction. Even nuclear ships are "steam-powered".

SteamWake
10-04-06, 10:55 AM
Yea Ive broken ships in two with GW once or twice :up:

Back on topic I think my favorite is not paying attention to the depth beneath the keel. Suddenly there is screeching, crashing, and flooding.... OH NO ! surface the boat.... blow ballast..... "Crash DIVE !" erm oops wrong button.. black screen.

I also loosed a couple of torpedoes before leaving dock by pressing enter (before I modded it out or GW even existed). Fourtunatly they dident hit anything.

HunterICX
10-04-06, 11:04 AM
:smug: Well it wasnt my fault but I managed to crash my boat onto an AI-IIB type boat....I was just going forward...and when AI is getting close they reverse and turn...but this little bugger turned the wrong way and I hit this little bugger with my bigger size floating VIIB....was funny as hell :rotfl: no damages...well not for me :roll:

got screenshots of that in the Humorius picture thread (last couple of pages) worth to see

Respenus
10-04-06, 11:17 AM

I heard about sawdust being very explosive, but coal dust? Well they do say learning is a life long process.

Uhh... The Flower-class corvettes were steam-powered, but their boilers burned oil instead of coal.

Oil you say. Well... Just read the sentance above.

Subnuts beat me to it. Water doesn't boil itself. A pan of water sitting on a stove won't boil unless you heat it, either with electricity or with natural gas. All "steam-powered" ships have the water boiled to make steam, and heat is provided either by burning coal or fuel oil, or these days by nuclear reaction. Even nuclear ships are "steam-powered".

I know subs are "steam-powered", but that is the nature of the nuclear reactor. I did know that ships used "real" gas on those ships, only knew of coal. Or was it merchants only used coal :hmm:

*goes to chech his imaginary ship encyclopedia*

SteamWake
10-04-06, 12:09 PM
[quote=LZ_Baker]I heard about sawdust being very explosive, but coal dust? Well they do say learning is a life long process.

Coal dust and belive it or not "Grain" dust from wheat, barely, etc. are extremly volitile in the right conditions.

Respenus
10-04-06, 12:16 PM
[quote=LZ_Baker]I heard about sawdust being very explosive, but coal dust? Well they do say learning is a life long process.

Coal dust and belive it or not "Grain" dust from wheat, barely, etc. are extremly volitile in the right conditions.
YEH, YEH I remember now.

It was in the time travel book, when they went into the medieval ages (a film was also made). Can't remember the name, but I'm sure they saved their heads, but blowing a windmill :o

_Seth_
10-04-06, 01:13 PM
Coal dust, saw dust, grain.....

DA-DA-DAAAAAAAA DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAAA DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAA

http://www.lacoctelera.com/myfiles/los80/macgyver.jpg

SteamWake
10-04-06, 01:24 PM

You left out paper clip, chewing gum wrapper, and a 9V battery :know:

Respenus
10-04-06, 01:27 PM

In my class we have a saying: "Give MacGyver his Swiss knife and bambuss and he'll make you a house/tank/somethig really complicated!" and around 10k different versions of the same joke! :up:

_Seth_
10-04-06, 01:39 PM

Oh, thats right! i forgot! I'll guess he'll have to do with this pen and some of Bernard's underwear...:up:

Respenus
10-04-06, 02:00 PM

Oh, thats right! i forgot! I'll guess he'll have to do with this pen and some of Bernard's underwear...:up:

To do what? Make a new paor of diesel/electric engines, repair the gramophone/radio/sonar, make a new torpedo detonator.

You're right :up: With MacGyver, anything is possible! :rock:

SteamWake
10-04-06, 02:03 PM
Bernards underwear (shudders :dead: )

Now thats volatile !

Hey a new tactic ! Load Bernards laundry into the tube and launch it. The pursuing DD wont think you sank but they will most likely have to leave the area !

_Seth_
10-04-06, 02:18 PM

Now thats volatile !

Hey a new tactic ! Load Bernards laundry into the tube and launch it. The pursuing DD wont think you sank but they will most likely have to leave the area !

Launching Bernard's underwear is considered biological warfare, and is prohibited due to the Geneva convension...... Last time Bernard took a crap at the u-boat toilet, 390 whales stranded off the coast of Spain...

Respenus
10-04-06, 02:39 PM

Now thats volatile !

Launching Bernard's underwear is considered biological warfare, and is prohibited due to the Geneva convension...... Last time Bernard took a crap at the u-boat toilet, 390 whales stranded off the coast of Spain...

LOL!!! ROLF!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:sunny::sunny::sunny:

:rock::rock::rock:

HunterICX
10-04-06, 05:43 PM
BERNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!
http://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/whales_whaling/images/005.jpg

bookworm_020
10-04-06, 05:56 PM

So which one of you is Patty and which one of you is Selma???

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

_Seth_
10-04-06, 06:14 PM
@ HunterICX: Excellent!!!!! Thats Bernard!!!!!! :rock::rock:

@Bookworm_20: ROFL!!!!!! :up:

Hueywolf123
10-04-06, 08:07 PM
Before the hijacking really kicks in (too late aren't I),

"I know subs are "steam-powered", but that is the nature of the nuclear reactor. I did know that ships used "real" gas on those ships, only knew of coal. Or was it merchants only used coal :hmm:"

Yep, most ships used diesel, that was atomised and squirted into the furnace, with the correct mix of oxygen, this gave off tonnes of heat. The water was turned to 'saturated steam' this then passed through a second heat exchange which superheated it.
Superheated steam runs at 1265 degrees c, 200psi pressure. It is dry, invisible, and odourless. On old steamies, they used to keep a straw broom in the boiler room to check for pipe leaks. Any leaking steam at those pressures and temperatures would cut the bristles off.
When the boiler room blew, it therefore, really blew!. Anybody within that compartment would be vapourised in a split second.
When the ship slipped under, and the boilers were suddenly quenched, this caused an implosion, which, with the internal pressures, would then create a giant explosion. Anyone in the water within a cretain distance of the ship (i forget how far) would be killed by the shockwave moving through it.
So to answer several questions here, yes, hitting the boiler room is effective, no the engine room would not be. and no, in a large ship, the boiler rooms and engine rooms were separate, divided by watertight bulkheads

_Seth_
10-04-06, 08:11 PM
The use of steam also made the ships more silent. In the 70'ths, some british trawlers was driven by steam-turbines. When they passed you on the sea, you didnt hear a thing.. Some people told that they was really scared when those trawlers passed by in the night. Suddenly they saw a big shadow and lights, but heard no sound...creepy...

Subnuts
10-04-06, 08:32 PM
The use of steam also made the ships more silent. In the 70'ths, some british trawlers was driven by steam-turbines. When they passed you on the sea, you didnt hear a thing.. Some people told that they was really scared when those trawlers passed by in the night. Suddenly they saw a big shadow and lights, but heard no sound...creepy...
Another semi-useless factoid:

Not only was the Dreadnought the first major warship powered by steam turbines, it was the first British warship with the officer's accomodations in the bow, and the crew's accomodations in the stern. While the crew slept soundly over the vibration-free steam turbines, the officers got the worst of it in heavy seas, and slept directly over the diesel dynamos and both hydraulic pumping engines! :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
10-05-06, 10:43 AM
[quote=_Seth_]Another semi-useless factoid:
Dreadnought was also the only battleship ever to be credited with sinking a submarine: U-29, commanded by Otto Weddigen, who in U-9 had become WWI's first great ace when he sank the British armoured cruisers Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue, all in a couple of hours.

U-29 was rammed by Dreadnought while trying to attack the Grand Fleet. How's that for a submarine boner?