PDA

View Full Version : ATI Tray Tools + SH3

The Renegade
10-03-06, 11:21 PM
Yet another problem to present to the forum. Here goes:

Right now, my problem is with the graphics. Whenever I've run SH3 I've had the anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering/whatever custom set in the Catalyst Control Center. However, I started having trouble with other games, so I set all of the settings to "application controlled" or "let the application decide." The problem is that SH3 doesn't have any AA or AF settings in-game, so when I play, everything looks terrible because nothing is enabled. It may sound like nitpicking, but I'm actually surprised at how annoying all these "jaggies" are, especially when I'm used to a SH3 without them.

And so I discovered ATI Tray Tools. For those of you who know it, there's a option to create a game profile so that when you run that particular game, it temporarily changes some graphical settings. So now I'm thinking that this is the perfect solution and proudly patting myself on the back, but then I realize that I have SH3 Commander. And now I'm stumped... :damn:

The "game profile" option has you pick an executable file so when you load that file, it knows when to change the graphics settings. However, SH3 Commander launches SH3, so when I used the SH3.exe file, it didn't do anything because I launched it with SH3 Commander. I also tried using the SH3 Commander executable file, but it didn't work either, probably because it's not the game.

I'm wondering if there's a way to launch SH3 through SH3 Commander and have the ATI Tray Tools settings take effect. I know I could probably launch SH3 without Commander, but that would take out all the things Commander adds to the game. I also know I could change the graphics settings in Tray Tools everytime I play, but I would constantly have to change them back and forth for different games. Yeah, I'm lazy, and I want a streamlined solution. But if I had to, I could do something more complex.

So that's my problem. If anyone has any advice AT ALL, I would be very grateful.

Looking back on this, I'm thinking that just manually switching the settings in Tray Tools for different games is probably the way to go. I'm still gonna post this though, just to see if anyone has any better solutions.

P.S. This other game I'm having trouble with is Call of Duty 2. Yeah I know I'm not supposed to talk about the landlubber's war, but does anyone else have it? If yes, do you have problems? It's been almost nightmarish for me.

Another P.S. I've noticed that in my SH3, the sound stutters quite a bit too. Whenever I get near a ship or pass over it in external camera mode, I hear a single loud stuttering. It sounds like the engines or maybe a clicking noise, and in one short burst. And this has been happening for a while, just not as often.

SimNut
10-03-06, 11:43 PM
Launch with Commander, then exit. Re-launch sh3.exe. Commander makes changes and they stay there until you roll back.

Just launch commander at the end of every patrol when you start a new one. The dated files will update and the random stuff will still happen.

The Renegade
10-04-06, 12:10 AM
Launch with Commander, then exit. Re-launch sh3.exe. Commander makes changes and they stay there until you roll back.

Just launch commander at the end of every patrol when you start a new one. The dated files will update and the random stuff will still happen.

Definitely didn't know that. A thousand thanks to you, seriously. If I could legally buy beer, I'd buy you one.

Man, my problems always turn out to have the simplest solutions that I can never find....very irritating....

All's well though. Again, danke SimNut.

Immacolata
10-04-06, 03:40 AM
You can just use ATIs profiles. I have a 4xAA 8xAF profile for SH3, and a Default profile for fx Battlefield 2 which completely refuses to show any AA if I try to force it. To activate I rc the ati icon in my system tray and chose the proper profile.

You can also try ATI Tool 25 beta 15 (notice, not tray tool). There is a very easy right click menu here where you can set AF and AA.

Respenus
10-04-06, 05:30 AM
Turn on the AA and AS outside the game (controled by your control panel), go ingame and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you do, just turn on/off AA with "shift+Page up/down"! If you turn it off completely, the control panel AA and AS will kick in and everything will look just fine and sharp!

I had the same prob, when I first got my new comp! :D

The Renegade
10-04-06, 05:59 PM
Thanks to Respensus and Immacolata for replying.

Wow, I also never realized that the regular Control Panel had the profile tool as well. So that's cool, maybe I'll just try that. And I may try that other tool thing too.

I did read about the software AA, or "glare effect" in the community manual. That would be convenient if the normal AA and AF kicked in when you turn it off.

Anyways, thanks to all you guys for all the solutions. And since I'm already typing, has anyone had problems with the sound in SH3?

Tuddley3
10-05-06, 06:46 AM
Experiment with FS Autostart. You can have it to start with SH3 Cmdr, but with you start SH3 with SH3 Cmdr, maybe when the SH3 exe is activated, ATI Tray Tools may work then.

http://files.filefront.com/FS_Autostart/;5496880;;/fileinfo.html

darkfin
10-05-06, 07:41 AM
Maybe sometime in a future update of SH3Cmdr the author could provide an option to update SH3 files without launching. I programmed all the buttons on my Intellimouse to jump to stations. I usually have to back out and reload SH3 to get it to work. It also looks for the app. SH3cmdr is a great program so I just do the relaod thing.

Jim