PDA

View Full Version : Would you own a U-Boat?

Respenus
10-02-06, 11:09 AM
I was wondering about u-boats the other day and how it must have been for the Keleuns. No TC, no changable realism, no save or load function.

So how would it be, to have a U-boat and would you even have one. A crew loyal to you, always ready to set sail, fresh fish in the tubes, ready to scare the hell or all the local shiping when you surface next to them. The sea, the weather, everything! I guess it might be kindda fun (you'd really wish for TC after a couple of hours).

I picked type XXI, not because it was the first real sub and it had 6 tubes, or went underwater faster then on hte surface. My reason it has better cabin spaces :D and a refrigerator :yep:

Torvald Von Mansee
10-02-06, 11:13 AM
Er, are we talking eccentric billionaires and their toys, here? If you are, one could just make a modern sub.

Hmmm....it occurs to me that a modern sub would be terribly useful for cruising around some places which still have pirates.

Sailor Steve
10-02-06, 11:30 AM
I usually like the Type II, but I picked VII in this case as it's the one most casual viewers are familiar with, and I would hope to make money giving cruises in "a real German U-boat!"

Respenus
10-02-06, 11:39 AM
Why don't we all give all our money together, get a type II out from the ocean (or somewhere nearer), refit her and do a time share deal?

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Gino
10-02-06, 11:47 AM
Well now that you are talking about fishing one up from the ocean....

At a conference last year, an owner of a museum vessel in the US was seriously thinking about fishing a U-boat up from the ocean, and restore it to 'museum-shape'
Similar to U534 in Birkenhead.

The only thing needed was funding...Which, if you already have a museum ship, is nearly impossible to get...

groetjes,

Gino

Safe-Keeper
10-02-06, 11:51 AM
Do you mean during war-time, as in "if this was 1939, would you apply for the U-bootwaffe"?

In which case the answer is of course no. I'd go fight with "the boys in the woods" here in Norway.

Or do you mean "if there was a u-boat for sale and you had a hundred million dollars, would you buy one"?

Mayhaps. I could turn it into a floating museum or something. Probably not, though.

As for the type, I'd pick a Type II. Smallest one, the least crew, less people on payroll.

spork542
10-02-06, 11:54 AM
IXC all the way! :rock:

Respenus
10-02-06, 12:14 PM
Do you mean during war-time, as in "if this was 1939, would you apply for the U-bootwaffe"?

In which case the answer is of course no. I'd go fight with "the boys in the woods" here in Norway.

Or do you mean "if there was a u-boat for sale and you had a hundred million dollars, would you buy one"?

Mayhaps. I could turn it into a floating museum or something. Probably not, though.

As for the type, I'd pick a Type II. Smallest one, the least crew, less people on payroll.

I mean a "U-Boat for sale or money to build one yourself" scene.

I believe I found a Wiskey class for only 500k $, retired in 1991. But I guess it was probably a hoax! :hmm:

galahad
10-02-06, 01:58 PM
VII-C/41 all the way!:up:

Sniper_1
10-02-06, 01:59 PM
I'd buy a Type 212 :p :p :p :p . Or for those of you who are fans of Joe Buff's submarine novels, a Deutschland class ceramic hulled SSN :up: (check out www.Joebuff.com (http://www.Joebuff.com) for his novels, the 1st chapters of all his novels are available to read).

Sniper_1

Respenus
10-02-06, 02:02 PM
I'd buy a Type 212 :p :p :p :p . Or for those of you who are fans of Joe Buff's submarine novels, a Deutschland class ceramic hulled SSN :up: (check out www.Joebuff.com (http://www.Joebuff.com) for his novels, the 1st chapters of all his novels are available to read).

Sniper_1

I'd like her sister sub, the U-214!

From what I saw, it's a great ship :rock:

And ecological, so you don't get GreenPeace up you *** when you try to dock her somewhere! :roll:

mr chris
10-02-06, 02:18 PM
Voted for a type VII. As sailor steve said earlier would try and make a buck or two out of it. I always thought i good one would be to have members of this forum try and crew a boat thought that would be funny. Also you could have Big Boat where you get to vote off the worst sailor every week.:rotfl:

The Noob
10-02-06, 04:15 PM

Well, Fictional Scenario: I am Austrian (Wich i really am lol) and it's 1939. I have the choice either to Apply to something or begin forced into the Armed Forces of Germany. Then Hell yes, U-Bootwaffe! Fighting on the Land is very dangerous, same in the Air. U-Boat is too, but some U-Boats never sunk anything. Also the "Hype" around U-Boats was high back then. So i think i would really have. Only if i couldn't desert of course...:oops:

"if there was a u-boat for sale and you had a hundred million dollars, would you buy one"?

YES I WOULD! :arrgh!:

Kruger
10-02-06, 04:29 PM
The VII type is the image of the german U-Boot that everyone recognizes, and I am not exagerating in any way when I say that I personally find it one of the most beautiful boats ever constructed. When I say submarine, the silhouette of a VII is what first comes to my mind. It's menacing, yet romantic in the same time. Few modern ships have these two qualities anymore. And of course...yes...obsolete diesel electric sub. Need I say that presently, many navies still build diesel subs ? They're cheap, small, easy to build, easy to operate, silent, very deadly when operated properly. I believe that Sweeden is presently the lider in diesel subs construction, and they have some very nice technologies involved in them.

As for the topic....I allready said it on the forum some time ago. If money was no issue, I would just walk straight in the offices of the Hamburg naval yard and say "Good afternoon gentlemen. How fast can you build a perfect replica of a VIIC type, with 3 AA (including one heavy flakvierling) and a deck gun ?"

I bet my ashtray (which I love very much for it is a present from a very special girl who dumped me, and I swear that everytime I see destroyer in the scope I hope that she has joined the RN in the meantime) that everyone in the office would remain stunned. I'd search for a real kaleun still alive, and I would ask him to supervise the construcion and every detail, then I would ask him to train my crew if possible.

Naturally...the torpedoes...I would have to buy them somehow....not very legal though.

Kingcobra24
10-02-06, 05:04 PM
If we're talking modern times as opposed to the 1940's, and money wasn't an object, I'd go with the SSBN-726 Ohio-Class FBM sub...in excess of 500 feet in length and over 40 feet wide.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/ssbn-726_i.htm

:lurk:

Hueywolf123
10-02-06, 05:34 PM
Well now that you are talking about fishing one up from the ocean....

At a conference last year, an owner of a museum vessel in the US was seriously thinking about fishing a U-boat up from the ocean, and restore it to 'museum-shape'
Similar to U534 in Birkenhead.

The only thing needed was funding...Which, if you already have a museum ship, is nearly impossible to get...

groetjes,

Gino

Well, when the lottery pays me all the money it owes me.......
:lol:

Burzum
10-02-06, 05:43 PM
Why don't we all give all our money together, get a type II out from the ocean (or somewhere nearer), refit her and do a time share deal?

:hmm::hmm::hmm:
:arrgh!: Would be great!
I've chosen VII-C, just adore that sub:oops:

Phantom II
10-02-06, 05:57 PM
Type XXI, better crew comforts etc.

-Phantom

LZ_Baker
10-02-06, 06:15 PM
I'd get a XXI and take all the Navy sub engineers I work with on a cruse :lol:

Curval
10-02-06, 06:42 PM
The smallest one. You could carry a couple of tonnes of "cargo" into shallow water and provide a minute signature to the coast guard. Three or four trips...then off to *where-ever* to live like a king.

:arrgh!: HARRR!

Sulikate
10-02-06, 06:43 PM
I'd go for a XXI.

JohnnyBlaze
10-02-06, 06:56 PM
Voted for XXI.

But for a modern sub era I would probably pick Russian Akula Class and become a pirate myself
:arrgh!:

Schultzy
10-02-06, 07:31 PM
Would love to but, what with living in land locked Austria, it might be a bit of a problem putting to sea. :lol:

d@rk51d3
10-02-06, 07:36 PM
And ecological, so you don't get GreenPeace up you *** when you try to dock her somewhere! :roll:

That's where the torpedoes come in handy.:arrgh!:

NeonSamurai
10-02-06, 07:52 PM
Pff deck gun, torpedos are expensive (especialy vintage ww2 torpedoes) :P

bookworm_020
10-02-06, 09:28 PM
Voted for an IX, but would love to have an XXI with the range, deck gun and large flak fitout.

Greenpeace and Japanese Whaler's are at the top of my hitlist.....

(I belive in equal opportunity):up:

Ducimus
10-02-06, 09:55 PM
As much as i love IX boats for ingame SH3 reasons, if i were a buisness man and was looking to own a uboat, id go for the type VII. A few reasons:

1.) its the most recongnizeable and iconic of the era
2.) There's only 1 surviving VII boat, and its in germany. Seeings how i live in the US, this woudlnt be another U505.
3.) From what i read their a little easier to maintain, and manage then an IX boat, which means less overall expenses.

Respenus
10-03-06, 04:32 AM
The smallest one. You could carry a couple of tonnes of "cargo" into shallow water and provide a minute signature to the coast guard. Three or four trips...then off to *where-ever* to live like a king.

:arrgh!: HARRR!

Maybe South America and the the USA? OF weapon smugling in front of the Russian noses! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

You take a big loan, get a sub and you can repay the loan in around a 12 trips. If they catch you, we'll I doubt you could ever pay back the dept :shifty:

I did hear that some pirates bought diesel ship for smugling. Minimal crew, big cargo space, can easily evade any military ships!

We might even get somewhere :yep:

Hybris
10-03-06, 05:28 AM
I voted for XXI but if I could I would get a VIIC/42 just because it does have that deck gun but either way I think it would be useful in attacking modern day shipping "Drug shipping" that is.:lol:

Kruger
10-03-06, 07:50 AM
Well....in fact a U-Boot would be to slow to intercept and destroy the drug ships. They are usually small and fast ships....while you could hardly achieve 20 knots on the surface. But I'd happilly hunt the whalers instead, and torpedo them with great pleasure...I would even be able to machine gun the survivors. There is nothing that upset me more than animal suffering.

Respenus
10-03-06, 07:59 AM
Well....in fact a U-Boot would be to slow to intercept and destroy the drug ships. They are usually small and fast ships....while you could hardly achieve 20 knots on the surface. But I'd happilly hunt the whalers instead, and torpedo them with great pleasure...I would even be able to machine gun the survivors. There is nothing that upset me more than animal suffering.

First of all, why don't subs do the "illegal" things? :hmm:

And I'd be your guys when it came to whalers! I'm not a ecologist, or a vegi or any nature lover (I detest going out in the first place), but whalers? That's just wrong :nope:

The_Blockade_Runner
10-03-06, 01:30 PM
I would like to have a Type IIA and then buy a house in Miami, where I would make runs to Havanna and Stock up on goodies and hot cuban women and smuggle them in into the US sneaking past the coast guard.

Hybris
10-03-06, 06:05 PM
Well if you had a IIA then why don't you work for the government and pick up and drop spies? The U-boat would probably handle swallow coastal water better then a Los Angeles class attack boat wouldn't it?

On the counter drug trade thing I'll use a Red October quote:
"Hounds to the Hunters"

Aircraft would spot the runners and drive them stright towards my tubes!
(I don't think I could use the deck gun maybe at night or something like that.)

SimNut
10-03-06, 06:51 PM
If I had that much money I'd buy one for 3 people. Me and my two Penthouse centerfolds. Submerge.

shegeek72
10-03-06, 11:35 PM
I think I'd be so cool to have a WW2 era sub. If I had a choice I'd prolly go with a XXI, but I'd be stoked with any one from type VII on. Imagine the feeling of piloting a piece of history and being able to really experience life aboard a sub from circa 1940! Heck, I'd just like to get a ride in one! :rock:
--
http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/sh3_dark_gw3r.jpg

Torvald Von Mansee
10-04-06, 01:00 AM
I did hear that some pirates bought diesel ship for smugling. Minimal crew, big cargo space, can easily evade any military ships!

ANY, you say? How about an AEGIS cruiser or destroyer?

Hybris
10-04-06, 07:02 AM
Then I guess you better start dodgeing the DC's!

STEED
10-04-06, 07:26 AM
What do I want with a U-Boat?

don1reed
10-04-06, 07:37 AM
I chose typ IIa...but only if I had twice as much money to buy...since I build and own sailboats I can tell ya that boats are holes in the water in which you pour money...the smaller the hole, the better. :)

...no one here, in these forums could afford the fuel costs...but if you could step a mast and toss up a sail it might be cost effective.

don1reed
10-04-06, 07:49 AM
OT @STEED whats wrong with the BBC? I've been going there instead of NBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, FAUX...what's a mother to do? :)

...I go there mainly for the cricket scores.

STEED
10-04-06, 08:04 AM
OT @STEED whats wrong with the BBC? I've been going there instead of NBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, FAUX...what's a mother to do? :)

...I go there mainly for the cricket scores.

Here's why http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=320128#post320128

Respenus
10-04-06, 09:31 AM
No offense guys, but let's keep it on Topic, can ya?

PLZ.

NealT
02-11-08, 05:45 AM
I selected Too much work for me...

That and I HATE confined spaces.....

flag4
02-11-08, 06:12 AM
id love to own one. have a fully trained crew at my disposal and go-a- crusing across the seas......oh yes yes yes !!

Jimbuna
02-11-08, 07:54 AM
I'd have to decline.....not much of a chance for survival these days with all the ASW weaponry available today :o

Brag
02-11-08, 08:05 AM
For pleasure, I would sail on a two or three masted schooner. I used to live aboard a 40ft wooden sloop. I liked that. But the maintenance costs were killing me. :arrgh!:

kiwi_2005
02-11-08, 08:06 AM
Yes! i would own a XXI and make it my home! :yep: I would have to make changes to the boat like more modern inside and its setup so she can be controled by just 1 to 3 ppl max therefore everything would be push button computerised. I would have a living room, TV, computer, booze bar, bedrooms, all the latest electronic gadgets needed to survive the command room would be the same for driving the boat, she would go deeper and stay longer submerged. I then would just cruise around the country going from one port to the next. Or maybe now and then head out to the pacific or atlantic and just get lost in the deep blue sea.

Dreams are free...

Abd_von_Mumit
02-11-08, 10:10 AM
Yes! i would own a XXI and make it my home! :yep: I would have to make changes to the boat like more modern inside and its setup so she can be controled by just 1 to 3 ppl max therefore everything would be push button computerised. I would have a living room, TV, computer, booze bar, bedrooms, all the latest electronic gadgets needed to survive the command room would be the same for driving the boat, she would go deeper and stay longer submerged. I then would just cruise around the country going from one port to the next. Or maybe now and then head out to the pacific or atlantic and just get lost in the deep blue sea.
It wouldn't be a XXI anymore, would it? :hmm: :arrgh!:

lambda*sqrt(u*x)
02-11-08, 10:10 AM
I'd have a modest Type VII with snorkel and get some place for it as a house boat in a nice gracht in Amsterdam. Maybe even make the deck an open-air coffeeshop... :|\\

Puster Bill
02-11-08, 10:13 AM
Yet again, the humble Type XXIII gets short shrift.

I'd certainly own a Type XXIII. Small enough to be manageable with a small crew.

Besides, it's vaguely possible to build one if you have enough cash:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2216/startinkopenhagen02mv9.jpg

This is the UC-3, being built by Peter Madsen. It's about 10 meters shorter than a XXIII, at ~25 meters instead of 34 meters. It does show, however, that you can do something roughly on the same order of magnitude.

His previous boat is for sale, by the way. It's called the "Kraka", and is roughly 1/2 the size of this one. It should look vaguely familiar:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/450/image027vy4.jpg

It's a steal for $248,000:

http://www.psubs.org/forsale/

Jimbuna
02-11-08, 03:15 PM
SS Copenhagen 2009 http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/621/thinkbigsw1.gif

02-11-08, 03:20 PM
There is a website that you can buy submarines that are more like luxery yachts. I forgot the url as it has been a couple of years since Ive seen it. Those subs have dining areas with big windows so you can see outside and come with a crew. My friend told me they can dive as deep as 1000ft, but I dont know about that. Of course these things are for eccentric billionaires, but it would be fun to be the bartender on one of those things. Heck, I'd even clean the toilets to be on one!
For some reason I want to think that the url is american subs or us subs or something, sorry I dont know the real url.

edit: You wouldnt have to worry about hurricanes either, you could just go off shore and dive and wait it out! Nice!

emtmedic005
02-11-08, 05:22 PM
O man i would just want to live in it hahahaha i would love to have a IXD2 or a VIIC and just make it into my own pleasure uboat, sorta like a underwater yacht, I would prolly dock it down in florida, i would rip out the forward torpedo tubes and turn that compartment into my master bedroom, then i would extend the engine room into the rear torpedo compartment. i would also modernize the kitchen and command rooms. The conning tower would pretty much remain the same except i would have a nice grill and fishing gear up there, I would also have a sweet entertainment system installed through out the entire sub.. I would Pimp my sub:arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

HundertzehnGustav
02-12-08, 11:07 AM
IXC all the way! :rock:

HAH

i take the B, but with the IX/3 tower and Quad plus twin 38s

danurve
02-12-08, 11:46 AM
Hey, you guys know for about 25$ anyone can own a u-boat.

Of course, it'll be made by Revell :-j

Graf Paper
02-13-08, 05:54 AM
Remember how it was very popular, in the U.S., to convert old railway cars into greasy spoon diners?

I'd convert a VII or IX into a German restaurant and Biergarten. Talk about being a popular spot during Oktoberfest!

I think I'd name it "U-Braut". :p

Who threw that shoe? :stare: