PDA

View Full Version : "Welcome, dear armed vessel, to our sovereign waters!"

Safe-Keeper
10-02-06, 10:19 AM
OK, so something occured to me when I slipped into Trondheim harbour to do a recon mission today (orders to do so courtesy of SH3Gen): If you get spotted in neutral waters without the right to enter them, shouldn't the power that spotted you get upset or something?

Shouldn't there be warning shots, an angry radio message demanding you get the Heck away or else, renown loss for being spotted (if you're ordered in there) or for straying in there without orders (if you're not ordered in there), and what the Heck not?

I never thought of this before, but now that I was detected sneaking into Trondheimsfjorden and the Armed Trawler that spotted me just 100% ignored me, it suddenly occured to me.

I'm not saying it should alter history by making a neutral country go to war or anything, but something should happen.

As a side note, rules of engagements and maritime/international laws in general should be implemented (such as "don't attack ships with their lights on", "don't attack these and those ships without warning", and so on). Those that were historically followed, at least.

Sailor Steve
10-02-06, 10:27 AM
http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/law_appendb.htm
As I read it, a neutral country may allow or prevent belligerent ships of war entry into their waters and ports, but must do so equally for both sides. Of course, some countries have proved to be more neutral toward one side that the other.