PDA

View Full Version : what does "friendly task force" mean?

Crawlerz
09-22-06, 09:11 AM
1 - maybe Im a bit uneducated but plz explain the nature of the radio message "friendly task force in sector $$##". do u as a Uboat have to turn there and "protect them" as this friendly convoy goes its way? or do u just ignore the message and continue on your course?

2 - also when u're in the middle of the Atlantic, u sometimes get a message of a large enemy task force allllllll the way on the north side of england. obviously u can't get there in time (that would take upwards of a week) what do u do?

3 - and about the great allied air cover over britain - u cant swim at the surface - or it's near impossible. what to do in such situation (which only becomes worse when u cant man the flak guns due to bad weather.) the second u show ur %$#!@ above water, u get attacked! what do u do?

thank u!:rock:

kylania
09-22-06, 09:30 AM
1 - maybe Im a bit uneducated but plz explain the nature of the radio message "friendly task force in sector $$##". do u as a Uboat have to turn there and "protect them" as this friendly convoy goes its way? or do u just ignore the message and continue on your course?

Mostly it's just a "Hey, come look at these sweet capital ships without being attacked!" type message.

2 - also when u're in the middle of the Atlantic, u sometimes get a message of a large enemy task force allllllll the way on the north side of england. obviously u can't get there in time (that would take upwards of a week) what do u do?

Similar to 1, it's mostly just a warning. If you're into hunting military ships, you can head that way, otherwise you know to avoid it.

3 - and about the great allied air cover over britain - u cant swim at the surface - or it's near impossible. what to do in such situation (which only becomes worse when u cant man the flak guns due to bad weather.) the second u show ur %$#!@ above water, u get attacked! what do u do?

thank u!:rock:

Crash dive every time you see an airplane! Snorkel if you have it. Submerge during the day, on the surface at night. I'm not sure if it works with SH3 this way, but once the allies got radar some u-boats would switch, submerge during the night and on the surface at day since the planes could find them easily at night, but the planes were easier to spot on the day, so they risked daylight attacks for better visual warnings.

On my last patrol I got attacked 8 times in three days. Two attacks hit me, and the other six I managed to get submerged in time. Ended with 56% structure left. :)

_Seth_
09-22-06, 09:36 AM
Hi again!!

Nr.1: You dont need to protect them, just be aware that they are there. I always keep track of the friendly task forces, and if i get myself into som bad situations with the enemy, i always run to the friendly task forces last known position... (Running back to my big brother....:rotfl:)

Nr.2: I mark the route of the enemy on my map, and try to figure out a pattern. Then i sail to the most likely point for them to be at a given time. Maybe i'll find them, maybe not. Thats the war, mate!

Nr.3: Stay submerged..... Only surface during night, to reload batts and air, or if you have a snorkel, its less likely they'll spot you. Again; thats the war, mate! :D