PDA

View Full Version : Dud Torpedos

thehiredgun
09-21-06, 03:50 PM
Does anybody know why there are so many dud torpedos & how can you decrease the amount of dud torpedos or eliminate them totally? I have the no dud torpedos checked on the SH Commander but it does not seem to make a difference.

DanCanovas
09-21-06, 03:54 PM
well the reason why there are so many dud torpedoes is because there were so many in real life. This problem was so severe that Doenitz said there was almost no point in sending any boats out. It was THE major issue of the time for U-boat crews and one of the most reported things to BDU. as for taking it off, im not sure. the frustration of a dud makes it great for me because I it lets me go some way into feeling the frustration that they must have felt. (although not really comparable)

Deimos01
09-21-06, 04:55 PM
If you have duds turned off then either you are missing, going underneath or hitting at to much of an angle. Regardless of your settings, if you hit your target at too much of an angle then the torps are likely to just skip right off em.

NeonSamurai
09-21-06, 06:00 PM
Yep, actualy in game with the right shot setup true duds are very rare

HW3
09-21-06, 06:57 PM
Also the torpedo arming distance is 300M. Anything closer and they won't explode. Regarding angle, anything less than 60 degrees or greater than 120 degrees is most likely to bounce off the hull. The closer to 90 degrees it hits the hull the better.

Mauser KAR98K
09-21-06, 07:40 PM
Even with Duds off there are DUDS! I had a perfect shot with my last torpedo and it bounced off the Keel and didn't explode. I fired it from 1200M with an electric fish on Magnetic detonation. It just went Klunk and sank to the bottom.

HunterICX
09-22-06, 03:15 AM
:88) bad luck,

Mostly When I had 1 Dud, I change the depth of the Torpedo see if it helps..

C3 Cargo
Fire!!!!!
KLUNK!!!
Mmm....2m Depth Magnetic , Fire!!!!!!!
BLAM!
:()1:

Finnbat
09-22-06, 06:41 AM
Oh boy I love dud torpedos.
It gets blood circling.

Game would be very booring without these mailfunctions.
I am not any robot, I want to feel and get in to the realism.

I would like to see more sailor getting sick on long trips, or fall off the deck in nightwatch. Engines never breaks or anything else small heart pumping actions happens when sailing under normal watch. Need more of these extras.

Torvald Von Mansee
09-22-06, 07:52 PM
Finnbat - I remember hearing, somewhere, that once a watch crew went up on to the bridge to relieve another watch crew to find no one there. The previous watch crew had all been washed overboard.

Oops.

MothBalls
09-22-06, 09:16 PM
In your game menu, right before you launch the mission, realism settings, do you have Dud torpedo's checked on/off?

SilentOtto
09-22-06, 09:28 PM
Finnbat - I remember hearing, somewhere, that once a watch crew went up on to the bridge to relieve another watch crew to find no one there. The previous watch crew had all been washed overboard.

Oops.

You recall right, it was U106. Uboat net link: http://uboat.net/boats/u106.htm

thehiredgun
09-22-06, 09:41 PM
To Mothballs yes I have it marked off

bigboywooly
09-22-06, 09:45 PM
Mag pistols and rough seas dont mix well either
Thats where most of my premature explosions come from
Dont get too may duds unless wrong angles or too low down on the hull so bouncing off the curve

Von Taticus
09-23-06, 06:17 AM
Even with Duds off there are DUDS! I had a perfect shot with my last torpedo and it bounced off the Keel and didn't explode. I fired it from 1200M with an electric fish on Magnetic detonation. It just went Klunk and sank to the bottom.

I believe ...:|\\

The magnetic trigger in the torps is designed to detonate when a change in magnetic polarity occurs. This is change of field occurs when you pass underneath a ships hull. Banging into the side of a ship is not sufficient to set off magentic trigger.

I have duds enabled, but rarely get a dud. The golden rule i follow is...

Impact triggers for :-

No less or more than 20 degrees off of the AOB figure. (ie AOB has to > 70 or <110)
No deeper that half the ships depth.
small ships < 3500 tons.
rough weather

Magnetic triggers for:-

If the AOB is < 70 or > 110
1 metre under the depth of the ship's keel.

Works for me. :up: Anyway.

Steve

Kptlt. Siegmann
09-23-06, 08:50 AM
Magnetic pistols are also designed to detonate on impact, were they not?

fredbass
09-23-06, 08:58 AM
My experience seemed that there were more dud torps in the early years mostly. I'm in early 43 now and with option turned on, I rarely have a dud. Not sure how it will be later.