PDA

View Full Version : Any Pink Floyd fans here?

RedMenace
09-19-06, 10:16 AM
I gotta say, I'm a total Floyd nut. :D I own every studio album and a few live albums too, posters, shirts, boxers, movies, you name it. I think they're possibly the greatest music to ever to hit this planet.

Its on my playlist 24/7, and if I wasn't so into the ambience of the game, I'd put Floyd in my grammophone.:cool:

I was wondering, anyone else here like Pink Floyd? Heck, maybe as much as I do?:ping:

kiwi_2005
09-19-06, 10:24 AM
:up: Yep. Dark side of the Moon and Wish you were here my best albums. Saw them in concert when they came here 18 yrs ago.

kiwi_2005
09-19-06, 10:26 AM
Its on my playlist 24/7, and if I wasn't so into the ambience of the game, I'd put Floyd in my grammophone.:cool:

:ping:

Actually thats a good idea :D Dark side of the moon playing in SH3 i reckon would go well.

Perilscope
09-19-06, 11:59 AM
I was wondering, anyone else here like Pink Floyd?
Pink Floyd very good, It’s a kind of music you "experience" while listening it.

Kresge
09-19-06, 01:12 PM
I'm more of a fan of the early years, though the later albums, like Dark Side and the Wall, are masterful too. I was sad to hear that Syd passed away recently. He was such a genius, but sadly over the edge. Wish he was here.
One of my buddies went to see Roger Waters last night. I'll have to see what he has to say about the show.

Skybird
09-19-06, 01:44 PM
:up: Yep. Dark side of the Moon and Wish you were here my best albums.
Same here. Directly led me to the first 6 or 7 albums of Alan Parsons, another all-time-favourite of mine.

I-25
09-19-06, 01:59 PM
Well i'd you knw what i think!:cool:

FUBAR295
09-19-06, 05:17 PM
Comfortably numb ! :o :D

Floyd is one of my favorites!

Careful with that axe Eugene.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR

SUBMAN1
09-19-06, 05:40 PM
Yep, so much so that I own 24k Gold Master recording of The Wall.

I just testing out my new vid capture card the other night and recorded a Pink Floyd concert - from 1992.

-S

FUBAR295
09-19-06, 08:48 PM

-S

Umma Gumma :o :o :o

Sea Demon
09-19-06, 09:06 PM
Dark side of the moon is an absolute classic. Me and one of my uncles used to go in my Grandpa's backyard with the telescope some nights to stargaze. And he had Pink Floyd on his portable music player while we did it. That music was absolutely perfect for astronomy. :cool:

RedMenace
09-19-06, 09:26 PM
Haha! Who knew? A whole forum full of Floydians!:cool:

Camaero
09-20-06, 04:06 AM
Dark Side of the Moon is just awesome. I have been listening to that cd since I was very young. I can't say I have any of the other albums though. I have no idea why not either. Maybe I will check some more out. :rock:

Now just thinking about it, I am going to go put it on and go to sleep while I listen. :)

JScones
09-20-06, 07:25 AM
"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is perhaps my second favourite album of all time (I prefer the stereo version).

Favourite song has to be "Scream Thy Last Scream", the unreleased 1967 single version. Trippy.

Yes, I prefer their pre-1969 stuff (although I quite like the album "More" as well). ;)

StdDev
09-20-06, 08:33 AM
Hmmm... Pink Floyd on a Subsim board....

It all makes perfect sense

And here come the players
As I speak to you now the captain
Has his cross hairs zeroed on the oil rig
It looks to me like he's going to attack
By the way did you know that a submarine
Captain earns 200,000 dollars a year
Oh that's less tax Marv.... less tax
Uh thank you Emery
You're welcome
Now back to the game he fires one ... yes
There goes two
Both fish are running
The rig is going into a prevent defense
Will they make it?.. I don't think so
Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense

SUBMAN1
09-20-06, 11:37 AM

-S

Umma Gumma :o :o :o

THey pop up on Ebay from time to time. Here is an opened version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Wall-Gold-Disc-CD-Pink-Floyd-CD-1990_W0QQitemZ330023293322QQihZ014QQcategoryZ307QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-S

Iceman
09-20-06, 10:32 PM
Have the entire Animals album on my streaming music area. :) ... You Animals.

http://www.cyberallies.com/miscapplications/playlist.m3u

Enjoy...

Roger Waters comes to Arizona this October I think...I'm going. :)

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/muze/music/133841.jpg

RedMenace
09-20-06, 10:41 PM
Haha Charade you are!:rock:

Camaero
09-21-06, 03:59 AM
After all this Floyd talk I had to go get me another album. I got Wish You Were Here and thought it was great. Next on the list is The Wall. :up:

Thanks for re-sparking my interest. I had never heard Wish You Were Here before. (Except for maybe one song on there.)

StdDev
09-21-06, 08:39 AM
After all this Floyd talk I had to go get me another album. I got Wish You Were Here and thought it was great. Next on the list is The Wall. :up:

Thanks for re-sparking my interest. I had never heard Wish You Were Here before. (Except for maybe one song on there.)

Camaero.. not that there is anything wrong with the albums you just picked up.. but you NEED to get some of Roger Waters albums.. the ones he did after the split..
Roger's music IS the political sarcastic depression flavor of Pink Floyd that we all love!

And when they found our shadows
Grouped 'round the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data in their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry
No feelings left
Amused itself to death

RedMenace
09-21-06, 10:13 AM
Meh, Roger Waters albums are pretty good, but a lot of his tracks arn't worth listening to. I highly prefer Pink Floyd's albums over Roger's.

Camaero
09-21-06, 02:24 PM

Camaero.. not that there is anything wrong with the albums you just picked up.. but you NEED to get some of Roger Waters albums.. the ones he did after the split..
Roger's music IS the political sarcastic depression flavor of Pink Floyd that we all love!

And when they found our shadows
Grouped 'round the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data in their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
No tears to cry
No feelings left
Amused itself to death

Which one would you recommend?

Sea Demon
09-21-06, 02:38 PM
Anybody like Momentary lapse of reason?

RedMenace
09-21-06, 06:01 PM
Yeah, David Gilmour's later Pink Floyd stuff was great, I wouldnt say as good as the peak era, but definetly stuff worth listening.

jumpy
09-21-06, 06:43 PM
^^
some of his solo stuff ain't bad either - most recently "On An Island".
Perhaps it's not Floyd hehe, but it sure is the 'sound' of floyd in a guitary kind of way.

Camaero
07-12-07, 10:37 PM
I now have Darkside, The Wall, Momentary Lapse, Animals, Division Bell, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle.

I need some more! Any suggestions? My tastes are more towards the Darkside and Wall style, though I really like Division Bell and Wish You Were Hear as well... Actually I like them all but I hope you know what I mean.

Because of that, I am a little leery about getting Piper at the Gates because it seems like it was a totally different band at the beginning... I am not saying that is a bad thing, just untested waters for me that's all.

So, any suggestions? :p

Chock
07-12-07, 10:54 PM
More of a fan of the early stuff, myself, got a lot of the original albums including a mono copy of Piper at the Gates of Dawn (recorded at the same time as Sgt Peppers in the studio next door - one for you trivia fans there), and of course Syd's solo albums, which are some of my favourites.

Being a guitar player, I'm always a fan of those who prefer the Telecaster (as I do), so Barrett and Gilmour, who both used Teles a lot are always on my fave list. Syd was also a user of the Danelectro lipstick guitar too, which is another of my favourite guitars, also favoured by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page incidentally! (you can hear Page playing a Danelectro on Led Zep's Rain Song).

Some of the later Floyd stuff is okay, but I think Roger Waters can get a bit up his own arse personally, and even Gilmour and crew are on record as saying that when they were splitting up, much of the reason for doing so was because RW's stuff at that time 'wasn't up to par' (Dave Gilmour's words). Nevertheless, obviously they patched up their differences, as evidenced by later gigs.

On a side note, one of my friends was buddies with Richard Wright and I had the pleasure of bumping into him once or twice because of that (at a motor racing event - Wright being into racing old MGs at the time).

RIP Syd

:D Chock

kiwi_2005
07-12-07, 11:10 PM
"Wish you were here" and "The wall" are my favourite albums. Went and saw them when they came to NZ about 20 yrs ago at Western Springs Stadium - Auckland. Its was a sell out, walked through the gate with my friends and lost them within minutes so i enjoyed the concert with strangers.
What i remeber was the laser lights display pretty groovy back then:yep:

RedMenace
07-13-07, 12:04 AM
What a coincidence, I just had my arm replaced with a chainsaw.:huh:

ReallyDedPoet
07-13-07, 07:48 AM
"Piper at the Gates of Dawn"

RIP Syd Barrett.

RDP

Tchocky
07-13-07, 07:50 AM
I have one of the first copies of Dark Side to hit Dublin, got the special edition posters (30 years old!) on my wall :D

That said, I prefer Animals or Ummagumma as albums

Heibges
07-13-07, 09:36 AM
When I was younger and a hard core Beatles fan, I resisted listening to Pink Floyd on general principle.

But over years I've liked them more and more and now have Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, and the Wall.

I'm still not a big fan of Piper at the Gates of Dawn though.

swifty
07-13-07, 11:15 AM
I love how Dark Side of the Moon syncs up with the Wizard of OZ. I had herd about it but never saw it until my Music History class in college. When I saw it it cant just be coincidence. David Gilmour had to have planed it.

Sailor Steve
07-13-07, 11:19 AM
Never been a fan. I'm one of the weird ones, I guess.

RedMenace
07-13-07, 11:25 AM

:huh:

We must poke you.... for science!:yep:

*poke*

*poke*

Tchocky
07-13-07, 11:27 AM
Here, take this Science Pole!

Jimbuna
07-13-07, 11:27 AM

Me too :smug:

Thniper
07-13-07, 01:03 PM

Ditto. ;)

Jimbuna
07-13-07, 01:18 PM
I much prefered The Who, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc. :rock:

robbo180265
07-13-07, 01:41 PM
I now have Darkside, The Wall, Momentary Lapse, Animals, Division Bell, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle.

I need some more! Any suggestions? My tastes are more towards the Darkside and Wall style, though I really like Division Bell and Wish You Were Hear as well... Actually I like them all but I hope you know what I mean.

Because of that, I am a little leery about getting Piper at the Gates because it seems like it was a totally different band at the beginning... I am not saying that is a bad thing, just untested waters for me that's all.

So, any suggestions? :p

I would reccomend Roger Waters Radio Kaos as it's the most Floyd sounding of his solo albums IMO.

My favourite Floyd album - Darkside although The Wall is the one I listen to when I'm feeling down

Has anyone seen the Aussie Pink Floyd ? We did earlier on in the year and they are awesome:up:

Sailor Steve
07-13-07, 06:22 PM

:huh:

We must poke you.... for science!:yep:

*poke*

*poke*
*twitch*
"OW! Quit it!"

*twitch*
"OW! Quit it!"

Enigma
07-14-07, 10:53 PM
Huge fan. Own every record, seen them live a few times. Dont listen as much as I used to, but still hold a special place in my heart. i spent my entire senior year of high school in various pink floyd t shirts.

Fave album = Meddle

Iron Budokan
07-16-07, 09:03 PM
I love the Floyd, too, but not sans Waters.