PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling SH3 whilst avoiding starforce

Zero Niner
09-18-06, 09:50 PM
I just got a new PC & would like to install SH3 on it (boxed copy).
How do I install the game without installing Starforce? I want my new rig to be SF-free, since I have a DVD R/W drive, and I read that SF messes this up for some users.
Thanks.
:hmm:

donut
09-18-06, 10:02 PM
Starforce,& Crack,are unspoken of on Subsim forums.:nope: per. Onkel

Zero Niner
09-18-06, 10:40 PM
Even for legit cases? I own a copy, and I just bought a new rig. The current one will be relegated to the kids' den for their use.
Like I said, I do not want Starforce to mess up my rig.

Gizzmoe
09-19-06, 01:33 AM
How do I install the game without installing Starforce?

Installing the game doesn´t install SF, it gets installed when you start SH3. Use Google to find a solution to your problem.

Zero Niner
09-19-06, 03:07 AM
Ah, got that! Thanks! ;)

DanCanovas
09-19-06, 04:46 AM
of course im in no way insinuating that you are up to no good hehe, but we wouldnt want to reveal any information about that on this forum as we support buying this product to give the devs more money so that they might release great new sub sims...like SH4 :up:

stabiz
09-19-06, 05:32 AM
... or my up and coming favourite, Silent Hunter 5, from the sailing ship era. :up: (Yes, I am dreaming)

peterloo
09-19-06, 06:48 AM
Yes, it is true. Well, if u hate SF, download a crack (I can't tell you where to download it since that is a taboo here, just try to obtain it by yourself and use it at your own risk) and after that, use a starforce driver removal tool (which can be got from SF's own official website)

Starforce driver removal tool at http://www.star-force.com/protection/users/

JUST TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF, AT YOUR OWN RISK

There is no alternate mean to do so, since the starforce is built with the main game engine.

If you don't want to use any crack, then the best way is to use the starforce driver removal tool after you have ended the game. This could prevent any crash by starforce driver with other applications

Hope this can solve your problem

america person
09-19-06, 09:02 AM
what if i play the game once, like normal, and then use the star force removal tool after i end that session? would that work? Cos i don't want the bloody thing messing with my laptop? but if i have too ill use it, its just harder to replace the drive in a laptop.

Oi
AP

Pants
09-19-06, 09:34 AM
... or my up and coming favourite, Silent Hunter 5, from the sailing ship era. :up: (Yes, I am dreaming)

Ohh tall ships..would'nt that be great :D

U-snafu
09-19-06, 01:53 PM

Ohh tall ships..would'nt that be great :D

I would pay over a hundred dollars for a copy:yep: --Ive tried salvo and a few others but it just didn't cut it---tall ships with the sh3 engine:ahoy: :up:

kylania
09-19-06, 02:13 PM
of course im in no way insinuating that you are up to no good hehe, but we wouldnt want to reveal any information about that on this forum as we support buying this product to give the devs more money so that they might release great new sub sims...like SH4 :up:

Starforce has nothing to do with preventing piracy, it's nothing more than a legitimate user inconvience tool. We've all bought the game, we're just sick and tired of having to have the DVD in the drive all the time and suffering all the problems of that janky piece of software.

Ubi needs to step up and release a removal tool for SH3 like other companies have that infected their software with Starforce.

Paajtor
09-19-06, 02:15 PM
what if i play the game once, like normal, and then use the star force removal tool after i end that session? would that work? Cos i don't want the bloody thing messing with my laptop? but if i have too ill use it, its just harder to replace the drive in a laptop.

Oi
AP
Would what work?
Remove SF?
Of course that will work.

But SF will reinstall itself, when you insert the game-dvd again next time.

I also have SF-issues, affecting my cd-burning software, to the extend that I can't even burn a simple audio-cd.
But good thing is, that removing SF is taking only 2 secs and 1 reboot.

Gizzmoe
09-19-06, 02:16 PM
I also have SF-issues, affecting my cd-burning software, to the extend that I can't even burn a simple audio-cd.

Have you tried the SF driver update?

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip

Albrecht Von Hesse
09-19-06, 02:38 PM
I guess I got lucky, in that I downloaded the game rather than buying a boxed-CD. I've never seemed to have a problem that I could point to as being StarForce-related.

Now, Microsoft-related, I have tons. Who doesn't, with a crappy OS like that?

Albrecht von Hesse

Paajtor
09-19-06, 02:45 PM
Have you tried the SF driver update?

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip
No, I didn't.
What does it do?

america person
09-19-06, 02:48 PM

Oi
AP Would what work?
Remove SF?
Of course that will work.

But SF will reinstall itself, when you insert the game-dvd again next time.

But good thing is, that removing SF is taking only 2 secs and 1 reboot.

so play the game, and when im done, just uninstall and reboot after i play? well that could work, so there is a bit of good news

Oi
AP

Jimbuna
09-19-06, 03:11 PM
I purchased the original game, installed, removed SF and now use a 'no disc' crack to preserve the condition of my disc...I DO NOT IN ANY WAY CONDONE PIRACY :arrgh!: ...but I do sincerely/honestly believe that once you have purchased the game and 'payed your way' as the saying goes, there shouldn't be a problem as long as you use it strictly for your own personal use.
Let's be honest here, there are probably folk out there and possibly even some on this forum who could well be using versions that are easily downloaded off certain sites.
Me personally...I prefer to support the software company and hope there are enough profits generated to make it worth their while to release the next gaming epic (hopefully SH4) :D
The truth is out there.......but the question is where :hmm:

Zero Niner
09-19-06, 09:51 PM
Hi guys
I asked what I thought was a legit question. Didn't mean to cause a fuss.
FWIW, I own a boxed copy of SH3. And didn't know about Starforce until it was too late.
I don't want to introduce gremlins into my new rig, which is why I asked what I asked.
Gizzmoe's reply gave me the lead that I needed. I already have the necessary software ;) , I just need to be careful about my install, that's all.
TBH, I was driven to this route after cracks appeared on my SH3 DVD (around the centre), and didn't want to risk anymore wear & tear.

Sorry to have caused a minor furore.

Gizzmoe
09-19-06, 11:05 PM
No, I didn't.
What does it do?

The driver update solves (on some machines) some general SF-related problems like CD/DVD detection or CD/DVD burn problems.

Paajtor
09-20-06, 03:49 AM
Ok, thx.