PDA

View Full Version : Convoy dilema.

mcbee
09-18-06, 02:59 AM
Hi all, I've been reading these forums for months now with real interest but have not until now got round to posting.

I wanted some advice on convoy tactics for a specific situation. I was out in a VIIB in late 39 with pretty much a full load of torps. I had a report of a fast convoy (HX I guess) in my vicinity. I took 10 hours to track in down and in the early hourd (about 03:00) I finally got sight of it.:D

The weather was awful with heavy fog, wind speed at 15 (m/s?) and obviously it was pitch black...oh and driving rain. Ok finally arrived at my question.!! ...I tried attacking it several times but my torps seemed to all miss:oops: . I had tried setting them to run at 2m under keel for magnetic and also tried impact pistols at 4m setting. Any advice on what tactics you would have used in this situation??

There was only light convoy protection with a Southampton Class Cruiser and two C-Class Corvettes.

Thanks in advance:up:

(I'm playing GW 1.1a and SH3 Commander 2.6)

bookworm_020
09-18-06, 03:24 AM
Make sure your at least 300 meters away from your target when you fire, as the torpedo takes that long to arm. Magnetic shots can be done a little closer (250m), but may not work in rough weater.

melnibonian
09-18-06, 05:06 AM
Hello

also make sure that the gyro-angle is really small (around 5 deg max) as you minimise the chance of the torpedo missing the target. When you're about to fire check your scope or the UZO. If the small triangle on the target is green it will probably hit. If it's red don't even try it.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

mcbee
09-18-06, 06:56 AM
thanks for the advice.

I have been reading 'Convoy' by Martin Middlebrook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convoy-Greatest-Cassell-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304365785/sr=8-1/qid=1158580438/ref=sr_1_1/202-7115383-0199840?ie=UTF8&s=gateway) which I can't recommend enough. In it there are some excellent descriptions of tactics used against three convoys headed from NY to Liverpool.

Happy Hunting.

mookiemookie
09-18-06, 08:23 AM
I would have shadowed the convoy for a few hours until dawn so as to have a little bit more visibility. But all of the other suggestions people have had are true as well.

bigboywooly
09-18-06, 10:28 AM
One of the biggest things is make sure you open you torpedo tubes well before firing
Press Q
Or the doors will open as you press fire so making the torpedos " late " for your solution

P_Funk
09-18-06, 04:33 PM
To me one of the things which might suggest a reason for all your torps is the weather and the fact that you're using magnetic detonators. In such bad weather a torpedo attack is nigh on impossible. If you dont want to waste more torps just wait for the weather to clear up. The bad weather can make a torpedo's running depth vary considerably and therefore prevent a magnetic fuse from detonating.

mcbee
09-18-06, 04:59 PM
Bigboywooly - thanks for that, sounds obvious but I had missed that one completely!

Probably sounds daft to the old timers but I've taken to writing myself a check list which I run through before each engagement...It goes soemthing like this

1.Check Nationality - you might laugh but I've sunk too many neutrals in my time!
2.Check Crew in correct compartment - again I've fired off torps with no crew:damn:
3.Check Torp settings - depth,speed,spread etc etc
4.Open tube doors - thanks to Bigboywooly for that one:up:
5.Final check for incoming warships -had several slap-downs after forgetting this one.

Have I missed any? probably but its all in the fun of learning.

Happy Hunting.

bigboywooly
09-18-06, 05:27 PM
Bigboywooly - thanks for that, sounds obvious but I had missed that one completely!

Probably sounds daft to the old timers but I've taken to writing myself a check list which I run through before each engagement...It goes soemthing like this

1.Check Nationality - you might laugh but I've sunk too many neutrals in my time!
2.Check Crew in correct compartment - again I've fired off torps with no crew:damn:
3.Check Torp settings - depth,speed,spread etc etc
4.Open tube doors - thanks to Bigboywooly for that one:up:
5.Final check for incoming warships -had several slap-downs after forgetting this one.

Have I missed any? probably but its all in the fun of learning.

Happy Hunting.

Its all a learning curve
Dont rush or panic - if you miss a ship so what
Opening the doors is a simple one but easily forgot - I used to forget all the time
All comes with practice