PDA

View Full Version : I can rest a little easier now...

Subnuts
09-16-06, 03:26 PM
Two hours ago I managed to snag the second to last available copy of Anatomy of the Ship: The Battleship Dreadnought from Amazon.com. I almost managed to get a copy last Christmas, but I ordered it when it was still "ships in 4 to 6 weeks." Knowing my luck, they never got any in stock.

I've heard Sailor Steve recommend this book over and over, and now I can't wait to get ahold of my own. If this book is anything like the one on the Agassiz, I'll never get it out of my face! :D

Sailor Steve
09-17-06, 03:21 PM
It's been nice talking to you.

In a similar vein, an aquaintance of mine recently picked up a copy of The 100-Gun Ship Victory. It's a nice one as well. Of course they all are.

Subnuts
09-18-06, 04:30 PM
It's already on it's way to me, so maybe I should have asked this question earlier(!), but...

How is the detail in this book comparable to the ones on the Flower-class corvette and the Warspite (which I don't own, but I've gotten a good look at)? I looked at the table of contents page on Amazon and there's 52 pages devoted to "lines and constructional details," 43 pages on machinery, and 20 pages on armament.

Either way, I'll get a review going once I own the book and have explored it enough.

Sailor Steve
09-20-06, 12:53 PM
Line-drawing detail in all these books is fabulous, Dreadnought especially so because John Roberts is one of the best.

What I found most useful is that this one, unlike some others, contains the complete listing of trials results: How fast she was with full power, 1/3 power etc. (including draft and displacement at each test), how tight she turned under different conditions and many other items.

It's one of my favorite books.

Subnuts
09-21-06, 11:56 PM
I finally got my copy at around 7 pm and I spent the next five hours absolutely awestruck. The amount of detail is staggering - it makes the Agassiz volume look like a kids book. John Roberts is an amazing draftsman; has he done anything else besides this, and the Intrepid and Hood books?

Now, once I get my thoughts collected (in, oh three or four days :lol:...) I can write a review.

Lurchi
09-22-06, 02:45 AM
... has he done anything else besides this, and the Intrepid and Hood books? John Roberts is also co-writer of the Book series "British Battleships of World War II". I have the complete three book series and -needless to say- it is fantastic. Unmatched detail, drawings and great photos!
:rock:

Sailor Steve
09-23-06, 05:38 PM
...I spent the next five hours...(in, oh three or four days :lol:...)...
Warned ya!:rotfl: :sunny: