PDA

View Full Version : Gato class reload rate

mnordby
08-25-06, 12:52 PM
I just visited USS Silversides, a Gato class museum in Muskegon, MI. The tour guide commented that a torpedo reload could be executed in as little as one minute. Remembering that the reload times for UBoats in SHIII are usually about 10 minutes, I was a little doubtful. But then I noticed the Silversides has the reload fish stired on sliding racks directly behind the tubes. It would only be necessary to pull out the torpedo rack and then slide the weapon forward into the tube using a roller. There were additional stored torpedoes stashed below the floor level, and I'm sure it would be far more time consuming to hoist these up onto the loading racks. However, the first several reloads might well have been done in a short amount of time.

Does anyone have info on just how quickly US Fleet Subs could reload?

WilhelmSchulz.
08-25-06, 12:57 PM
3-5 min I belive

simsurfer
08-25-06, 01:15 PM
3-5 min I belive

Per tube maybe, 5 min x 6 tubes = 1/2 hour. Sound about right.

Subnuts
08-25-06, 01:15 PM
One minute? Yeah, if the Incredible Hulk is part of your torpedo gang. :shifty:

MadMike
08-25-06, 04:00 PM
"At 0245, Sea lion [Balao], ahead of the task force, turned in and slowed for the attack. Eleven minutes later, she fired six torpedoes at the second ship in line. At 0259, she fired three at the second battleship. At 0300, her crew saw and heard three hits from the first salvo, but they had hit and sunk the destroyer, Urakaze, not the first battleship. Shortly thereafter, one torpedo from the second spread hit the second battleship. Sealion opened to the westward. The Japanese searched to the east. By 0310, the submarine had reloaded and began tracking again with the thought that the torpedoes had only dented the battleship's armor belt."

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/s8/sealion-ii.htm

Doesn't specify how many fish were reloaded, but at least gives us an idea how quickly it could be done. Will peruse some patrol reports I have for more details.

Yours, Mike