PDA

View Full Version : new screenshots (8/23/06)

Jmack
08-23-06, 05:43 PM
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/736/736194/imgs_1.html

HunterICX
08-23-06, 06:11 PM
:-? they where new hours ago m8
and these are from the official SHIV website.

:up: Cant wait for SHIV

Jmack
08-23-06, 06:23 PM
well ... they where new to me ... :) sorry

HunterICX
08-23-06, 06:27 PM
:cool: sometimes its better to browse a bit to the New SHIV topics...its was going wild when the Sites of SHIV came online
they even have an Trailer of the game

WilhelmSchulz.
08-23-06, 10:15 PM
More like concept art then screenshot if you ask me.

CWorth
08-23-06, 11:09 PM
More like concept art then screenshot if you ask me.

They are game screenshots..very heavily edited screenshots but screenshots none the less.

Some look like they came right from the cinematic trailer that is on the site.

Driftwood
08-24-06, 06:25 AM
Whatever they are they certainly can't be the finished product. I would imagine they are some kind of rough pre-production stuff to wet our appetites!

Von Hinten
08-24-06, 06:53 AM
they certainly can't be the finished product.
I guess that's the biggest compliment you could have given the SHIV crew, because I really think that those are close to what we'll see when it's out.

I sure hope so, that's for sure. :up:

WilhelmSchulz.
08-24-06, 01:21 PM
Quit kissing ass and realise thoes are concept art.:damn:

trenken
08-24-06, 01:24 PM
Yes it's very safe to say the game will not look like that. I'm sure it will look better than SH3, but not like that.

Gizzmoe
08-24-06, 01:44 PM

Calm down, mate... :)

Loaf
08-24-06, 02:19 PM
You know what I can't figure out? Screenshots for SH IV, III and II all seem to feature battleships at least as much as subs. I could never figure out why this is... Particularly for the U-Boat games, battleships played almost no role in the submarine war. I forget if it was SHII or III where all of the pre-release screenshots seemed to feature the Bismark for some reason... Why?

I guess battleships make for cool-looking screenshots though...

chris911
08-24-06, 02:54 PM
And If they show u pictures of Wildlife in the USA u always see Cougars. but no one sees them in realty, that the same.

People like too see the Hugh Things....:D :D :D

Ark
08-24-06, 02:57 PM

I do believe those are edited in-game screenshots.

Von Hinten
08-24-06, 05:49 PM
... better than SH3, but not like that.
And why not? The picture quality of the 'average' first person shooter can nowadays almost pass for movie quality (think Ghost Recon 4 and the awesome F.E.A.R. for example) so why shouldn't a subsim be any different? I believe that if your hardware can pull the wagon we're going to be darn close to those screens.

-Pv-
08-24-06, 08:13 PM
I also believe those graphics in the screenshots (lighting, clouds, water) are do-able by the better cards. My 2.2Ghz CPU might chug a bit.
-Pv-

WilhelmSchulz.
08-25-06, 11:23 AM

I do believe those are edited in-game screenshots.

Heres a Question. Why would they edit them? And there so early in develoment I dont think screenshots are possible.

Dammit stop kissing UBI's ass, am I the only sensible one here?! :damn:

Safe-Keeper
08-25-06, 11:29 AM
Heres a Question. Why would they edit them?Editing can make a picture look better or more atmospheric.

And there so early in develoment I dont think screenshots are possible.And I beg to differ. They didn't have to re-make the engine, remember?

And there's the trailer, too, which looks very in-game to me. Not to mention the things that are apparently from Silent Hunter III, like the odd crates with one-sided sides.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-25-06, 12:50 PM
Look its compurters. They can do anything anamated now with them. Yes it will take less of a time because they dont have to compleaty re-rite the game engin but the ships are still in develment.

SgtNathan
08-25-06, 01:51 PM
Those are ingame pictures, not CG or Concept Art. They have either been edited (adding extra bubbles or effects to give the pictures a depth-of-field effect) or perhaps the devs have made an Ingame photofilter effect.

Safe-Keeper
08-25-06, 02:09 PM
The latter I remember I suggested earlier, and I still think it'd be awesome.

Yes it will take less of a time because they dont have to compleaty re-rite the game engin but the ships are still in develment.And you know that how?

The ship models in the trailer and shots look finished to me, not "in development". And quality-wise, they look like they could fit nicely.

It is quite simple to take a series of screenshot, pick the best ones, run them through a PhotoShop filter or two, and publish them. Remember the opening film of Silent Hunter III? It was in sepia colour-tones, yet it was in-game graphics.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-26-06, 11:51 AM
Why would they edit them? :damn: And the game just started develmont There wont be any real screenshots for a few months.

Ark
08-26-06, 12:26 PM
Why would they edit them? :damn: And the game just started develmont There wont be any real screenshots for a few months.

If you take away what looks to be a PS filter of some kind, you do have real screenshots.

SHIV uses essentially the same engine as SH3, only they modified it. Development time won't take nearly as long as SH3.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-26-06, 01:39 PM
You hopeless people.:nope:

Safe-Keeper
08-26-06, 02:45 PM
Why would they edit them? :damn: To make them look better?

Why would you paint your house:p?

You hopeless people.:nope:Let's make a bet. If they turn out to be real screenshots (and in-game shots, think "announcement trailer"), you put "RESIDENT MORON" in your signature for a month. If it turns out you're right, we do it:cool:.

Who's in?

John Channing
08-26-06, 04:09 PM
You hopeless people.:nope:

Either settle down, or find somewhere else to post.

Childish behaviour like you have demonstrated in this thread may be allowable at the UbiSoft site, but not here.

You now have been warned twice in this thread.

JCC

WilhelmSchulz.
08-26-06, 04:13 PM
Sorry I am prone to rant. And you guys calling them screenshots kind of set me off.:oops:

The General
08-27-06, 03:37 AM
<No personal attacks, please! - Gizzmoe>

WilhelmSchulz.
08-27-06, 12:38 PM
Im not making them personal.:doh:

The Noob
08-27-06, 12:50 PM
Let's make a bet. If they turn out to be real screenshots (and in-game shots, think "announcement trailer"), you put "RESIDENT MORON" in your signature for a month. If it turns out you're right, we do it:cool:.

Who's in?

I'm in in doing it anyway, no matter whos Right.:D

applesthecat
08-27-06, 12:56 PM
I'm voting that those are artist drawings. It is too soon for screenshots to be out, and too far advanced of SH3, when the graphics engine should be about the same as SH3. Remember, that SH4 is essentially the same engine, with just new ships, new features, new theater. The graphics should be about the same, if not exactly the same.

It is not that the pictures are too detailed to be screenshots, as some games are that detailed. It is simply that you can see that it was painted with a brush with artist colors.

Safe-Keeper
08-27-06, 02:06 PM
<No personal attacks, please! - Gizzmoe>Killjoy:nope:
(:p)

I'm in doing it anyway, no matter whos Right.:D:rotfl:
Good man.

I'm voting that those are artist drawings.What about the trailer? It's got exactly the same graphics. And what about that picture of the PC monitor with the palm trees?

The trailer obviously uses the same models, and it's obviously in-game. It and the screenshots also have a couple of "stowaways" from Silent Hunter III (such as the crates rising from the sinking battleship).

It is too soon for screenshots to be out, and too far advanced of SH3, when the graphics engine should be about the same as SH3.It is about the same as SH3, just with PhotoShop effects added.

It is simply that you can see that it was painted with a brush with artist colors.I'm sure whoever Photoshopped them takes that as a compliment. I would;).

WilhelmSchulz.
08-27-06, 06:39 PM
:nope:

Ark
08-30-06, 12:43 AM
:nope:

You've never seen "Crysis" have you?

All of the videos of actual gameplay in "Crysis" are done on a DX10 prototype.

Graphics beyond what we have now are possible, and working.

donut
08-30-06, 02:35 AM
The water,looks like New York harbor.The sky is to art work,stick to SHIII color theme :nope:

Safe-Keeper
08-30-06, 04:44 AM
If they aren't screenshots, you'd better get on Ubi's butt for lying. They call them screenshots at their official site:p.

The General
08-30-06, 05:59 AM
They are real screen shots. I know they look a bit too good to be true, but if you look carefully you'll see traces of polygons, bitmaps, volumetric smoke and all the tell-tale signs that this is a 3D virtual environment and not some Photoshop artist's impression. In fact one of the reasons I'm excited about SHIV is the improvements they've made to the water. The lighting and colouration looks so real, I just hope they make the surface transparent, like it is in Battlefield 2.

Wilhelmschultz can get as annoyed as he likes but he will still be wrong!

CCIP
08-30-06, 08:33 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3619/onlineshoppingfc9.jpg
:D

Safe-Keeper
08-30-06, 12:47 PM
http://www.hmc.edu/cis/labs/frc/images/photoshop.jpg Best program ever:up:.

Gammel
09-01-06, 04:41 PM
http://www.hmc.edu/cis/labs/frc/images/photoshop.jpg Best program ever:up:.What version is this? It looks familar to me...
(iīve worked with photoshop the late 90īs)

Safe-Keeper
09-02-06, 07:08 AM
No idea. I just "Image-Googled" "Photoshop" and got that screenshot:oops:.

Gammel
09-02-06, 12:19 PM
no problem. :D:up:
was just remembering me at the job i had that time.
I was good with version 3.xx, tried today with actual PS and failed badly, hehe

kapitan_zur_see
09-12-06, 08:25 AM
interesting screenshots... :)
yep, they're indeed heavily photoshoped, it is obvious. One may even be complete concept art (sub on surface at night with moon).
I believe though it is the actual sh4 engine but bubbles are added and especially a depth-of-field filter that won't propably be in the game. the sea surface looks modified also. caustics reflections seems also digitally "hand painted". Nonetheless, this kind of graphics could be rendered with actual graphics card, i believe. Somehow, i hope it will be the case cause nice touches like that really improves graphics and convey a real atmosphere

Immacolata
09-12-06, 09:15 AM
Argh. Bumping of 3 week old thread X.X

Dowly
09-12-06, 09:53 AM
No point on the screenshots they publish, the developement has barely started so the shots are edited heavy handed. All the effects are from SHIII, slightly edited of course. With some work, I could show a screen from a SHIII and say itīs from SHIV. The filter that is used on most of the images (the grainy thing covering the whole image) is excellent to use to cover the photoshopped additions of the image.

WilhelmSchulz.
09-12-06, 07:39 PM
Argh. Bumping of 3 week old thread X.X
I have had bumping of a 5 month thread at UBI

Dowly
09-13-06, 11:18 AM
I dont get it. If someone has soemthing to say to a topic even 10 years old, should he make a new topic for the one post? Silly you are. :yep:

Red Devil
09-20-06, 06:41 AM
Have we got a release date yet?