PDA

View Full Version : Realistic release date

TDK1044
07-30-06, 09:17 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking at how early SH1V is into development, and assuming that the DEVS are going to properly BETA Test the game this time, I think that March/April 2007 is a much more realistic release date than Q4 2006. I for one would rather wait an extra 3 months and know that the game is right, rather than have the game rushed into production which is what I think happened with SH111. Do we have a list of the DEVS working on the game?

ME$$ENGER
07-30-06, 11:13 AM
This whole game is shrouded in mystery right now. There are no screenshots, no videos and very little info has been released. Judging from all these I doubt it's even in the alpha stage. A Q4 2006 release would indeed be unrealistic.

TDK1044
07-30-06, 11:23 AM
I agree with your assesment. Even allowing for the fact that they're going to modify the existing SH111 engine, there's still a very long way to go.

Drebbel
07-30-06, 01:13 PM
The rumour is that SHIV will officially be announce next month. And then we probably also have some more reliable news on the planned release date.

But I personally think Q4 2006 is not going to happen. Even the SubSim news page over at http://www.subsim.com/nucleus/index.php?blogid=4 list Q1 2007

I haven't met anyone yet who thinks Q4 2006 will be the release date, where did you get that info ? Afaik know that has been published last year and no one repeated it ever since.

TDK1044
07-30-06, 02:50 PM
Q4 2006 is indeed outdated information it appears. Let's hope that Q1 2007 is realistic.

Drebbel
07-30-06, 02:54 PM
Yep. Q1 2007 is fine with me. That will give me some time so safe up money for a new computer :D

Safe-Keeper
07-30-06, 03:13 PM
I can wait past Q1 2007, too, if it means the game will be largelly bug-free and given all of its intended features.

Tigrone
07-30-06, 04:53 PM
07-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Dec. 7, 2007. They just assembeled the design team. Real programming may not even have started yet.

Drebbel
07-30-06, 06:07 PM
It is certain programming has already started. Some people even already visted the dev-team in Romania.

Magua
07-31-06, 05:03 PM
December 7th, 2007 :up:

buck28
07-31-06, 05:42 PM
:yep: I agree; lets try to get it as bug free as possible before release. Even though I'm anxious to get it, it's way to frustating having a mile long list of bug's and no patch in sight.
http://home.mchsi.com/~buck28/schultze4.jpg
Schultze U-48

Drebbel
07-31-06, 05:59 PM
I agree; lets try to get it as bug free as possible before release.

That is a very open statement. Any software company tries to get it as bug free as possible before the release.

But when you start beta testing and think when startting out "we can release in 2 months" what will still be acceptable ? A delay of 1 week, or a delay of 6 months. And which bugs are you going to fix. Some people love the current SHIII for others there are just too many bugs to enjoy it. And how are you going to get a budget for 1 week, or 6 months additional programming.

Those are huge problems, imho it is way to simple to state that one wants it as bug free as possible. UBI always tries that (within their budget). The main problem I think is that they don't have a budget to fix all the bugs the community want them to fix.

I just hope the UBI team will have a good feel when the balance between bugs and working features is good enough for a release, or that they have some one that can really suck up to the CEO in order to get a good budget that allows for an extended beta test and a few programmers that can fix the discoverd bugs.

:-)

Wilko
08-05-06, 01:31 AM
Yes, it does come down to how much money you have as well as I spose the CEO wanting to get some return after a certain date.. we can bleat all we want but it is buisness first and game second...

Sailor Steve
08-05-06, 10:56 AM
Dec. 7, 2007.

December 7th, 2007 :up:

That's a long time to wait, but it has such a perfect symmetry to it, I say :up: :rock: :sunny: too!

Safe-Keeper
08-05-06, 11:14 AM
December 7th, 2041:lol:!I'd actually like it if it was released on that date (not year). It'd get it some attention.

sergbuto
08-05-06, 04:28 PM
I agree; lets try to get it as bug free as possible before release.

That is a very open statement. Any software company tries to get it as bug free as possible before the release.

But when you start beta testing and think when startting out "we can release in 2 months" what will still be acceptable ? A delay of 1 week, or a delay of 6 months. And which bugs are you going to fix. Some people love the current SHIII for others there are just too many bugs to enjoy it. And how are you going to get a budget for 1 week, or 6 months additional programming.

Those are huge problems, imho it is way to simple to state that one wants it as bug free as possible. UBI always tries that (within their budget). The main problem I think is that they don't have a budget to fix all the bugs the community want them to fix.

I just hope the UBI team will have a good feel when the balance between bugs and working features is good enough for a release, or that they have some one that can really suck up to the CEO in order to get a good budget that allows for an extended beta test and a few programmers that can fix the discoverd bugs.

:-)

That does not still excuse releasing a buggy game. There should not be any excuse because they are making money on the product and we are paying for it. Period.

Safe-Keeper
08-05-06, 04:46 PM
That is a very open statement. Any software company tries to get it as bug free as possible before the release.Far from all publishers do. Developers, yes. Publishers, no.

And if a game costs too much to release properly, then maybe it should not be undertaken in the first place? I'm not saying Silent Hunter IV will be cancelled, but really, undertake projects you think you can finish and follow up on, not ones that you have to rush and then not patch.

TwistedFemur
08-05-06, 05:09 PM
I bet they are not even done writing the graphics engine

TDK1044
08-06-06, 08:40 AM
Dec 2006 is unrealistic, and Dec 2007 would make the design duration of the game too expensive in terms of production costs. My guess would be May 2007.

enaceo
08-06-06, 09:12 AM
The release date might be tomorow of next year for all we know.There's not even a screenshot of the new game,and all talk about what the dev team has done or not done is mainly speculation.I would say that a release date in early-middle 2007 is pretty realistic,but who knows,they might work hard and maybe release it this year in december or something (but then the dev's might be rushed to finnish,and we may have an unfinished game again,so the longer they work probably the better for us )

Magua
08-06-06, 09:38 AM
December 7th, 2041:lol:!I'd actually like it if it was released on that date (not year). It'd get it some attention.

LOL...Yea, but some of us may be pretty old by then! Or Dead! :doh: