PDA

View Full Version : Call of Juarez

Ilpalazzo
07-30-06, 02:13 AM
Was wondering if anybody here has heard of this game. There is a demo out http://files.filefront.com/Call+of+Juarez+English+Demo/;5315383;/fileinfo.html

I played the demo and it seems like a good game. It's a western theme fps game. I gotta say westerns are sadly underrepresented in video games. The graphics are top notch and from what I hear the full game will have better textures.

If anybody is interested, I suggest looking at the site for features and general info about the game.
http://www.callofjuarez.com/

Expect era specific weaponry (I love those old revolvers and shotguns ^^) and some fun physics for liquids, objects, and people :). I do have one huge problem with the physics, penetration. It seems you can use practically anything as good cover. Then again, how many games actually have bullet penetration? The game's story sounds good enough to be interesting. There are a bunch of other nice features and the ai seems rather intelligent. LoL, and there is some sort of weapon fatigue/malfunction. I don't quite understand it, but it was funny watching the gun explode in my hand on several occasions (it's not a defect, it's a feature!).

The only real bad thing I have to say about this game right now is the awfully quick reloading of the weapons. Doesn't seem very realistic to me, but I guess they wanted to keep a fast pace.

To date, I have yet to play a western themed game that I really liked, but this one looks like a winner.

NeonSamurai
07-30-06, 10:09 AM
Ya im keeping an eye on it.

Pitty Gun was not what they claimed it would be (GTA meets the wild west). Gun was crappy imho and way too short.

Unfortunatly Western themed shooters have hardly been covered at all in the gaming industry. About the only good one was that old classic, Outlaws from Lucasarts.

Ilpalazzo
08-01-06, 04:38 PM
Wow, only one post. Are we the only ones who like westerns here?
Anyway I was at the tweakguides forums and noticed this awesome gameplay video for CoJ, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7PEbCUdkc&NR

About Gun, I have not played it before because I heard it sucked, but I wanted something to hold me over for CoJ so right now I am trying to play Gun. However, I played the first level and quit. Looking to see if there is a way to play high res without horrid stretching. Also seeing if there is a way to turn off the auto aim.

Egan
08-07-06, 12:30 PM
Disapointed it is an fps. I'm still waiting for someone to make a Western RPG - I reckon there might be a killer mod there for Oblivion...

I may buy it anyway. I have a space just now for a halfway decent FPS.

CB..
08-07-06, 05:40 PM
has to be an interesting angle for a western rpg even if only from the gunslinger point of view....raise your stats so your quick draw speed and accuracy goes up far enough for you to challenge the bad guys (or good guys?) and take over a town..etc etc..be the sherrif.. be the bandit.. be the gunslinger ...reckon it's the indian wars hang up that makes it a difficult subject tho--no one quite wants to tackle the area even indirectly???..mind you 30 years ago you couldn't move for western movies on the subject....Political Correctness again?

Ilpalazzo
08-10-06, 07:50 AM
Whoa, a western rpg. You guys just blew my mind. I can't believe there aren't.....any? lol I gave Gun another chance and beat it in one day. There just isn't much to do in that game.

timetraveller
08-14-06, 04:45 PM
Tried this demo today on my new machine. Very fun. I am blown away at the graphics and atmosphere of it all. Can't wait for the retail.

New machine:
AMD 4000+
Biostar NVIDIA 7600GT 256MB
1.5GB ram

However, I would hate to think how it would run on my old Intel 2.4 P4. I don't think it would handle it. Better have a good machine to run this game at max settings.

TT