PDA

View Full Version : Red Orchestra

blue3golf
07-29-06, 04:24 PM
Ya know, I've been seeing it everytime I walk into stores lately, debating whether to pick it up or not. Just looking for opinions on it b4 I go waste my money.

bradclark1
07-29-06, 04:42 PM
You want fun, get Day of Defeat: Source. I have both and I haven't touched RO since. The main thing I think is better senarios. A good amount of RO you are dead before you get to do anything. You can get zapped just as fast in DoD but at least you know why. Aiming is better too.

Seeadler
07-29-06, 05:23 PM
I like the tank battles in RO but it works only if you form up a good tank team, driver, gunner and commander ...alone in a tank you will die fast:)

Ilpalazzo
07-29-06, 05:50 PM
Hey guess what, http://www.redorchestragame.com/ news on the page. Those of you hesitating to buy this game....

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 Free Full-Game Trial via Steam (Aug 2 through Aug 7)

Roswell, GA, July 25, 2006: Tripwire Interactive is pleased to announce a free full-game trial for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. From Wednesday August 2 through Monday August 7, players can download and play the full multiplayer game via Steam.
The free trial will come on the heels of Red Orchestra’s soon to be released Free Booster Pack. The original game features 13 maps, 28 weapons and 14 crewable vehicles. Just 4 months after release, the Free Booster Pack and previous updates add a large number of new features including:

- A full new map, Lyes Krovy, a brutal close-quarters fight for a German trench-and-bunker position in a forest in northern Russia in the summer of 1944. Soviet forces attack a strongly-fortified position, while the Germans fight hard to hold them off. Lyes Krovy has rapidly become a favourite with the Tripwire test team!
- A new weapon system - smoke grenades. On select maps, infantry commanders will now have smoke instead of explosive grenades, which can be used to create quick cover for assault routes, or to momentarily blind the defenders. We're finding that clever use of smoke can change tactical stalemates at a stroke!

- Two new weapons - the German MP41 sub-machine gun and the Soviet M44 rifle.
- Numerous other changes to the tank armour penetration systems; the tank reloading system and changes to the victory conditions to prevent stalemates.

Now you can see for yourself why Wargamer says “Red Orchestra: Ostfront is a marvellous game: a work of art, and a work of love. In some aspects it is the most demanding but also the most rewarding shooter ever produced.”

I don't know about you but I will be trying it. Ever since it came out I have been waiting for some sort of demo. I hear it is sort of an acquired taste.

Winston
07-29-06, 06:54 PM
If you looking for a more realistic WWII shooter then go for Red Orchestra over Day of Defeat. Dod is more like a death match game with people running about at full speed and if your like myself, looking for a game that puts you in the boots of a soldier then dod does not cut it.
Playing RO you’ll have to use iron sites to aim and also lead your targets at longer ranges. When not using Iron sites you have to aim from the hip with no crosshair. Also moving around in the open is a sure way to get killed. You have to move similarly to how a real soldier would move, keeping his head down & sprinting from cover to cover while a friendly machine gun lays down surprising fire to cover you teams advance.
The guns are more accurate than dod:s weapons. With a steady hand and a bit of practice you’ll be picking ‘em off a very long ranges. Fire fights in dod take place at about 5 to 50 yards. In RO you’ll be regularly shooting 100 to 200 plus yards with a bolt action rifle. That’s not to say there is no close quarter fighting, there can be quite a lot depending on the map your playing. You get to drive tanks but I avoid them my self…There all right but I get more fun as an infantryman with my rifle then in a tank. Always funny to grab a panzerfaust off a dead German and blow one in the arse.

To summarize, it depends what you’re looking for and what sort of shooters you generally gravitate too. If your looking for quick game where you’ll spend most of your time running and gunning between flags then grab dod:s. If you’re looking for a more tactical game where you’ll spend most time darting for cover as bullets wiz over your head as you advance to an objective then get your self RO.

blue3golf
07-29-06, 09:03 PM
I'm gonna try that free trial, good looking out there Ilpalazzo. Thanks for the replys everyone, after reading this think I'm gonna get it, I'm not so much into arcade style shooters as realistic ones, I don't need to put the one hitter quitter in anyone to have fun, personally I prefer the shoot and move games. I'll look into that DoD game too though, who knows, maybe I'll have to compromise and get both.:D

bradclark1
07-30-06, 01:34 PM
Dod is more like a death match game with people running about at full speed and if your like myself, looking for a game that puts you in the boots of a soldier then dod does not cut it.

You have two deathmatch type maps on DoD. Those are meant to be. The rest is urban. You run around at full speed on those and you are dead quick. The urban combat in RO is the same way.
Half of RO is for tanks and like someone said you have to be part of a crew or you are dead. The other half is infantry with the exception of Konigsplatz which is both.
DoD has iron sight's for rifle so I'm not sure what Winston meant.
Best thing is to try both.
The main plus for DoD is it has objectives to capture and it is all infantry. If you are feeling crazy and just want to kill you can deathmatch.
The minus on RO is you have to iron sight or you are going to miss. I don't exactly see what is so great about that.
Again. Try both. I thought RO was hot until DoD came out.

SUBMAN1
07-30-06, 02:49 PM
Careful what you are buying when you pick up Red Orchestra. Red Orchestra used to be and probably still is an add-on for UT2004. They garnered one of the top mods in a contest for UT2004 modding. I've played quite a bit with it at one point and had some fun.

If you want Red Orchestra for free, you have to have UT2004. You can get the mod here:
http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x?cat=2561

Another good UT2004 mod is Alien Swarm (If you like the old movie aliens). It transforms UT into a top down tactical shooter that is full on action:
http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x?cat=2250

Some info on Alien Swarm can be found here:
http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/info

bradclark1
07-30-06, 05:12 PM
Red Orchestra used to be and probably still is an add-on for UT2004.
You don't need UT2004 for the commercial version of RO. It's a standalone.

SUBMAN1
07-30-06, 05:14 PM
Red Orchestra used to be and probably still is an add-on for UT2004.
You don't need UT2004 for the commercial version of RO. It's a standalone.

Oops - need better wording. Thanks for clarifying.

-S

bradclark1
07-30-06, 06:00 PM
Double oop's on that. :oops: I just remembered it said it does need UT2004. However I did uninstall that 10GB monster and RO still plays with whatever is left on the uninstall which still stands at 3GB with RO in the UT2004 folder.

SUBMAN1
07-30-06, 07:01 PM
Double oop's on that. :oops: I just remembered it said it does need UT2004. However I did uninstall that 10GB monster and RO still plays with whatever is left on the uninstall which still stands at 3GB with RO in the UT2004 folder.

Well there ya go. It is entertining to play online, though I did get bored with it over time.

-S

Winston
07-31-06, 01:46 AM
You have two deathmatch type maps on DoD. Those are meant to be. The rest is urban. You run around at full speed on those and you are dead quick. The urban combat in RO is the same way.

For my part I still maintain that the urban combat in RO is quite different in dod. I play dod a bit with some of my clan buddy’s and I'm quite an aggressive player going for objectives. I find that if I grab an smg or one of the assault weapons I can get a good score while still capping most of the objectives in the round. The tactics I find my self using are constantly moving and trying to flank past enemies. The weapons have a very large ‘cone of fire’ (my personal feelings are that it’s too big) so it pays to get close to the target. The maps in dod generally tend to be much smaller too lending to more action taking place. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fun game in its way but RO is different. As I said before it pays in RO to keep your head down, sprinting from cover to cover. Running around you do end up dead quick. Call me a masochist I like crawling around in the dirt as bullets whiz over head.

Half of RO is for tanks and like someone said you have to be part of a crew or you are dead. The other half is infantry with the exception of Konigsplatz which is both.

Yep got a point, of you don’t like tanks then some of the maps can be annoying. However you can always find another server or just play the map out. However, I’d have to say killing tanks as an infantry man in very satisfying. Tanks generally with out infantry support are fodder for clever and sneaky people who come from behind with a Panzerfaust or other anti-tank weapon. When you explode a full tank it’s very satisfying. All in all I don’t mind avoiding the tanks and going by foot. Hiding/Fighting them can be very fun.

DoD has iron sight's for rifle so I'm not sure what Winston meant.

RO has iron sites for all the weapons and not just the rifles which lends to a more authentic feel if like me you’re looking for a more realistic representation of WWII
Dod for the most part uses crosshairs.

Best thing is to try both.

Don’t forget to give them both a few weeks to grow on you.

The main plus for DoD is it has objectives to capture and it is all infantry. If you are feeling crazy and just want to kill you can deathmatch.

There are plenty infantry only maps in RO, all with a large selection of weapons. To be frank there are plenty of FPS out there that you can deathmatch in. I myself regularly play other games like Counter Strike etc. if I’m in that frame of mind. I think it’s refreshing that there is a game out there that caters to someone like me.

The minus on RO is you have to iron sight or you are going to miss. I don't exactly see what is so great about that.

As you can guess this is a positive from my perspective. As I say there is plenty of traditional fps out there that rely on crosshairs for aiming. What for me is so great about it is it feels more like a rifle in your hands and if you use it well your deadly. Also aiming from the hip is not imposable, even with a bolt action rifle. It takes some practice but it can be done.

To summarize a second time, this is a game which you either love it very much or it just fails to push you buttons. If you do love it you will be playing it for a long time.

Seeadler
07-31-06, 02:31 AM
I just remembered it said it does need UT2004.

There are two different versions available!

1. Red Orchester the UT2004 mod.
With this mod the RO modding team wons the "Make something Unreal" contest and earn much $$$ and the commercial license of the Unreal 2.5 engine

2. Red Orchester: Ostfront 41-45 (commercial standalone)
With the Unreal license in their hand, the modding was picked up by a publisher and he funded the development of this standalone product which is improved in graphics, sound, fx and gameplay over the former RO mod version.

SUBMAN1
07-31-06, 12:02 PM
I just remembered it said it does need UT2004.
There are two different versions available!

1. Red Orchester the UT2004 mod.
With this mod the RO modding team wons the "Make something Unreal" contest and earn much $$$ and the commercial license of the Unreal 2.5 engine

2. Red Orchester: Ostfront 41-45 (commercial standalone)
With the Unreal license in their hand, the modding was picked up by a publisher and he funded the development of this standalone product which is improved in graphics, sound, fx and gameplay over the former RO mod version.
So has gameplay changed much? Or can you get a good feel from the mod before buying the actual game? I just want to know if its worth the $$$.

blue3golf
07-31-06, 02:44 PM
I ended up grabbing DoD off the shelf, only because its 10 dollars cheaper though.

Seeadler
07-31-06, 04:05 PM
So has gameplay changed much? Or can you get a good feel from the mod before buying the actual game? I just want to know if its worth the $$$.
you can try the full game From Wed, Aug 2 to Mon Aug 7
more at: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=roFreeWeekend
preload is available now!

bradclark1
07-31-06, 06:19 PM
Oh, it's well worth the $20.00.

FAdmiral
08-22-06, 11:19 PM
Here are some screenshots I took of the SP games I played:

http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Scratch 1 Tiger .jpg
Scratch 1 Tiger
http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Tiger goes BOOM .jpg
Tiger goes BOOM
http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Anti-Tank Rifle in Action .jpg
Anti-Tank Rifle in Action
http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Just waiting for Germans .jpg
Lying in wait for some Germans
http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Scratch 2 Germans .jpg
Scratch 2 Germans
http://www.fadmiral.org/REDOH1/Real looking ground .jpg
Looks like real stones & ground to me

JIM

stabiz
10-04-06, 05:21 PM
Red Orchestra is easily better than DoD. (If you like the idea of playing a REAL soldier on the battlefield)

No game to date - not one - has captured the claustrophobia of suddenly being alone better. :up:

PS: DoD is good too, but feels more like CS with KAR98`s.