PDA

View Full Version : Distant Guns (Russo-Japanese War ) Release!!

07-27-06, 01:08 PM
Is about to being released tommorow!!!!! :rock::rock:

straight from ther newsletter.

Greetings Storm Eagle Fans!

“I hear the mutter of distant guns, which call and call to me,
Singing: "Come! The day is here for which you have waited long."

From the poem Guns at Sea, Imtarfa, 1917.

The words of this great poem are so perfect for today! Storm Eagle Studios is proud to announce that our debut title, Distant Guns: The Russo-Japanese War at Sea, has gone GOLD, and will be available for sale on July 28th, 2006.

The release of this first installment marks the beginning of a new chapter in historical gaming! Built on the Next Gen 3D Distant Guns engine, The Russo-Japanese War at Sea delivers all the action you would expect from a top notch 3D simulation combined with all the detail you would expect from a serious historical simulation. The result is an engrossing blend of both that lets the gamer have as much or as little as they choose.

Jim Rose, Kapellmeister of Storm Eagle Studios, said “Our efforts have delivered very large dividends. We have labored long and paid very close attention to all the details. This combined with our new Direct Delivery System have resulted in a whole new approach to historical gaming. Distant Guns: The Russo-Japanese War at Sea is just the tip of the spear. In the coming months, we will be introducing exciting new titles, designed to deliver the ultimate in 3D gaming.”

Norm Koger, Maestroof Storm Eagle Studios, said “At long last, the Russo-Japanese War is receiving the treatment it deserves: a no-holds-barred, cinematic quality, play experience. As our first offering, Distant Guns: The Russo-Japanese War at Sea says a lot about the direction in which we plan to take computer wargaming over the next few years. So expect fresh, new topics, exotic names and places, and of course: the call of Distant Guns.

The trial version of Distant Guns: The Russo-Japanese War at Sea should appear on your favorite file download sites over the next few days. Try the game out, and let us know what you think. We look forward to hearing from you.

Gammel
07-28-06, 04:47 AM
Downloading the trial now! (horrible slow) :D

Anyone already played?

How can i buy the game in germany? I have no credit card... :-?

Hellcat
07-28-06, 07:59 AM
Played for a half hour last night, I'm having some fun with it. It's a significant change from what I'm used to playing (Fighting Steel) though once you get used to the GUI everything is alright. I need more time to figure a few things still.

Malefactor
07-28-06, 11:04 AM
Looks interesting.I think I'll download the trial now and give it a try as well. :up:

bill clarke
07-28-06, 07:06 PM
Where do I find the trial version ? please ? and will it be available to buy in store or on line ?

Sulikate
07-28-06, 08:00 PM
I'm downloading the trial.

obs: next-gen engine? what does it mean exactly?

timetraveller
07-28-06, 08:47 PM
Looks good, but OMG, $65 for a game??? And it doesn't even have the campaign for this price (I know, campaign is free now, but costs $24.95 later).

$90 for a game or even $65 is a no starter for me.

TT

bill clarke
07-28-06, 09:29 PM
Is that $65 US dollars or Euros or what ?

Gizzmoe
07-28-06, 09:51 PM
US dollars.

bill clarke
07-28-06, 09:59 PM
Well mate SHIII cost me $90 Aus

timetraveller
07-28-06, 11:11 PM
Well mate SHIII cost me $90 Aus

SH3 cost me $40 US when it first came out. AND, it had a campaign.

Most games in the US go for around $40 US. But $65?? (and eventually $90 US when they start charging $25 additionally for the campaigns). What a nice increase to the profit margin, and especially for a game that's downloadable only....no box, no CD, and a manual you have to print using your own ink!!!

I don't need it that badly.

Check out Pacific Storm. Due out the end of August.

TT

Ilpalazzo
07-29-06, 05:46 PM
I tried the Distant Guns trial for a while. It looks like a good game but I honestly cannot see myself paying 65 USD for it. I actually thought it was a budget title for like $20 or $30, I was ready to buy it before I saw the real price. If anybody has bought it can you say if it is worth it? That campaign better be long and I would expect a lot of battles.

bill clarke
07-30-06, 04:17 AM
Was just over at the web site, they have a special on buy the original get the campain free !, works out to $84 Aus dollars, I paid $90 for SHIII, I know, no box, or manual, but seems like areasonable deal to me (but then I'm not real bright :doh: ).
I down loaded the trial version, and it looks ok, though only had a couple of goes at it.

GlobalExplorer
07-30-06, 06:48 AM
If you want to see computer simulations in the future better get used to paying higher prices. For me it makes perfect sense that you have to pay 100, 200 or even 500 $ in order to allow production for a niche market. If you're not happy with it, buy mainstream simulations.

I am not yet saying that DistantGuns is worth it, because I have to find a dl link that works, but if it's good, I'll be glad to pay for it.

bradclark1
07-30-06, 02:11 PM
I downloaded it to see what it was like. Pretty neat, but not my cup of tea. Pity.

RickC Sniper
07-30-06, 05:15 PM
I played the demo it for awhile. The interface is a bit clumsy (at least for me) and I'll not be buying it. Not for that price.

RickC

07-31-06, 01:35 AM
The price is fair okey, all new games in the Netherlands for the Pc are around 65 dollar, some from the bigger publishing companies are even more expensive.

XabbaRus
07-31-06, 11:32 AM
I tried it, I couldn't figure out how to get my ships to target the nearest lone Japanese ship...Found it awkward so I don't think I will be getting it.

GlobalExplorer
07-31-06, 11:55 AM
I tried it yesterday. It has potential, but I'm not impressed enough to buy it. I would also like to see the campaign game. I think especially with the immanent release of Pacific Storm they have to offer a bit more.

But it's a commendable effort of an indy developer, and it has potential.

07-31-06, 12:03 PM
It's ingame interface might take some time for most to get full comfortable with.
For me it took two battles to understand how it operates and i must say that it's pretty fine.
It's not just that C&C or Blitzkrieg click style, but it's good enough.

The campain which is dynamic makes it a worthy game, without it it would be poor.

Mr. Koger did a excellent job on this game! :up:

Hellcat
07-31-06, 09:45 PM
Spent some more time playing around with the demo, the UI is a headache (with more time I could get used to it). I find it tedious to look through the flyouts for basic (too basic?) commands. I'm having a hard time with this one and without seeing the campiagn in action I really can't jump on board at this point.

bill clarke
08-02-06, 07:02 AM
I have just been playing the trial and it just CTD for some reason, also and I swear this is true, and I haven't had a drop to drink.....there was a UFO hovering over the battle at one time :huh: :hmm: Has anyone seen this ?

Seeadler
08-02-06, 11:18 AM
...there was a UFO hovering over the battle at one time :huh: :hmm: Has anyone seen this ?
Not an UFO but submerged operating ships:ping:
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/91/3063991/1280_3562383233656339.jpg

08-02-06, 12:30 PM
That's because you actually cant see that ship from your location.
Sort of fake horizon simulation. But it's effective.

So who did bought this game allready?

I did! that's now 1:0

Hellcat
08-02-06, 01:23 PM
Damn I'm really on the fence now, I've kicked the tar outta the russians in the demo mission. (sinking all 3 for no losses and only light damage to 3 ships) I'll make up my mind before that sale they have going ends. (aug 30th I think)

PeriscopeDepth
08-02-06, 02:10 PM
I bought it... and was up until four in the morning playing it. The customer service is the best I've ever seen, I posted that I was having problems in the SZO forums and Jim Rose (that name should be familiar to wargamers) even offered to give me a call and walk me through some solutions. What minor bugs there are will probably be squashed pretty soon.

PD

Seeadler
08-02-06, 02:40 PM
I try it but don't buy it, not my kind of games I prefer for now...

perisher
08-03-06, 08:33 AM
Excellent game. A little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of the contols it beats the hell out any other fleet combat sim.
Campaign is very good, but you have to be careful who you give orders to, it's very easy to send the wrong squadron to sea. Only gripe I have so far is that on the campaign map ship divisions are forced to sail in line ahead, which is worst possible formation when scouting for the enemy.

Sonarman
08-03-06, 01:00 PM
I bought it too and must say it's very impressive in most areas although I wish that they had gone more for a simmy Task Force 1942 style interface. One where you view the action from the bridge or observation platform of the lead ship and plot courses on a 2d chart rather then the 3d strategy game type seagulls eye view. That would have been more realistic and atmospheric.

RickC Sniper
08-07-06, 01:07 PM
I have just been playing the trial and it just CTD for some reason, also and I swear this is true, and I haven't had a drop to drink.....there was a UFO hovering over the battle at one time :huh: :hmm: Has anyone seen this ?

I saw that UFO several times. A curious oddity.

Bis71
08-09-06, 12:10 PM
Not only is that UFO there but also that flight of Navy divebombers that got lost in the Bermuda Triangle. There's more Easter Eggs. Tactical game lworks fine for me but the campaign game crashes on Day 2.

IronOutlaw
08-11-06, 06:50 AM
Hi guys!

I just looked up the SES web site and quickly read through the FAQ's but I saw no mention of the "buy it now and get the campaign for free" stuff.

Is this offer still on?

I have tried the trial scenario a couple of times and, like others have said, it takes some getting used to, but is definitely fun. The sound effects of the guns firing is music to my ears!

I wonder, will they do WW I next with all those great ships???

PeriscopeDepth
08-13-06, 01:39 AM
The deal expires 8/31 I believe. After that you have to come up with the full $90 for the game.

I do wonder what the devs will come out with next. My guess is WWI or the Spanish American War.

IronOutlaw
08-14-06, 03:18 AM
Thanks periscope depth!

Looks like I'd better take the plunge soon!

Bis71
08-18-06, 06:43 AM
The deal combing the tactical game and campaign game is now permanent.

mopedmoppel
08-20-06, 06:19 AM
We had maked a Preview of Distant Guns some Days ago and now we have a Review in German and in few days the Review also in english.

looks http://www.marinesims.de/site/latest/distant-guns-6.html

dcb
08-22-06, 04:29 AM
there was a UFO hovering over the battle at one time :huh: :hmm: Has anyone seen this ?

I saw the UFO too, and it really is a flying saucer, as depicted by movies. if you put the mouse on it, it displays something like [object ufo.tgk] or very similar. sort of an easter egg, I think.
Now about the game. I just installed the demo last night and I played the only mission available, for about two hours. Apart from seeing the UFO, I also saw... a VERY UNINSPIRED (and I'm polite about it!) interface. No possibility to adjust time compression - or none that I could find, at least, which is still bad. Compared to the real gem that is Fighting Steel, Distant Guns loses in every aspect, especially the interface. Even the graphics would be fine back in Y2K, but now the game looks outdated.
The camera control is also a pain. Each time I wanted to center it on a ship, it jumped far away from the action.
Plus there is no way to control the ship's weapons (remember Fighting Steel and its great control upon each ship?). For instance, at a moment my cruisers were nearly colliding with the enemy, but still they launched no torpedo - and they have torpedos, according to their description. I would have ordered them to do so, but there's no control over the weaponry.
It's difficult even to order a turn in formation in the direction you want. The yellow lines indicating the direction seem to have a life of their own, there's no fine tuning of the heading, and you are only able to turn roughly in a given direction.
And to ask a total of 90 USD for such a game, if you want it to be complete, with campaign and everything??? IMO it's too much.
Sorry if I sound too bitter, but I so much awaited this game that now I feel double disappointed. But this is just a personal opinion.
All of you who like it, enjoy and have a good time!

Bis71
08-22-06, 10:08 AM
F7, F8 and F9 controls time. I agree with you about the camera controls. The entire game WON'T be $90.

dcb
08-23-06, 03:33 AM
F7, F8 and F9 controls time.
Thanks! Will try it again, but I still feel no appeal toward it. Maybe as I get used to it...

TteFAboB
08-25-06, 07:18 PM
Got it a few days ago.

Terrible interface. But good gameplay nonetheless. Too bad there isn't any custom battle option. That would be great to get to know the ships and practice manouvers.

:up:

Bis71
08-25-06, 07:39 PM
They may be adding ship choice to the battle generator.