PDA

View Full Version : Ice Station Zebra

Marcantilan
07-25-06, 02:36 PM
Went last friday to the DVD store to buy "Battle of Britain". They didnīt have that glorious film, and short story, I left the building with a copy of the 1968 classic "Ice Station Zebra".

What a wonderful movie! Specially enjoyed the first half, set in the interior of "SSN Tigerfish" (really, a mocked up Guppy).

The movie have everything, from subs, to paratroopers, to James Bond style spies, even MiGs.

Recommended to everyone interested in sub movies (itīs a pretty realistic movie, reminds me "Hunt for Red October" in many parts), specially from the cold war era.

Torplexed
07-25-06, 10:23 PM
Apparently there is a remake in the works with Colin Farrell in the Rock Hudson role. This version supposedly will more closely follow the plot line of the original Allistar McLean novel. :cool:

STEED
07-26-06, 07:38 AM
Went last friday to the DVD store to buy "Battle of Britain". They didnīt have that glorious film, and short story, I left the building with a copy of the 1968 classic "Ice Station Zebra".

What a wonderful movie! Specially enjoyed the first half, set in the interior of "SSN Tigerfish" (really, a mocked up Guppy).

The movie have everything, from subs, to paratroopers, to James Bond style spies, even MiGs.

Recommended to everyone interested in sub movies (itīs a pretty realistic movie, reminds me "Hunt for Red October" in many parts), specially from the cold war era.

A great film for it's time.:up: :up:

STEED
07-26-06, 07:39 AM
Apparently there is a remake in the works with Colin Farrell in the Rock Hudson role. This version supposedly will more closely follow the plot line of the original Allistar McLean novel. :cool:

Sounds interesting any update information. :)

Torplexed
07-26-06, 07:44 PM

Here's a link....http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050515m.php

bradclark1
07-26-06, 08:31 PM
I loved that movie. Funny enough I was thinking about it just last week. I'll have to try and find it on dvd.

Captain Nemo
07-27-06, 04:40 AM
Great movie, I also have it on DVD.

The submarine used in Ice Station Zebra was the USS Ronquil (SS-396). Her hull number was repainted to 509.

Also, the aircraft models used in the specials effects are MIG's but the real planes that fly over the sub are F-4's.

Nemo

Marcantilan
07-27-06, 11:48 AM
Yep, the enemy planes are scale models of Mig - 21īs.

I think was hard, for a western film crew, to obtain a "real" Mig 21 back in 1968!!!! :hmm:

fredbass
07-27-06, 12:22 PM
A little trivia for you:

Howard Hughes, who was of course one of the richest and most eccentric persons ever, being a movie director as well as an Aviator and having other financial interests, was obsessed with "Ice Station Zebra". He would stay at home and watch it over and over and over, like a hundred times.

Very weird in deed.

STEED
07-27-06, 02:58 PM

Here's a link....http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050515m.php

Cheers Torplexed :up:

Arno
08-01-06, 12:44 PM
sounds great... I've never seen the movie... didnt know it was good...:oops:
But I've always been a big fan of the book, though, just the right book for the cold days around christmas ;)

cheers,
Arno

Driftwood
08-01-06, 05:46 PM
A classic sub movie and a "must have" for any collector of sub movies. :up: And if my aging memory serves me correctly it also won an Oscar for special effects.

FAdmiral
08-01-06, 07:04 PM
Only one thing in that movie that really irked me:
A marine captain (Capt. Lislie Anders played by Jim Brown) would have NEVER
given in to the spy (Boris Vaslov played by Ernest Borgnine) by giving up his
only weapon. He should have died (or maybe not) trying to use it because the
only outcome had him dying anyway...

JIM

Sailor Steve
08-01-06, 08:32 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Like Breakheart Pass, I thought the movie was an improvement.

Torplexed
08-01-06, 09:11 PM
Yeah...Too bad they can't resurrect Charles Bronson for this one. :cry: