PDA

View Full Version : Help for beginners - suggestion ??

sfbrain
07-22-06, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

What a great game, and i enjoy reading about all your exploits and seeing all those mods and extensions created for SHIII.

What would be very helpful would be if a 'Sticky' message could be added to the forum that was designed to get complete beginners (like me), up and running.

I would love to know, what mods to add and how to add them without crashing my software.

Perhaps a guide to the bug fixes and the most commonly used mods to create an improved and (bug fixed) base platform.

Just a tried and tested collection of mods to help us 'new boys', looking at all the stuff you experts have done is very daunting for people like me, and to be honest, is putting me off, because its difficult to work out, what is needed without causing install problems.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to extend the game and join you guys in this forum.

What does everyone think ?

All the best

Sfbrain

SnowStan
07-22-06, 11:33 AM
Good suggestion, I could that too, just started playing this game.

Harmsway!
07-22-06, 01:40 PM
Looking at all these mods is like Christmas presents under a tree. All those boxes which one do you open first. Once you choose one do you spend time with it? That can be tough with all those fine wrapings waiting to be torn open.

Don't be put off just play the defualt sim ( with Patch ) and enjoy. Later add one of the Super Mods and enjoy.

I've tried a whole bunch of Mods but when I got my new computer last month I installed only these so far;

SHIII(official patch)
GW(without 24h fatique)
GoBack(key command to back out of periscopes)
Hires small moon (I don't like the GW moon)

Eventualy I'll add some more eyecandy but what I listed above is the basic setup I insist on having. And also know where your careers are stored and back them up. Mine are stored here;

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers

Too many other family members mess about in My Documents to leave them unprotected.

Harmsway!
07-22-06, 01:47 PM
Oh and since your a newbie don't be put off by the "Wild Night" avatar. It's just been a long time at sea. I can't help it.

henny4453
07-22-06, 01:47 PM
Good suggestion, I could that too, just started playing this game.

Henny

stabiz
07-22-06, 02:25 PM
Oh and since your a newbie don't be put off by the "Wild Night" avatar. It's just been a long time at sea. I can't help it.

Huh? All people have avatars that change based on a postcounter, right? I dont see any wild nihgt-thingy.

Sailor Steve
07-22-06, 02:28 PM
It's one of several that seems to come and go at random. Maybe you'll be 'lucky' enough to get it yourself some day.

NeonSamurai
07-22-06, 02:41 PM
Tell ya what ill put together a unified link thread with all the major links etc i can find with tips etc and get one of the mods in this corner of the woods to sticky it

Sailor Steve
07-22-06, 02:48 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=78792&page=5
The list was originally at the very start of the thread, but got dropped somehow. This is the repost. Note that not all of the links work anymore, and it hasn't been updated in a while.

Scroll down a ways for the list.

NIGHTFIGHTER
07-22-06, 05:08 PM
Great idea! i must addmit i find it all very hard to follow what is required to get the best out of this already fantastic game, and i feel it would help us newbys to stop making silly mistakes and asking what to the experanced would be daft questions. I of course put myself in this class as i have asked what then was a serious question only now to realise if i had greater understanding of the downloads i have in the game.....i wouldn't look quiet the burke.:lol:

NeonSamurai
07-22-06, 05:13 PM
Ok finished for now my newbie help thread

SH3 Newbie Guide Links and other helpfull stuff (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96026)

That thread should have links to everything you will need as a new player, including mods and other stuff.

Btw the updated mods list Sailor Steve posted is on page 5 now (or just go to my thread for the updated post)

NIGHTFIGHTER
07-22-06, 05:28 PM
Nice One:up: Neonsamurai many thanks.:rock:

NeonSamurai
07-22-06, 05:30 PM
Thats why im here :)

stabiz
07-22-06, 05:56 PM
Really? I`m here because of all the girls and the free booze! :D

NIGHTFIGHTER
07-22-06, 06:00 PM
Oh God what id give for some of that right now stabiz, but at the moment im at work:-?

NeonSamurai
07-22-06, 06:50 PM
Good luck finding any of that here :up:

A forum dedicated to submarine simulation games, wow now that's a girl magnet if ive ever seen one :yep: :nope: :rock:

sfbrain
07-23-06, 02:02 AM
Thanks very much,

A great and quick response from the regulars

Appreciate the help.

Just one thing ????? ................ cant find the mod containing the girls and booze :p :p :p

sfbrain

catar M
07-23-06, 06:48 AM
Hey fellows I'm new as well where I can get this"GO BACK MOD" can't find it in downloads

NeonSamurai
07-23-06, 10:35 AM
That one was a custom one me and some others came up with and posted notes on how to do it, not sure if it was ever realy available as a "Download". Im also not sure if the thread going over it all still survives (I doubt it, most of the old modding threads done here are gone it seems). All it is is an edit of the key configuration file Commands_en.cfg

I would offer you the custom one i wrote, but mine has alot of other keys changed.

However i belive the next version of grey wolves will be including it in its next release.

If people realy want it though i could make a general one for you all and put it up on rapidshare

Harmsway!
07-27-06, 07:21 AM
I still have the GoBack file zipped up and could post it on my website for download. I'm not at home now so hopefully I'll remember to do it later.

Just one thing ????? ................ cant find the mod containing the girls

After many years of Silent Service, AOD, SHI & II the SHIII nurses at port and the pinup girls got us old subsimmers weak in the knees.

Harmsway!
07-27-06, 07:27 AM
As far as booze..did you ever notice the motorcycle chap or the fellow going in and out of the security booth. Shore duty has been good to them. Too good.

Sailor Steve
07-27-06, 10:27 AM
Naw, they just trained at Monty Python's 'Ministry of Silly Walks'!:-j