PDA

View Full Version : How do I get credit for sinking ships???

melnibonian
07-12-06, 06:34 AM
Hello everyone. It’s the first time I’m writing to a forum so please be a bit forgiving with possible mistakes J

I have installed Grey Wolves 1.1a and it’s really great. I do have a problem though with the way ships sink. I was in the black sea in July 1941 and I’ve sneaked into a Soviet harbour to see what I can find there. So I got in alright and fired a couple of torpedoes to a soviet small and large tankers and a British Destroyer. The Destroyer went up in flames almost immediately and sunk. The small tanker took some time but eventually sunk as well. The Large Tanker on the other hand although it had turned significantly on one side and was covered with fires and smoke, did not sink. I had fired four torpedoes into different areas of the ship and almost one third of it was under water. Obviously I couldn’t wait and see as some Soviet Destroyers were looking for me (I really can’t understand why but anyhow!!) so I left the port. For some strange reason the large tanker was never awarded as a kill to me. I cannot understand this. Do I have to stay and observe the ship going down to be awarded the kill?? If so why there is not a system (script or something) saying that the target is going to sink so I can also save on the torpedoes as well???

Thanks a lot

P.S. All the other ships were awarded to me as kills in the same harbour.

Dowly
07-12-06, 06:52 AM
When you sink a ship (you get the message 'She´s going down' or 'Enemy unit destroyed'), the tonnage of the ship is recorded.

After the patrol, you get renown based on how much tonnage you have sunk.

Hope this answered your question. :up:

PS. Welcome to SubSim!

bigboywooly
07-12-06, 07:06 AM
Sometimes the bigger ships sit on the harbour floor and are not always classed as sunk
Had a Nelson Battleship in Loch Ewe I put 5 torps into but still didnt get the kill as it was still "alive" just sat on the floor:damn:

melnibonian
07-12-06, 08:11 AM
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I really appreciate it

gmuno
07-12-06, 08:19 AM
For those ships sitting in harbours, try to aim at critical zones, like below turrets (warships) or bellow stacks (mercs). Same goes for ships en route.
Enjoy

bigboywooly
07-12-06, 08:22 AM
For those ships sitting in harbours, try to aim at critical zones, like below turrets (warships) or bellow stacks (mercs). Same goes for ships en route.
Enjoy

Yes I hit the damn thing with a spread of 3 and it sat on the bottom
Gave it 2 more in different areas but nothing
Really needed to hit a magazine or fuel tank but in 18mtr of water and being divebombed and hunted for by about 4 destroyers it was a bit difficult:rotfl:

Henry Wood
07-12-06, 08:38 AM
Sometimes the bigger ships sit on the harbour floor and are not always classed as sunk
Had a Nelson Battleship in Loch Ewe I put 5 torps into but still didnt get the kill as it was still "alive" just sat on the floor:damn:

I've just finished reading 'Operation Drumbeat' about the second 'Happy Time' off the East Coast of the United States. U-123, KL Reinhard Hardegan, left two tankers torpedoed off Georgia in waters so shallow (12 metres) that their sterns rested on the bottom and their funnel, bridge and forecastle remained above the surface; Hardegan considered these to be legitimate sinkings and had the waters been deeper there seems little doubt they would have fully sunk. They were soon raised and towed for repair enabling them to sail again until finally sunk later in the war by other U-Boats. (Ships were SS Oklahoma - 9,264 GRT, and SS Esso Baton Rouge - 7,989 GRT.) It's a good job Hardegan was not forced to play to SH3 rules or his tonnage record would have suffered badly!:hmm:

bigboywooly
07-12-06, 09:17 AM

I've just finished reading 'Operation Drumbeat' about the second 'Happy Time' off the East Coast of the United States. U-123, KL Reinhard Hardegan, left two tankers torpedoed off Georgia in waters so shallow (12 metres) that their sterns rested on the bottom and their funnel, bridge and forecastle remained above the surface; Hardegan considered these to be legitimate sinkings and had the waters been deeper there seems little doubt they would have fully sunk. They were soon raised and towed for repair enabling them to sail again until finally sunk later in the war by other U-Boats. (Ships were SS Oklahoma - 9,264 GRT, and SS Esso Baton Rouge - 7,989 GRT.) It's a good job Hardegan was not forced to play to SH3 rules or his tonnage record would have suffered badly!:hmm:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: too true

AlphaInfinity
07-12-06, 12:58 PM
I have noticed with the GW mod that it takes A LOT more torps to sink ships. I have tried contact detonation, magnetic with a 2 M setting under the keel etc etc etc.

It gets a little frustrating because I have to put 4 torps into a light cruiser. I had to put 9 into a nelson battleship. I can usually only sink maybe one or two ships before heading back to port.

bigboywooly
07-12-06, 01:15 PM
Yes it is harder in GW to sink ships
The GW ships contain the NYGM 1 damage model which means the ship will sink by flooding instead of always exploding
The trick is to put your torps in different areas of the ship so more compartments flood leading to sinking
Ships will also take longer to sink so you will have to use judgement and wait before firing another fish

Same with the deckgun - aim for different compartments below the waterline

AlphaInfinity
07-12-06, 04:36 PM
I am assuming that I need to turn on manual targeting to target individual portions of a ship?

stabiz
07-12-06, 05:46 PM
Yes.

But I just came back from a patrol now, and sunk five ships with a Type VII, with two fish to spare. Sometimes you just have to wait a while - very important, as some take game-hours to flood - while others brake in half after one good hit.

If you need some renown, just swing by Scapa Flow. Several sitting ducks there. (Save first :D Lots of destroyers get pissed of if you start throwing torps around)