PDA

View Full Version : Having a frustrating time in Torpedo School..

CA406079
07-07-06, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

New to the game, having a hard time nailing the merchantmen with torpedo's in the naval academy. Once they're alerted to my presence, they always dodge my torpedos at around 900 yards. I find that when I get real close they dont go off at all...

Can someone advise me the optimal range to nailing an evading merchie without going into the torp's min range?

Also having a hard time sinking merchies in the deck gun tutorial. Tried to go for waterline shots, but always run out of ammo before I can sink more than 2.

Thanks for the help

John

Hawk_308
07-07-06, 02:54 PM
Yourfish need to TRAVEL at lest 300 meters to arm. If I have a DDs bearing down on me I open the doors then let it have it at 700 meters or so. Merchants should be a big problem , what type fish are you using ? If you are using steam in daylight ,turn the speed up on them that should help. Are you using deck gun HE on the merchants? If you are just keep practicing.

CA406079
07-07-06, 03:00 PM
one was at 500 meters, magnetic with 4 meter depth setting
that passed underneath

reset to contact, 2 meter depth, hit at 400 meters and nothing...

Using Gray Wolves , BTW

Sailor Steve
07-07-06, 04:15 PM
Could have been a dud. Sometimes the voices don't tell you. The only way to check is to be watching in external view to see if it bounces off and sinks.

andy_311
07-07-06, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

New to the game, having a hard time nailing the merchantmen with torpedo's in the naval academy. Once they're alerted to my presence, they always dodge my torpedos at around 900 yards. I find that when I get real close they dont go off at all...

Can someone advise me the optimal range to nailing an evading merchie without going into the torp's min range?

Also having a hard time sinking merchies in the deck gun tutorial. Tried to go for waterline shots, but always run out of ammo before I can sink more than 2.

Thanks for the help

John

You can't have both in training deck gun or torps which one are you useing?

NeonSamurai
07-08-06, 01:37 AM
Ok first off, if your running the training missions, do not use any of the mods. Many mods change the damage values of the game which can make it impossible to pass the tests.

Second with torpedoes. the head of the torpedo has to hit a nearly vertical flat surface if using the impact pistol. If they hit at too much of an angle and they will just bounce off (i suggest using the exterior view, and the action cam to see what's happening). Generaly you want to shoot when the angle on bow is close to 90 degrees (ie shooting at the side of the target ship).

With magnetics, the target needs to be a decent size, and you want to come with in 0.5-1m of the bottom (keel) of the ship to help insure detonation. Also the longer the torpedo is under the ship the better the chance it will detonate, so they are pretty much opposite to impact pistols as you will want to shoot when the aob is closer to 0 or 180 rather then 90 (though you dont have to).

Also if you want accurate shots, be sure you open your torp tubes first before firing or it can seriously throw off your shots.

Lastly set your steam torpedoes to maximum speed, that will give the target ships less time to escape.

As for guns, well main trick is to shoot just below the waterline (you know your doing it right if you see a shell splash in the water and then it detonating against the ship) best targets to shoot for is the engine room (right below the main funnel) or fuel bunker (typicaly in front of the engine room)

In general in the training missions you can be very agressive, stay on the surface chase down your targets at max speed. They dont exactly reflect real situations, and i never found it very usefull for practice. only to get the bonus renoun and learning the very basics.

As for optimum range, well its pretty much as close as you can get ;). 250m is the actual arming distance, but it can fluctuate in game, which is why most captains shoot at 300m

CA406079
07-09-06, 09:17 PM
just started a campaign, I keep getting a message that tells me I have received a radio message, but it I cant seems to access this message.... its not in the radioman options, nor anywhere else....

thanks again

Darksun
07-09-06, 10:06 PM
just started a campaign, I keep getting a message that tells me I have received a radio message, but it I cant seems to access this message.... its not in the radioman options, nor anywhere else....

thanks again

You have to hit the "m" key on the keyboard. It's :damn:, Ill give you that.