PDA

View Full Version : Radar & Flak Gunner

robj250
06-27-06, 04:47 PM
Situation: May 27 1943. Clear clouds, no rain, no fog, wind 8 m/s I was told it was too rough to put a man in the flak gun. I have a fully upgraded VIIB. Radar is FUMO-29. It did not pick up a V&W Destroyed coming at me. I had it on continuious sweep. What is the distance that the radar works. Same weather conditions. Oh, it was midnight.

VoodooPriest
06-27-06, 05:21 PM
In the stock game 7 m/s is the max windspeed at which you can man your guns.
But you can change this by doing a simple edit to a file. Just go to:
(Your Silent Hunter directory)\data\submarine\NSS_Uboat7b\
and open the file named "NSS_Uboat7b.cfg". In there you should find a line that reads
"StormConditions=7,0.7;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]"
Simply change the 7 to whatever number you think you can send your men out at (15 is max but experience shows that 10 is a quite good value, because the gun is submerged most of the time in heavier winds). Save and exit and voila, you can man the guns in heavier weather.
Btw, this has to be changed seperately for every single uboat-type.

To answer your question about the radar, the FUMO-29 is not a very good device, more of a makeshift solution than a real sophisticated piece of equipment. It is attached to the front side of the conning tower and doesn't rotate, so it only covers an arc of about 20° directly ahead of your boat. If an enemy comes from any other direction, you won't pick him up with this radar, even on continuous mode, as it only sweeps through this limited area. I don't even know what range it has, as I don't equip it and save my renown for better devices, but I would guess that it's not much more than your visual range anyway.

robj250
06-27-06, 05:35 PM
Btw, this has to be changed seperately for every single uboat-type.

Even though I'm just using the type VIIB sub?

VoodooPriest
06-27-06, 05:38 PM
Even though I'm just using the type VIIB sub?

No. But if you change to another type, be sure to edit the new one as well, or you will be stuck at 7 m/s again :).

robj250
06-27-06, 05:43 PM
Okay, thanks very much for your help. Greatly appreciated.:up:

VoodooPriest
06-27-06, 06:07 PM
No problem, you're welcome.
This is what a forum is there for.

Good night.