PDA

View Full Version : Reliably killing DDs/other fast ships with RUB and 100%?

Macel
06-24-06, 08:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone regularly sinks fast moving ships such as destroyers in full realism/RUB... And if so, how you go about doing that. The manual methods of targetting I find take too long... Usually by the time you get the third reading, he's already passing me and I don't have time to line up with his course and set the TDC...

Only time I ever hit a destroyer was when he was heading straight towards me... For the hell of it I set my aft torp's gyro manual 0, magnetic trigger and shallow depth and it actually hit him. Didnt cripple him, but he did stop chasing me :)

Safe-Keeper
06-24-06, 09:38 PM
Only time I ever hit a destroyer was when he was heading straight towards me... For the hell of it I set my aft torp's gyro manual 0, magnetic trigger and shallow depth and it actually hit him. Didnt cripple him, but he did stop chasing me :)I love doing that.

Heck, before this certain patch all you had to do was just let the destroyer come after you and then fire your aft torpedo, either an electric one or a gas/steam set to Fast. They never zig-zagged. Now at least the ones that are not "Poor" attack you in an evasive pattern.

Keelbuster
06-25-06, 01:22 PM
I usually wouldn't fire on a destroyer unless i had good data (surprise) or if it was a zero-gyro shot (down-the-throat). But for taskforces, and fast moving BBs, CLs, CVs, I take a guess. I get as close as possible, assume they travel at about 20kts, and fire a spread. Especially with fast T1s, when you are at short range,the error in your speed estimate is not that big a problem. Also, I try to remember the first contact report because it declares the TF's speed.