PDA

View Full Version : You're Favorite Subs and Why

HunterICX
06-24-06, 04:53 AM
I have 2 favorites:

Type VII : A really nice Sub for its size. It really is great to avoid DC's and its a strong ship
Career with the VII: U-505
Reason: I was on a patrol in '43 and I picked up an Sound of an ship...Well I thought I heard an Small merchant maybe? medium speed(Not confirmed)...Mmmm great! lets use my Deck gun. It was night and it was my first ship spotted. I was an greedy bastard so I surfaced and directly shot an shell at the point where I saw water moving by its bow...HIT!!! Yihaaa....but I was suprised by the following picture....I got an answer of a 4 big battleship!!! they shot everything they got at me resulting in an instant death of my crew and my ship! It happend to be I shot at an Fiji cruiser:damn: so next time I confirm where I,m planning to shoot at before I get the same answer again.
New career with the VII: U-506 will take place for the sunken 505

Type IX: I just Love these boat, good size and I love the 2 After tubes.
Career with the IX : U-507
Ships sunk on the way : 2 T2 tankers, 1 T3 tanker and 1 liberty cargo.

so what are you favorite U-Boats?

Mooncatt
06-24-06, 06:57 AM
any as long as they fire torps other than that dont care, i think that the v11c is pretty cool though like you say good sturdy boat

BettingUrlife
06-24-06, 07:22 AM
I am on a new campaign at the moment and decided to go to far away places with a Type XI. I'm enjoying it (with what I have done so far). Some of these places further afield seem to be less well protected and just the simple fact of going somewhere new is great, very refreshing. Going over the same old places in a shorter-range Type VII gets a little boring after a while.

Safe-Keeper
06-24-06, 07:27 AM
VII-B all the way! Probably simply because I've spent 80% of my Silent Hunter III time in it;). It's a good boat.

II-A follows second, for the same reason I love the old outmoded Z-95 Headhunter in the X-Wing series: it just has a certain charm. I like the special atmosphere of driving/flying it and of being in it. Not to mention that it feels extra good to be in a VII-B after two to four patrols in a II-A.

I got an answer of a 4 big battleship!!! they shot everything they got at me resulting in an instant death of my crew and my ship!Been there, done that, though that was in a custom single-player mission. I got a little too close to a British battleship. It missed once, three huge fountains materializing just port of the boat, and a salvo hit me dead on and I was dead. Those things are evil, you pretty much need a battleship yourself if you want to stop them (or a submerged u-boat, 'course, dumb me:rolleyes:).

Grey Legion
06-24-06, 08:59 AM
II-A

I am a sucker for it, with it's lack luster speed low fuel, crap batteries, pitiful dive range...I just love it !!!

I always go for the under dog, as a matter of fact I have never sailed anything else in SH3 !?!

andy_311
06-24-06, 09:16 AM
IXD2
Big ,loads of torpedos, a big range the only downside is the slow diveing I think it's something like 42 seconds

Highbury
06-24-06, 02:13 PM
Easily my favorite is the Type IIs. Small, maneouverable and pretty easy to sneak past the DDs early in the war. Cons would be limited torps, speed and range but they also add to the 'fun' challenge of a II. You have to not waste fuel going to unproductive places. Also you have to pick your shots well. If you use NYGM or GW (with its earlier NGYM Damage Mod) then it is very possible to go home empty handed although you scored a couple solid hits.

Second would be the XXI (I know, massive change from the IIs!) The reason for this is that it is quite simply everything the IIs are not. Most importantly it is fast, a ton of eels and long range.

If you look closely you will see the one common link in my preferences though... all forward firing only, also only AA.. no deck guns. Why do I not like aft torps? because I always end up empty in the bow with a few left in the stern and backing up at my targets... just bugs me.

Threadfin
06-24-06, 02:37 PM
Balao class. Exceptional range and combat power. 10 torpedo tubes. Highly liveable. Good surface search and air radar. Reliable and versatile engine arrangement. Good surfaced and submerged speed. Excellent TDC. Well built, tough.

If this is only for German uboats, please disregard :)

U-Bones
06-24-06, 03:22 PM
In this game, anything but a IX. The switched stern compartments in the F7 screen is a dead giveaway the boat is an afterthought...

Der Eisen-Wal
06-24-06, 08:33 PM
VII-B all the way! Probably simply because I've spent 80% of my Silent Hunter III time in it;). It's a good boat.

II-A follows second, for the same reason I love the old outmoded Z-95 Headhunter in the X-Wing series: it just has a certain charm. I like the special atmosphere of driving/flying it and of being in it. Not to mention that it feels extra good to be in a VII-B after two to four patrols in a II-A.

I got an answer of a 4 big battleship!!! they shot everything they got at me resulting in an instant death of my crew and my ship!Been there, done that, though that was in a custom single-player mission. I got a little too close to a British battleship. It missed once, three huge fountains materializing just port of the boat, and a salvo hit me dead on and I was dead. Those things are evil, you pretty much need a battleship yourself if you want to stop them (or a submerged u-boat, 'course, dumb me:rolleyes:).

Right on!! The Z95 was pretty damn cool but then again the chance to fly any Rebel starfighter is chance enough! I personally prefered the Xwing but Awing and Ywings were plenty cool as well.

VIIB - I spent most of my career in one, its sturdy and don't let me down much, not many torps or tubes but handfuls of good memories.

IXC - I got a new one and it's pretty damn cool. I wish the uboats went faster but this one has monster range and huge torpedo loads. Plus it holds a lot of people, has a deck gun and 3 flak guns. naaacee...

spork542
06-25-06, 02:08 PM
I like the IXC/40. In my case, U-193. Enough fuel to make it to the caribbean and destroy a few tankers, but while the boat is big, it's not as much of a cow as a IXD2. On second thought, I like the IXB a lot because of how early on in the war it appears. Makes it so I can rip apart a couple of unsuspecting merchants in '39 and '40. Meh, I like all of the IXs, I can't decide. Actually, I like the VIIC/42 a bit too. Such excellent boats I can't decide.:hmm:

Sir Big Jugs
06-25-06, 02:13 PM
IXD2 without doubt.:p

harzfeld
06-26-06, 05:46 AM
VIIC/42 for me in SH3 due to less buggy, better depth, can take the beating of DCs, faster than all other VIIs surface and submerge, smaller than IX which good for less chance being detected, 2 extra torpedos, more fuel. I considered Das Boot used VIIC/42 not VIIC since it went pass whole crush depth, took alot beating from DCs, and captain was chasing convey across Altantic ocean in high waves at flank like fuel wasnt a problem. I still love that movie anyway. I would go for XXI next if they fixed all bugs they laid on her. I do like the IXB and C, but for D, I wasnt happy about torpedo and dock bug, so I didnt get experience much in it. I play IXB or C when I am in mood for long patrols, wish they can go deeper tho. Early years, I like play in either IXB or others, doesnt matter to me but later war years like 1943 and after, VIIC series are nesscarry to me.

stabiz
06-26-06, 07:18 AM
V11-B, and I cant tell you why. I just love it.

Pants
06-26-06, 08:31 AM
VIIC The Work Horse of the U-Boat Arm, For me i just love it...Good all round boat.

JSalinger
06-27-06, 02:11 AM
So far, I like my IXB, primarily because it's available in 1940, so all the far off places I get sent to for my patrols have lots of shipping with virtually no protection at all. Additionally, it was a welcome change from my VIIB, which bless her heart, served me well, but I just about got pulverized trying to get out of Scapa Flow, so the IXB is definitely good...in fact, I just got done with a patrol last night, sunk almost 65,000 tons of tankers in the Carribean, knocked off a British passenger liner up near Halifax on my way back. :D So yeah, I love my IXB. ::hugs his IXB: