PDA

View Full Version : Remember Silent Hunter Commander's Edition

robj250
06-16-06, 10:45 AM
Silent Hunter Commander's Edition had a lot to do. Regular war patrols, being spotted by Japanese Fishing boats who would radio your position (I remember having to sink them) Rescue downed pilots, excellent mission editor, It had a gauge which would show thermal layers. Photo missions where you had to sneak into a harbour and take pictures. Being able to enter Japanese harbours and sink ships and a lot more which I can't remember. What I do remember is being under attack (depth charges from Japanese Destroyers) what seemed like hours. Areas where you could actually sit your sub on the bottom.
I have read a lot of your suggestions for SHIV and if they try to put in everything you suggest, it will NEVER get realised. So let's be realistic. I was talking to Ubisoft about it and they hope to have it out by December of this year. But as I said, if they put in everything you guys want, I'll never live to see it.
As for adding Destroyer Command to it, I don't think so!!!
Someone mention Xbox. Well if you want to play with Xbox, then go get one and play the silly games that come with it. Don't have it with SHIV. I agree with using the Nivida graphic drivers (spelling).
I used to have a web site called Silent Hunter which described the game of Silent Hunter Commander's Edition. It was a good game and if they plan to impliment SHIV following the general ideas that were in the Original, plus incorporating things they have in SH3, it should be a good game. Have mods that can be added, like in SH3.
I agree with some of your suggestions (wish-list). But you have to remember, being able to move about your sub and sliding down ladders, requires a lot of 3D graphics.
Yes, there was various subs that you graduated to in the Original SH. I actually liked the Gato.
I agree on having a better, more detailed manual for SHIV as the one for SH3 really "sucks" and the editor for SH3 really stinks as well. I remember being able to use the original SH editor to design whatever I wanted, even if you wanted to design a "test" mission.
I agree with more radio communications, but adding morse code reguires that everyone learns morse code, not really a requirement for the game and flags, NO.
Having a captain's quarters which has a calender showing the date, sunrise and sunset and weather conditions.
See your sub leave port and return to port is a must. Plus a review of your crew at the end of each patrol. Medals and promotions are a must.
Wolf-packs are German. But in actual history, yes there were more than one sub on a mission and could be used in multiplayer.
Yes, we did have fires on board the sub in the original, and flooding where you could actually see the water levels rising in the sub.
I can remember having to leave Malta and go through the narrow channels to get to my patrol zone, and sometimes when going through those narrow channels, a few Japanese ships where on the other side waiting for you.
Yes, they did have Japanese subs in the original and hope they have them in SHIV.
I really didn't care for SH2 and Destroyer Command. The nav map was unreal.
Let's hope that SHIV contains all that I have mentioned and that it is ready this year before I find myself being dropped over the side, buried at sea. Some of us are old and can't wait forever for SHIV to be released.
Having Toyo Rose talking on the radio would be nice. Intercepting commications. Receiving additional orders while at sea. I also agree on the receiving of messages after you send out a patrol message to SOSIS or whatevery headquarters. I also agree with having a sub base in Pearl Harbour where you can start from and the opportunity to transfer. But let's not have an additional mod that rolls back.
Having proper news prior to missions (briefing session perhaps) and receiving reports of enemy positions which you would have to go to, but let's forget the required renown loss for not making it to your patrol zone because you are out of torpedoes.
I think that is enough said. I could go on and on, but most of you guys have made some good suggestions.
Oh, one thing I forgot. I hopt they permit one backup so if your original DVD for the game gets damaged, you would have a backup to use. Or perhaps use the backup to play the game, just like in Starcraft and BroodWars.

Threadfin
06-16-06, 11:44 AM
Does anyone play Pacific Aces? Judging by the amount of traffic in that forum I'd say no :) Alot of what you mention is in PA.

Wolfpacks were not only a German thing, Americans made extensive use of 3-boat packs in the second half of the war. I might even argue they did it better, with boat to boat communication and coordination.

What do mean "using nvidia graphic drivers"?

About transferring, I hope there's an option where this stuff is out of the player's control. A US boat commander rarely got a chance to name his squadron. Although I think O'Kane mentioned he was given the option of basing out of Pearl or Brisbane.

Are you saying you commanded a US submarine based at Malta? What were they doing there :)

robj250
06-16-06, 12:30 PM
Wolfpacks were not only a German thing, Americans made extensive use of 3-boat packs in the second half of the war. I might even argue they did it better, with boat to boat communication and coordination. I said they did!

What do mean "using nvidia graphic drivers"? That's the graphics driver I have.

Are you saying you commanded a US submarine based at Malta? What were they doing there :)

Sorry, can't remember for sure what the base was I had to sail out of in the later parts of the Pacific War using SH Commander.

I am editing my old Silent Hunter website to try and get it ready for re-posting through Yahoo with the domain name of EnemyBeneath. Working on it now.
It will take Yahoo around 72 hours for my domain name to be approved before I can start uploading my files.

Threadfin
06-16-06, 12:46 PM
Manilla maybe? Malta is in the Mediteranean :)

It seemed you were saying wolfpacks are a German thing, but would be OK in MP. I interpreted that as you were saying wolfpacks are not needed in SP because they weren't used extensively enough in the war.

The drivers you use are specific to the video card type. The sim uses an API (application programming interface). For example D3D and OpenGL are APIs. API's can be optimized for certain cards, but the sim will not "use nvidia drivers".

robj250
06-16-06, 01:32 PM
Manilla maybe? Malta is in the Mediteranean :)

It seemed you were saying wolfpacks are a German thing, but would be OK in MP. I interpreted that as you were saying wolfpacks are not needed in SP because they weren't used extensively enough in the war.

The drivers you use are specific to the video card type. The sim uses an API (application programming interface). For example D3D and OpenGL are APIs. API's can be optimized for certain cards, but the sim will not "use nvidia drivers".

Manilla, yea, that's right. Understand on the driver part.

Sailor Steve
06-17-06, 12:16 PM
Yes, I remember SHCE very well. As well as all the good things pointed out, I also remember destroyer AI that was practically invincible, including the fact that after you had escaped you dare not use and Time Compression until they were completely out of sight, or else they would rediscover you instantly and come get you again.

I also remember the patrol zones that you couldn't leave: on more than one occassion I was chasing a maru with my deck gun and suddenly my boat turned back-I was at the edge of the zone.

Then there was the unbelievable intelligence: in bad weather I would recieve five or six contact reports a day...5000 miles from the nearest friendly. Also there were ten times as many contacts as in real life.

I could go on, but I actually liked SHI too much to really complain. I just disagree that it's something to strive for as a whole-parts of it were good, but not all.

robj250
06-17-06, 03:23 PM
Very true. I believe it was SSI's firsty attempt at making a sub sim. Not too bad for a first attempt. I really enjoyed AoD Command as well. Being able to fire a torpedo from 100 metres submerged was great. Anyway, looking forward to SHIV. :D

Egan
06-20-06, 01:23 PM
I always hated simply starting in the patrol area. I wanted to sail out from Pearl, top up the tanks at midway and roll on in towards Japan. One of the things I enjoyed the most about Jim Calvert's book 'Silent Running' were the stories of simply getting to the patrol areas - especially when they were operating out of Australia and had to get through some very narrow, shallow and well protected channels to get on station.

I also liked the special missions, mainly because they felt in keeping with the campaign rather than some arcadey 'bonus points' thing. I liked the way nights with a full moon were very bright. I liked having sun and moonrise times being there in my cabin.

It was a great game in its day but I think we can and should expect more these days. I was very unsure about Sh3 at first but elements of it really did raise the bar. Hopefully Sh4 will do the same.

mrbrewski
09-30-06, 06:44 AM
I still have my silent hunter commanders edition, but I'm having a problem. I recently purchased a new computer and it won't let me install the game, say's it's and invalid win32 application. what can I do. I have sh2 and sh3, but I still enjoy playing the old game.

Sailor Steve
09-30-06, 10:07 AM
http://www.subsim.com/tips/tip_sh1.php
That should help with everything you need.

Safe-Keeper
09-30-06, 03:36 PM
Someone mention Xbox. Well if you want to play with Xbox, then go get one and play the silly games that come with it. Don't have it with SHIV. I agree with using the Nivida graphic drivers (spelling).I think I can picture this game on X-Box. Realism levels of 0% to -500%.

No thanks.

As for morse code, signal flags, and so on, sure, bring it on. As long as you don't actually have to learn morse code or the meaning of all those flags.

Hylander_1314
09-30-06, 09:38 PM
It would be great fun to brush up on the old morse code, and signal flags.

Safe-Keeper
10-01-06, 07:17 AM
-- --- ... - --- ..-. ..- ... .... .- ...- . -.-- . - - --- .-.. . .- .-. -. .. - .. .-.. .-.. .... .- ...- . - --- --. . - .- .-. --- ..- -. -.. -

--- .. - ... --- -- . -.. .- -.-- .. -. ... - . .- -.. --- ..-. ..- ... .. -. --. - .... .. ... ... - ..- .--. .. -.. -.-. --- -. ...- . .-. - --- .-. - --- --- .-..
:p

cmdrk
10-02-06, 09:46 AM
-- --- ... - --- ..-. ..- ... .... .- ...- . -.-- . - - --- .-.. . .- .-. -. .. - .. .-.. .-.. .... .- ...- . - --- --. . - .- .-. --- ..- -. -.. -

--- .. - ... --- -- . -.. .- -.-- .. -. ... - . .- -.. --- ..-. ..- ... .. -. --. - .... .. ... ... - ..- .--. .. -.. -.-. --- -. ...- . .-. - --- .-. - --- --- .-..
:p

Yeah... What he said.;)

Honestly - such language.