PDA

View Full Version : Distant Guns... Docking soon

Sonarman
06-16-06, 08:02 AM
Looks like the ship is about to dock at Storm Eagle Studios.

Here's a post from Norm Koger lead developer on Distant Guns at the strategy zone online forums:

"Soon? I think so.
Well, I can tell you what I've been doing...

In the last two weeks or so, I have only spent about 5 hours on the game itself. Little things, mostly. I fixed a bug in the logic that returns from battles to the campaign game, rewrote the shadow code when it became apparent that breaking up the ship models into smaller sub assemblies to support damage geometry also broke up the original shadow logic, did a minor speed optimization today...

Most of my time recently has been spent in helping set up the merchant side of the business and making sure that copy protection is as friendly as possible. I spent about a day's worth of effort troubleshooting a bug on one tester's machine that actually doesn't affect the release version of the game (long story, having to do a side effect of changes to the game that only affect folks with installations older than December of last year - I wanted to be sure I understood the issue to make sure it couldn't pop up again in the future)

The game itself is basically finished. The holdup right now is actually on the credit card processing / sales server end, and those issues are being cleared as quickly as possible.
which call and call to me...

Imtarfa, 1917 "

Hellcat
06-17-06, 07:59 PM
Still very interested in how this one turns out, all the fuss over the copy protection has overshawdowed what the game can do/will do. I for one can live with the online activation scheme, it's just the hassle of re-verification that I'm concerned over if say I format my hard drive. :hmm:

Sonarman
06-18-06, 03:45 AM
Yes, that's becoming a fact of life these days unfortunately. I have Windows of course and Macromedia Studio on my PC. which both feature activation technology.

bill clarke
06-24-06, 08:12 PM
what is "online activation" ?, and how do you purchase this produuct ? do you pay for it with a credit card then download the game direct to your'e computor ?
I really want to get this game, but want it to be hassle free.

Sonarman
06-25-06, 11:56 AM
Hi Bill
Yes, usually you purchase the game by credit card and download it to your computer enter the supplied serial number. The program then "phones home" to the server which in turn activates your copy of the game. It's an anti-piracy technique to stop multiple installs of the game.

I've got a feeling we will see a lot more of this method of purchase now. It is slightly disadvantageous to the customer, but it will mean we see a lot more niche titles like "Distant Guns" which traditional software publishers would probably see as "too niche" and uncommercial.

Small developers will now get all of the profit making it worth their while. In the traditional publishing model they would probably only get about 5% of the retail price by the time the publisher, distributor and retailer had had their cut.

Sonarman
07-07-06, 07:24 AM
The latest posts over at the Distant Guns forum at SZO indicate that the game is now in final testing and should be only days away!!

em2nought
07-08-06, 10:47 PM
It is slightly disadvantageous to the customer The disadvantage is that if said online activation server doesn't exist five years down the road you are now stuck with a coaster, and can't play what might have become your favorite game of all time.

Sonarman
07-10-06, 01:58 AM
To quote Jim Rose:

"If we go out of business, we release the code to remove the copy protection, as stated eailer by Norm...

em2nought
07-10-06, 11:45 AM
To quote Jim Rose:

"If we go out of business, we release the code to remove the copy protection, as stated eailer by Norm...