PDA

View Full Version : Accurate cities and landmarks -how important are they?

Safe-Keeper
06-09-06, 07:41 AM
This is something that's bothered me a lot with Silent Hunter III: As far as I can tell, just about only NYC is accurately depicted, with landmarks, accurate harbours, etc. in the game.

I went to my hometown of Bergen, Norway, and was sorely disappointed. The harbour was foreign and in the wrong place (due to re-scaling of the map), there were no landmarks (Bryggen was missing), and the topography was wrong (a sea leading to a lake had been cut off, making the lake inaccessible). There was even a row of sub pens that never existed in reality!

So my question is: How important is it for you to have accurate cities in Silent Hunter IV?

I'm of course not asking for 100% realistic street-by-street depictions. But I am asking for accurately modelled harbour shapes for all cities, and landmarks for major cities. And please go over topography at least near cities, making sure to make every waterway that's open in reality open in-game.

Sailor Steve
06-09-06, 12:15 PM
I voted for 'All Harbors', though that's asking a bit much. Given the option I would have voted for 'Major Harbors' and 'Spawn Harbors', as those two categories are the ones we spend the most time at.

SHI was forced to use 2D 'city patches', which filled out the background but looked nothing like any real harbor.

I agree: it would be nice to know that Kiel looks like Kiel, even if most of us have never been there. Maybe an addition to the Editor that makes it easier for people who do live there or have good photographs to mod the harbors properly?

DeepSix
06-09-06, 12:22 PM
I agree. For some reason, the stock harbors really bug me. I know it's one of those things some would consider unnecessary, but I'd really like to see accurate cities, harbors, and waterways as well.

Donner
06-09-06, 12:41 PM
I'm all for accuracy in landmarks, harbors, etc.

Imagine the feeling you would experience as you slip toward the Sub base in Pearl Harbor and see the superstructure of the Arizona rising up out of the water. It would be fantastic if they could model the dismantling of the Arizona over time. Difficult to do I would think, but that would be something if they could.

I previously posted in the Wish/Suggestions thread that I would like to see Sofu Gan modelled in the game as well. Sofu Gan is a large pillar of rock sticking up out of the Pacific about 100 miles from Japan...not sure of the exact location. This formation would show up on radar as a single pip and quite a few subs thought they had located a single ship!

STEED
06-09-06, 01:22 PM
All harbours in the game should be rather accurately portrayed.

Got my vote. :up:

Egan
06-09-06, 01:30 PM
Relevant and major harbours will do me fine. I would like to see more unmarked villages/towns/cities along coastlines though.

Rosencrantz
06-09-06, 01:37 PM
Well, at least the harbour area you'll see fm the boat and the biggest landmarks would be great to have with more or less accurate details.

-RC-

FAdmiral
06-09-06, 03:41 PM
I voted for them all....#1

JIM