PDA

View Full Version : Can the sounds be louder?

Fab
06-09-06, 05:21 AM
My apologies if this has come up recently, but the search function doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is there any way to boost the sound in the game? I have all my in game settings cranked to maximum (which means it does not dampen any of the sounds) but it's all still way too quiet. I have to crank my headset up to maximum if I want to hear anything. But I also run a Teamspeak servers (for if my buddies come online and feel like playing some Battlefield 2). When they announce themselves, they nearly cave my head in from how loud they are!

So I could be in the middle of a patrol, then all of a sudden one of my friends comes on and say, "Hey there!" and blows my ear drums into my brain.

I could turn down my Teamspeak volume, but then everything would be soft. What I want is a way to turn the SH3 sounds up. I can't believe they left no option to make the sounds loud enough to be heard.

Has anyone modded the sounds to do so? Or is there a way to boost them via a tweak to a file here or there?

Firebird
06-09-06, 08:02 AM
Just to be sure - by maximum you mean 0 db, right?

Vikinger
06-09-06, 09:31 AM
The only thing i can think of right now to boost the volume is to alter each file seperatly. Its a time consuming thing but can help you. And it works whit all wave files that can be found in SH3/Data/Sound folder.

Open the sound recorder in windows Start/program/acessoare/entertainment/soundrecorder.

(I hope that is the correct path coz iam not sure if i spelled it right in English coz i have a swedish keyboard and windows :) )

Anyway when u open the sound recorder, from the dropdown meny, choose open, and then locate the wave file u want to change from the Sound folder.

Then choose from the Effects dropdown meny , Increase volume by 25%. (there is some other effects u can try also) Play the sound after each change u do and when u are satisfied whit the result just save the file from the dropdown meny.

There is some limitation how much u can increase coz to much can make the sound distorted.

Ive changed some explosions and weather effects my self so they are lauder.

Some thunder waves ive added eco too so they really sound like they are "rolling" away like in RL.

When it comes to the gramophone ive been looking my self how to increase the volume but havent found it so far.

Good luck
Vikinger.

irish1958
06-09-06, 10:04 AM
The dbPowerAmp Music Converter can batch convert the sounds and increase the volume. You might have to convert them into MP3 and then back to Orgg. MP3 might work in the game, but I haven't tried it. I converted all my MP3 sound files into Orgg for my gramaphone.
One of the options listed in the program will increase the volume.
get it here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-support.htm

irish1958

Threadfin
06-09-06, 01:48 PM
I could turn down my Teamspeak volume, but then everything would be soft. What I want is a way to turn the SH3 sounds up. I can't believe they left no option to make the sounds loud enough to be heard.

I think adjusting the TS volume is the way to go. You can set the overall/headset volume to where you want SH3 to be, then adjust TS to a comfortable level. problem solved. Not sure what you mean about TS being too soft. Turn it to where you want it.

Myxale
06-09-06, 03:44 PM
You also can look out for the Earshot mod. Which is a file for the sound folder. This one was made for people who want to make the room quake when a DC goes off!:hmm:

Fab
06-09-06, 06:35 PM
What I meant about TS being too soft then is when I save the SH3 game and go to play BF2 I won't hear my friends, unless I turn BF2 down too. So the only problem is that going that route more or less means turning down all my sounds everywhere so that max on my headset is "normal" for day to day use. I don't like doing that.

I think I may try to batch convert all my files. I'm sorry but when maximum is 0 db (yes, I am at a maximum of . . . nothing) that seems odd. Those dials should default to 0 db, but they should spin down to -25 db or whatever, but they should also spin UP to +25 db as well. Seems like a major deficiency in the programming.

But I guess it wouldn't be the first thing about SH3 that needed to be fixed, would it?

All in all a great game, but only after it's patched and modded like crazy.

P.S. I just downloaded that program. While it lets you batch convert from one file type to another, it doesn't seem to let you change the volume while you're doing it.

P.P.S. I found out my old trusty program Gold Wave (which is also available for free, do a Google search for Gold Wave) will do almost anything in batch form. At this moment I am batch changing all files in the Sound folder to add 50% volume to them. I ran a short test on a couple files and it worked brilliantly! A few more minutes and I'll have my sounds in SH3 like they were meant to be . . .

LOUDER!

Vikinger
06-09-06, 08:22 PM
It wont go more than 0 DB ingame. That is full sound u can get.

U have to do the trix what we have suggested in above post.

JScones
06-11-06, 10:54 PM
Have you tried changing the following lines in Main.cfg (the one in your save game Cfg folder, not the SH3 Cfg folder):

[SOUND]
Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=100 <- change to any value greater than 100
VolumeMusic=100 <- change to any value greater than 100
VolumeFx=100 <- change to any value greater than 100
VolumeSpeech=100 <- change to any value greater than 100

Reece
06-11-06, 11:46 PM
Hi I have put this up many times, Go to:
Documents and Settings\Your User Name\My Documents\Sh3\data\cfg\main.cfg, look under the [SOUND] group an edit to the following:

Music=Yes
VolumeGeneral=150
VolumeMusic=98
VolumeFx=98
VolumeSpeech=100

After many hours of testing values this is the best overall values for the right combination of music, speech, & sound fx.

Cheers.

Fab
06-12-06, 06:13 AM
Well, that certainly would have been easier that mucking about with all the sound files. Thanks.

For some reason when I click Search nothing happens. It's like the link's missing or something. Else I would have done a search for it before posting.

irish1958
06-12-06, 07:51 AM
I did Reece's correction, and it greatly improved the FX sounds. However I still had trouble with the gramaphone music. On my post above i neglected to mention that after I converted the sounds to ogg, I used Audacity to increase the volume.
irish1958