PDA

View Full Version : Penetrating NY Harbor

shegeek72
06-06-06, 02:23 AM
Taking a cue from the others here, I decided to try getting into NY. Using an IXC, I avoided the patrolling warships, helped by stormy seas, by taking frequent sonar readings. Once inside the harbor during early AM the sea was calm and there were five parked ships and no warships! I took out a C2 (one torpedo), a small merchant and coastal merchant. The other ships were in positions that didn't allow setting up a torpedo attack.

The photos were lightened -- it was almost pitch black. In the photo below I surfaced, but my stealth meter went red almost immediately and I quickly submerged. It was worth the long trans atlantic voyage! :rock:

http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/sh3NY01.jpg
http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/sh3NY02.jpg

SG

http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/moon_sub3.jpg

Floater
06-06-06, 03:15 AM
One of the first things I did when I got SH3, shortly after it came out, was to load a single mission ("Happy Times"?) from before the US entry into the war, switch to XXI and sail across the Atlantic for a safe and secure peek around NYC harbour.

Spent ages flying the F12 camera around the streets, saying "wow" a lot. ;)

Khayman
06-06-06, 03:18 AM
I had an armed trawler patrolling back and forth, which was a bit of a pain. There were also aircraft patrols so I had to be careful with my periscope. Serves me right for going there doing the day!

Your pics make me want to go back, and this time at night:D

andy_311
06-06-06, 05:15 AM
Am sure that's wrong, but every time I went to NY there's more than 5 parked ships last time I went there there was 14 parked ships, and a Clemson parked in the centre.(41,42,43,44)but it depends what mod your useing.As for your metre going red it's proberbly that darn tug boat that sails up and down the harbour.
It's nice to go there before the US enters the war to take some photo's.

JSalinger
06-06-06, 05:58 PM
I just got a IXB one patrol ago (I love it! Went to Freetown, sank 40,000 tons just in the harbor), and now I want to go to NY. If I go now (June of 40), will I encounter any British/French/any other Allied ships there that I can sink?

andy_311
06-06-06, 06:22 PM
I just got a IXB one patrol ago (I love it! Went to Freetown, sank 40,000 tons just in the harbor), and now I want to go to NY. If I go now (June of 40), will I encounter any British/French/any other Allied ships there that I can sink?

Every time I try to enter Freetown it pours down with rain.:damn:

Enigma
06-06-06, 06:33 PM
When I was there, there were no ships to sink of any real value, and defenses were a peice of cake to get by....

but the wow factor was intact! :up:

Berky
06-06-06, 08:04 PM
Am sure that's wrong, but every time I went to NY there's more than 5 parked ships last time I went there there was 14 parked ships, and a Clemson parked in the centre.(41,42,43,44)but it depends what mod your useing.As for your metre going red it's proberbly that darn tug boat that sails up and down the harbour.
It's nice to go there before the US enters the war to take some photo's.

Hello, what mod do you have? And how do you install it? I have been playing SH3 for over a year, but I just came upon these mods that people make and post them on the internet. I am trying to make the game better, and 14 ships in a harbor sounds really good!

Thanks in advance.

Rose
06-06-06, 08:58 PM
This isn't "Berky" Berkowitz from Lancaster, Pensylvania. Is it?

Anyway, if you JUST want traffic added to harbors, get Harbor Traffic mod. Even enemy bomber squadrons will attack your base like in Das Boot :D. If you want an all-encompassing "super-mod," well, look at the topics in the SH3 Mods thread.

andy_311
06-07-06, 06:34 AM
Hello, what mod do you have? And how do you install it? I have been playing SH3 for over a year, but I just came upon these mods that people make and post them on the internet. I am trying to make the game better, and 14 ships in a harbor sounds really good!

Thanks in advance.

Grey Wolfs you can get it from
http://server3.realsimulation.com
The Installation Instructions come with the d/load.

JSalinger
06-07-06, 04:29 PM
It was raining when I went into Freetown, Enigma. :D That was the funniest part of it all, actually, that I could even see the accidental mark I made on my hand with the grease pencil. lol Came in past a pair of Tribal destroyers and started looking at what was there...mostly small merchants, coastal merchants, tugs, etc., but then when I was starting to turn to set up tubes 5 & 6 on the Tribal DDs, I noticed something massive about 400 meters in front of me, AOB 88 degrees starboard. Went to the periscope, zoomed in and lo! and behold...

...a liner!!!

Checked his flag really quickly (he was British), and setup a targetting solution on him with tubes 1,2, & 3 loaded with G7a torpedoes (tube 4 I sent after a small tanker on the port side of him, and tubes 5 & 6 on the Tribal DDs at the mouth of the harbor). The tension, the excitement, looked at my IWO and he looks like he's about ready to piss his pants out of shock of seeing the liner there (hey, 24,000 tons is a heck of a lot of merchant ship to sink) and then...TORPEDOES LOS!

My first three torpedoes covered the 400 meters to the liner very quickly. First torpedo was a dud (pity too...aimed it at the engine room, thought the impact detonator would've ruptured the boiler), but my second and third torpedoes struck hard and true, tube two right under the bridge on magnetic and tube three in the bow on impact. Meanwhile, torpedo #4 broke the back of the small tanker I had sent it after, and tubes 5 & 6 took down both Tribal DDs.

So, while I was reloading my tubes, I took a look at the liner through the periscope. He was listing to port, but still not going under. When my stern tubes finished loading, I reversed my orientation to him and fired tubes 5 & 6 at him from 450 meters on impact (didn't what to risk the possibility of being spotted if I surfaced to use the deck gun...later did anyway), and about 10 minutes later, I got a "She's going down!" message. :) On my way out, I spotted a pair of C3s and a T3 tanker that I must've missed while dodging the two Tribal DDs and sunk them (two torpedoes into each C3, three torpedoes into the T3).

Now I'm stuck in a boring patrol grid off of the coast of Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. ::eyeroll:: All I've seen so far have been a few tugs and a coastal merchant...not worth the torpedoes.

Der Eisen-Wal
06-07-06, 10:11 PM
went in today, GW mod only. It was fantastic. I put up the attack periscope around 3 in the afternoon. The sight was breathtaking. 1 Passenger Liner, 2 T3s, 4 C2s, 1 Liberty, 1 Old Liner, 2 Troop transports. There were no active destroyers, only a small patrol boat. I took my time.. going for the troop transports, 2 in each, 3 into the passenger liner, 2 into the Old LIner from distances up to 3km, and 2 into a T3. It didn't sink while I was there though, the T3 wasn't recorded in my patrol.. Do I have to stay in the vicinity even if I know it's sinking?

andy_311
06-08-06, 04:15 AM
It was raining when I went into Freetown, Enigma. :D That was the funniest part of it all, actually, that I could even see the accidental mark I made on my hand with the grease pencil. lol Came in past a pair of Tribal destroyers and started looking at what was there...mostly small merchants, coastal merchants, tugs, etc., but then when I was starting to turn to set up tubes 5 & 6 on the Tribal DDs, I noticed something massive about 400 meters in front of me, AOB 88 degrees starboard. Went to the periscope, zoomed in and lo! and behold...

...a liner!!!

Checked his flag really quickly (he was British), and setup a targetting solution on him with tubes 1,2, & 3 loaded with G7a torpedoes (tube 4 I sent after a small tanker on the port side of him, and tubes 5 & 6 on the Tribal DDs at the mouth of the harbor). The tension, the excitement, looked at my IWO and he looks like he's about ready to piss his pants out of shock of seeing the liner there (hey, 24,000 tons is a heck of a lot of merchant ship to sink) and then...TORPEDOES LOS!

My first three torpedoes covered the 400 meters to the liner very quickly. First torpedo was a dud (pity too...aimed it at the engine room, thought the impact detonator would've ruptured the boiler), but my second and third torpedoes struck hard and true, tube two right under the bridge on magnetic and tube three in the bow on impact. Meanwhile, torpedo #4 broke the back of the small tanker I had sent it after, and tubes 5 & 6 took down both Tribal DDs.

So, while I was reloading my tubes, I took a look at the liner through the periscope. He was listing to port, but still not going under. When my stern tubes finished loading, I reversed my orientation to him and fired tubes 5 & 6 at him from 450 meters on impact (didn't what to risk the possibility of being spotted if I surfaced to use the deck gun...later did anyway), and about 10 minutes later, I got a "She's going down!" message. :) On my way out, I spotted a pair of C3s and a T3 tanker that I must've missed while dodging the two Tribal DDs and sunk them (two torpedoes into each C3, three torpedoes into the T3).

Now I'm stuck in a boring patrol grid off of the coast of Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. ::eyeroll:: All I've seen so far have been a few tugs and a coastal merchant...not worth the torpedoes.

If you got sufficient fuel sail down to ED98 and linger in the enterance of the inlet a lot of T2,T3,and liberty ships pass there even a nice convoy mainly made up of Troop ships a Liner (she's armed) and a cruiser.and a **** load of dd's.

andy_311
06-08-06, 04:18 AM
went in today, GW mod only. It was fantastic. I put up the attack periscope around 3 in the afternoon. The sight was breathtaking. 1 Passenger Liner, 2 T3s, 4 C2s, 1 Liberty, 1 Old Liner, 2 Troop transports. There were no active destroyers, only a small patrol boat. I took my time.. going for the troop transports, 2 in each, 3 into the passenger liner, 2 into the Old LIner from distances up to 3km, and 2 into a T3. It didn't sink while I was there though, the T3 wasn't recorded in my patrol.. Do I have to stay in the vicinity even if I know it's sinking?

As far as I know yep. suprised you didn't take any incomeing "old liners" out.

Der Eisen-Wal
06-08-06, 08:47 AM
As far as I know yep. suprised you didn't take any incomeing "old liners" out.

Was out of torps by the time I was done. It was a long ride home.