PDA

View Full Version : Pick whose comming to dinner

TLAM Strike
06-03-06, 09:58 PM
Inspired by the USS Jimmy Carter thread...

You must invite one US President to a weekend BBQ at your home where all your friends and family will be.

Rules: Must be a living former or current US President, only one exception for Ronald Reagan since he died less than a year ago and it makes it an even poll.

CCIP
06-03-06, 10:42 PM
I always thought of Carter as a nice guy among the bunch who'd fit in well at an average joe's home. He wasn't a great president, in fact, I think quite lowly of him in that regard, but all I've heard of him after his presidency seemed to indicate that Jimmy's a good man.

Reagan and Billy I'd also see. Both of them were charismatic guys, I'd get them over just to listen them talk or something.

diver
06-03-06, 11:37 PM
Jimmy Carter.I'll admit I dont know a thing about him politically, couldnt give a stuff really.But the bloke was a Submariner, he gets the invite.

TteFAboB
06-03-06, 11:43 PM
W. Bush, just to piss half the world off.

Yahoshua
06-04-06, 01:54 AM
Hmm, tough decisions, lets eliminate them:

Gerald Ford (1974-1977)
Only beef I really have against this guy would be the pardoning of Nixon before he went to trial after his impeachment. Although I wasn't around for that, he should've let the courts do their duty instead of giving preferential treatment to celebrities.

Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)
Pardoned "Slick Willy" for being a draft dodger/felon.

Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
The Iran-Contra scandal, but it was meant for the intent of indirectly freeing hostages. Albeit, inexcusable, the man actually had quite a successful term as president.

George H. W. Bush (1989-1993)
Signed the documents banning imports of foreign arms (ironically at the request of OUR firearms industry due to the threat of cheaper made firearms undermining the U.S. market). Not to mention his total screwing up with the Gulf War (which we are now cleaning up after his mess). NAFTA (he drafted it, and Bill Clinton signed it)

Bill Clinton (1993-2001)
Failed to take out Osama when he ahad the chance to do so (read Dereliction of Duty by Robert Patterson). Pardoned HUNDREDS of Convicted felons and Death-row inmates upon his departure from office. And he enacted the AWB (which nearly destroyed our domestic firearms industry).

George W. Bush (2001-200[9])
I don't think I have to elaborate on this one. The man may mean to do well, but for god sakes he's a businessman NOT a politician.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And the winner is (drumroll) Ronald Reagan!!!

STEED
06-04-06, 06:26 AM
Ronald Reagan, what a great man he was. :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Rose
06-04-06, 09:44 AM
W. Bush, just to piss half the world off.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Subnuts
06-04-06, 10:31 AM
I would invite Gerald Ford, but I'd have to child-proof everything in my house before he came. I hear he like football. And nachos. Football and nachos!

I would invite Jimmy Carter, and we would indulge in our shared affection for peanut butter and other peanut products.

I have the technology. I can rebuild Ronald Reagan. And then we'd gorge ourselves on gourmet jelly beans. Yum!

I would invite George H.W. Bush, but I'm afraid he'd dazzle me with a thousand points of light.

I would invite Bill Clinton, and we'd get drunk and have a night on the town and pick up some hookers afterwards. Real Savage Like!

I would invite George W Bush, and engage in an activity contrary to his core beliefs.:zzz: Then we'd get chop down trees and have a barbecue. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad afterall.

Kapitan_Phillips
06-04-06, 10:42 AM
What is this place...Am-er-i-ca? O_O ;)

Bort
06-04-06, 03:53 PM
Bill Clinton. Why? Because the man is perhaps the best socializer (probably not a word) living. Also, he loves good food (ever see the SNL sketch with Phil Hartman as Clinton where he eats everything in a McDonalds?). Bottom line, perfect guy to have at your party!:yep:

XabbaRus
06-04-06, 03:55 PM
I voted George W Bush.

Why, well when we get out the scrabble board or play pictionary we get some comedy.

Sailor Steve
06-04-06, 04:01 PM
Gerald Ford (1974-1977)
Only beef I really have against this guy would be the pardoning of Nixon before he went to trial after his impeachment. Although I wasn't around for that, he should've let the courts do their duty instead of giving preferential treatment to celebrities.
Unfortunately that was part of the deal. Nixon selects Ford to be his new Vice President; Ford pardons Nixon after he's in office. I voted for Ford in '76, mainly because I thought he deserved a chance to be elected in his own right. Decent guy, from everything I've read.

Actually, politics aside, I would love to sit down, eat and chat with any of those guys.

kiwi_2005
06-04-06, 09:03 PM
Ronald Reagan. Seem a great president, although i think his wife had more power than he did! :D