PDA

View Full Version : Immigration system unfit - Reid

STEED
05-23-06, 03:36 PM
Immigration system unfit - Reid

Home Secretary John Reid has damned his department's immigration operation as "not fit for purpose" with "inadequate" leadership and management systems.
Other failings showed the Home Office could be "dysfunctional" and "wholesale transformation" was "probably" needed.

Although he did not rule out splitting the Home Office, he told MPs there was some logic to its current structure.

Ex-minister John Denham called it "a fairly stark assessment of the state of the Home Office".

Mr Reid told the Commons home affairs committee that jobs could still go after 1,019 foreign prisoners were released without deportation being considered.

'Stark assessment'

He said he had had to deal with "a tidal wave of events" since he became home secretary a fortnight ago.

While his department had been trying to cope with the problems of mass migration, "our system is not fit for purpose", he said.

It's not my job to manage this department - it's my job to lead this department
John Reid

"It's inadequate in terms of its scope, it's inadequate in terms of its information technology, leadership, management systems and processes," he said.

Mr Reid said the Home Office was in a state of transition from a paper-based system to a technology-based one.

He said he believed "we can carry out and must carry out" a fundamental overhaul of the Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND).

Staff had been given eight point action plan on which to work. "It's not my job to manage this department - it's my job to lead this department."

REID'S EIGHT PRIORITY AREAS:
Ensure individuals in contact with criminal justice, immigration and asylum systems have a unique personal number
Make it an obligation for suspects and criminals to declare their nationality
Instruct all agencies to refer other categories of foreign national cases to immigration directorate
Order officials to audit-trail all policy criteria governing which individuals should be considered for deportation
All decisions on deportation to be made according to the most robust interpretation of international obligation requirements
Clear procedures demanded for dealing with foreign national prisoners held in Scotland and Northern Ireland
Officials to make arrangements for considering deportation of mentally disordered offenders
Enhance arrangements to facilitate the return of prisoners earlier in their sentence

Asked about the cabinet secretary's suggestion last week that no civil servants were likely to lose their job over the foreign prisoner releases, he said: "Don't count on it."

He said he did not believe the Home Office was "intrinsically dysfunctional... but I do believe from time to time it is dysfunctional in the sense it doesn't work".

He said he wanted to move to a situation where foreign nationals, who had abused the privilege of being in this country by being convicted of a serious offence, "should be deported - full stop".

He said he would not be opposed to publicising the names of the most serious offenders still on the loose if he was asked by the police.

But ex-Tory leader and former Home Secretary Michael Howard said Mr Reid's comments were the "most terrible indictment" of the three men who had been in charge of the Home Office since Labour came to power.

'Years of neglect'

"I believe the Home Office was fit for purpose when I left it in 1997," he told BBC2's Daily Politics.

"It's a big department, it's a difficult department to run but it can be run properly.

"What he's confessed to this morning is the result of nine years of neglect by his three Labour predecessors."

Mr Reid gave his withering assessment of sections of his department shortly after revealing that 85 of the 186 serious foreign offenders who were released from prison without being considered for deportation since 1999, were still at large.

Of the 37 "most serious" offenders, 27 were in jail, including four murderers, and two were thought to be dead.

During the committee hearing Lin Homer, director general of the Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND), revealed that 20 of the foreign prisoners were known to have been re-convicted of "more serious" offences after their release.

Six were for sex offences - but not against children - three for violence, 11 for actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm.

Mr Reid also used the platform to defend his decision to switch Immigration Minister Tony McNulty and Police Minister Liam Byrne, saying their new roles fitted their respective talents.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5007148.stm

Published: 2006/05/23 16:18:44 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Bloody heck I nearly fell off my chair after watching him on TV. Can we really have a no (BS) Home Office Minister at long last? Bloody heck pigs just might fly and I may have a good day tomorrow, I was stunned at this confession there may be hope after all.

Sir Big Jugs
05-23-06, 03:42 PM
STEED news studio hits again! :lol: [/code]

STEED
05-23-06, 03:45 PM
STEED news studio hits again! :lol: [/code]

This story amazed me and I can not stand the present Government, don’t panic I am not posting loads of news any more.

;) :)

Konovalov
05-23-06, 03:58 PM
Reid has his head so far up Tony Blairs a-hole that the Ministry of Defence were thinking of sending in the SAS hostage rescue team to locate him.

STEED
05-23-06, 04:33 PM
Reid has his head so far up Tony Blairs a-hole

Got any pictures? :rotfl:

Konovalov
05-23-06, 05:34 PM
Thankfully not but I just watched Mark Oaten on BBC's Newsnight share with the public his ordeal with a London Rent-boy. :down:

The Avon Lady
05-24-06, 01:44 AM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch............. (http://hotair.com/archives/vent/2006/05/10/more-border-disorder/)

STEED
05-24-06, 06:28 AM
I am starting to think that John Reid is passing the buck on his staff and if he dose that well no change. :nope: