PDA

View Full Version : Registry mechanic.

Linton
05-22-06, 03:48 PM
This afternoon I purchased a programme called registry mechanic.It was £23 .Did I waste my money?Is such a programme necessary for every day usage?Comments please.

TLAM Strike
05-22-06, 04:38 PM
I think you might have. Check out http://www.ccleaner.com/ its what I use and it works fine with no damage to my wallet.

Linton
05-22-06, 04:58 PM
I use the same company's spy ware doctor.The registry cleaner came up with 500!!! errors at first sweep.I dont really know how critical this is or how unstable my system is/was.I will probably not renew it after the licence period.

STEED
05-22-06, 05:02 PM
This afternoon I purchased a programme called registry mechanic.It was £23 .Did I waste my money?Is such a programme necessary for every day usage?Comments please.

Sorry to say this yes you did you’re better off with the free Ccleaner that dose a great job. :yep:

Linton
05-22-06, 05:09 PM
Anybody else want some free money for nothing?Don't all reply at once!!!I have got some cuban pesos to give away!

STEED
05-22-06, 05:16 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

jumpy
05-22-06, 06:40 PM
Hehe, registry cleaners :lol: is that a euphamism for formatting your drive and reinstalling your OS ?
I used one othe those things at work a while back; fortunately I made a system settings restore point before I did anything, because after I ran the registry cleaner, the main program I use at work (AutoCAD) and other programs like office etc had parts missing and kept crashing loads :P
Maybe I did something wrong :lol:
Not ventured anywhere near a registry cleaner program since, unless I'm using window$ 'regedit' and following detailed instructions from symantec security response :smug:

Iceman
05-23-06, 12:02 AM
There is no need to even worry about your registry in day to day operations. If for some reason you were prompted about "Cleaning" your registry in the first place sounds like all you need to do is run Spybot, and Adaware visit tomcoyete.org for a program called Hi-Jack This...goto trend-micro's web site and run a free virus scan and while you are there, they have purchased the program CWSShredder which searches your computer for the "Cool Web Search " variant trojan/worm/very nasty program...ALL of these are free....if you survive thru all of those with no real problems get your self Norton or Mcaffe virus protection and ZoneLabs, ZoneAlarm free firewall and you should be all set.

As someone here commented you have to be very careful with spyware type programs because they may find parts of legitimate programs that you have installed and interpert them as spyware and when you delete the entries your valid programs will no longer work.

dat was free...

Linton
05-23-06, 03:41 AM
:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

STEED
05-23-06, 05:47 AM
Linton, you can pick up all the freeware here at one site.

:up: http://www.filehippo.com/

Linton
05-23-06, 05:49 AM
Steed thankyou for that.Where would you like me to post the cuban pesos to?I also have a few rupees you can have.

STEED
05-23-06, 05:56 AM
Steed thankyou for that.Where would you like me to post the cuban pesos to?I also have a few rupees you can have.

To a charity of your choice. :up: :D :cool: :D :up:

JScones
05-23-06, 06:47 AM
Hey, thanks guys. Just d/l'ed and gave CCleaner a bash based on the recommendations here. It's not bad. :up:

lesrae
05-23-06, 07:11 AM
A particularly nice bit is the option to retain selected cookies when you do a clean, it saves you having to log back into sites like this after a clean.