PDA

View Full Version : The definitive SHIV should contain the following items....

matsterman
05-19-06, 10:19 PM
First of all, American Subs. Sub war from the Japanese said was much more limited and less dependent on sinking shipping.

American strategy was heavily dependent upon sinking shipping due to Japan's much higher need of resources, rubber, ore, etc., etc, and the movement of those resources to the home island.

So, from a gaming point, there would be more to do.

Secondly, S types, Gato Types, and Balao types should all be included.

Thirdly, and most IMPORTANTLY, MINE FIELDS. Historically added at various points in time, mine fields played a major role in the US having to change its strategy towards missions around the Japanese islands.

Recognition charts including the Sub Aces for America should be recognized.

On the more annoying side, sinking ships, and then having them "unconfirmed" should be a possibility.

Movement throughout the sub would be nice.

Crew Members on transports and survivors in the water, just in case you want to shoot them, which was done from time to time with no repurcussions to the American Sub Captains.

A good scenario editor

Ability to go within Japanese ports on various islands to sink shipping at anchor, especially war ships docked.

Thats a good start

Umfuld
05-20-06, 08:31 AM
just in case you want to shoot them

:rotfl:

GlobalExplorer
05-20-06, 09:37 AM
First of all, American Subs. Sub war from the Japanese said was much more limited and less dependent on sinking shipping.

Alas, that's true. Japanese boats were too large and not as well designed as German or American ones.

But they look fantastic - and I love Japanese design!

I'd say it would be perfect if we had American subs in the stock game but the engine would allow German / Japanese / British subs as community mods. To simulate the whole sub war.

AG124
05-20-06, 01:40 PM
I seriously doubt there will be any survivors in the water, much less shootable ones. The SHIII dev team (many of the members of which are members of the SHIV dev team) absolutely refused to even include lifeboats in SHIII.

Sailor Steve
05-20-06, 01:55 PM
There is already a Wish List and a Suggestions List stickied at the top of the page. Does everyone who wants to add to them really need to start a new thread?

Rosencrantz
05-20-06, 04:34 PM
Well, Steve, I would like to... :-j

-RC-

DeepSix
05-20-06, 05:25 PM
There is already a Wish List and a Suggestions List stickied at the top of the page. Does everyone who wants to add to them really need to start a new thread?

Agree with that. Plus those two are stickied. The enthusiasm for SH4 is *great* - but for the sake of making sure the devs don't miss anybody's suggestions, it's better to have as few threads as possible. Better to put it all in one place; that's why they were started.

don1reed
05-21-06, 09:19 AM
Crew Members on transports and survivors in the water, just in case you want to shoot them, which was done from time to time with no repurcussions to the American Sub Captains.

If you would read about Wahoo's January patrol, see pp. 380-385, Blair's SILENT VICTORY.

Regarded a WAR CRIME by many and no different than what KL Eck accomplished. Still, we'll never know if repercussions would have happened or criminal charges placed, since Mush Morton 'bought the farm', himself.

The "Laconia Incident" is another example of perceived WAR CRIMES by many, where Allied aircraft bombs non-combatant survivors of a U-Boat sinking while the same U-Boat is trying to rescue them. (Bring on the lawyers!)

...mass murder...do you really want to experience those 'feelings' of power over the powerless as an option in a game?
:o

DeepSix
05-21-06, 12:09 PM
There'll be no "Mushing" on my boat. :nope:

Fishie
05-21-06, 09:35 PM
What it should feature is a "Bowfin Edition" complete with a slide-by-slide walkthrough of the Bowfin at Pearl Harbor, complete with the audio straight from the museum feature herself.

When I went to Pearl, that was one of the coolest things ever.

Well, that *and* getting lost on the 'Mo. :rock: