PDA

View Full Version : US could access EU data retention information

STEED
05-15-06, 04:27 PM
US authorities can get access to EU citizens' data on phone calls, sms' and emails, giving a recent EU data-retention law much wider-reaching consequences than first expected, reports Swedish daily Sydsvenskan.

The EU data retention bill, passed in February after much controversy and with implementation tabled for late 2007, obliges telephone operators and internet service providers to store information on who called who and who emailed who for at least six months, aimed at fighting terrorism and organised crime.

A week later on 2-3 March, EU and US representatives met in Vienna for an informal high level meeting on freedom, security and justice where the US expressed interest in the future storage of information.

The US delegation to the meeting "indicated that it was considering approaching each [EU] member state to ensure that the data collected on the basis of the recently adopted Directive on data retention be accessible to them," according to the notes of the meeting.

Representatives from the Austrian EU presidency and from the European Commission said that these data were "accessible like any other data on the basis of the existing ... agreements" the notes said.

The EU representatives added that the commission would convene an expert meeting on the issue.

Under current agreements, if the FBI, for example, is interested in a group of EU citizens from a member state who are involved in an investigation, the bureau can ask for help with a prosecutor in that member state.

The national prosecutor then requests telephone operators and internet service providers for information, which is then passed on to the FBI.

This procedure opens the way for US authorities to get access under the EU data-retention law, according to the Swedish newspaper.

In the US itself meanwhile, fury has broken out in the US congress after reports revealed that the Bush administration covertly collected domestic phone records of tens of millions of US citizens since the attacks in New York on 11 September 2001.

President George Bush did not deny the allegations in a television statement last night, but insisted that his administration had not broken any laws.

Bloody cheek :nope:

http://euobserver.com/9/21580

Skybird
05-15-06, 05:07 PM
"...the commission would convene an expert meeting on the issue."

Frigthening. It only can cause havoc.

Onkel Neal
05-15-06, 05:14 PM
pwn3d!

Skybird
05-15-06, 05:18 PM
pwn3d!

Hä...?

Wim Libaers
05-15-06, 05:49 PM
Considering that European politicians generally do not really appreciate democracy of freedom (though they might occasionally pay lip service to it if forced), and their welcoming attitude towards hostile anti-European immigrant populations can already be considered outright treason of their countries, comparatively minor details like helping a foreign nation spy on your citizens should not surprise anyone.

Besides, wouldn't you want to know what all those fundamentalists inside Europe are doing? :P

GreyOctober
05-15-06, 05:49 PM
pwn3d! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"ONWED" in l33t language

I guess Neal changed his keyboard :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

http://heptadecagram.net/parchments/l33t/images/l33t-keyboard.jpg

GreyOctober
05-15-06, 05:50 PM
Oh and on the subject in question...bloody cheeky indeed :down:

Onkel Neal
05-15-06, 10:40 PM

"ONWED" in l33t language

I'm branching out with my language skillz :88)

GreyOctober
05-16-06, 03:54 AM

"ONWED" in l33t language

Its "sk1llz" Neal......"sk1llz" :stare:

Skybird
05-16-06, 04:44 AM
Hä...? :roll:

Kapitan
05-16-06, 05:02 AM
If americans can do it to us we should do it to them.

DeepSix
05-16-06, 05:59 AM

"ONWED" in l33t language

Its "sk1llz" Neal......"sk1llz" :stare:

Yeah, get it right, d00d! :P

August
05-16-06, 10:50 AM

The Americans can only "do it to you" if your governments let them. That seems to be the case, but if you're really bent on revenge then feel free to request US phone records through our government. They just might oblige you.

goldorak
05-16-06, 12:21 PM

Unfortunately we don't have the "power" economic or military that they have; to do otherwise. :nope:

STEED
05-16-06, 01:48 PM

The Americans can only "do it to you" if your governments let them.

Hey August have you met are Prime Minister?

When George and Tony meet it goes like this -

George, "Roll over Tony that's a good boy now fetch"
Tony, "Woof woof "
George, "Good boy Tony well done, what's that you say Tony you want to lick my http://www.langkawi.dk/midis/9.gif

August
05-16-06, 02:20 PM

Tony, "Woof woof "
George, "Good boy Tony well done, what's that you say Tony you want to lick my http://www.langkawi.dk/midis/9.gif

Well he isn't seen that way from our side of the pond, so why do you say that? Just because he isn't an American hating rabble rouser like Chirac or that Schroder feller?

STEED
05-16-06, 02:45 PM

Tony, "Woof woof "

Well he isn't seen that way from our side of the pond, so why do you say that? Just because he isn't an American hating rabble rouser like Chirac or that Schroder feller?

Tony Blair rolls over for Europe as well, He just can not think for himself he's a joke a worn out joke. :rotfl:

retired1212
05-17-06, 06:46 AM
7h1n65 4r3 pr377y ****3d up fr0m n0w 0n :D

STEED
05-17-06, 07:01 AM
7h1n65 4r3 pr377y ****3d up fr0m n0w 0n :D

WHAT? :hmm: