PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buff Novels

Linton
05-08-06, 07:12 AM
I found this author whilst surfing and he seems to have written a number of submarine novels.Would any of you like to give a critique of his work?

Linton
05-08-06, 04:21 PM
Bill Nichols,I saw a bio picture for Joe Buff and there is a resemblance, are you related?

Driftwood
05-08-06, 04:48 PM
I've read a few of his books and I've found them to be very entertaining!

blue3golf
05-08-06, 06:02 PM
I've read one, it was alright, something to read I guess. Got repetitive after awhile. Forgot the name of book though.

Bill Nichols
05-08-06, 06:57 PM
Bill Nichols,I saw a bio picture for Joe Buff and there is a resemblance, are you related?

You mean this guy?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/3/16364.jpg

Scary, ain't it? :o

Linton
05-09-06, 03:28 PM
Bill is that your twin brother?You must be related somewhere in your ancestry-have you read any of his books?

Grayback
11-06-06, 06:42 PM
I read one of the Buff books and I loved it - not sure why I didn't go back for others, though I just might. I'm going to take a stab at this and say it's not at all realistic - however Buff convincingly crafts technology in a way that flows. It mnay not be real to our own world but it makes sense in his own. That's more than you can say for many other technothrillers. The story I read - which involved a submarine insertion into the Baltic and a raid of a German hi-tech lab - was great, sort of a Lucas-Speilberg style story in print. The story excelled because the enemy threat was very compelling - they had the technology and the will to keep the good guys on the ropes. Definately a fast read.

Iron Budokan
02-12-07, 02:04 PM
I'm a professional science fiction writer. I read Crush Depth, a near future thriller. Not bad writing per se but his scenario for the start of the war (An alliance between France and South Africa) has no relation whatsoever to reality. Another howler: People in his books listen to the music from WWII because (for some psychological reason) the war they are having now makes them nostalgic. Ridiculous...but the usual kind of mistake someone who is not familiar with SF would make. It can be overlooked.

A better writer over all than Clancy, though. Buff at least gives a passing nod at his characterization, though again a lot of secondary characters are of the two-dimensional stock.

His real metier is in writing the sub vs. sub battles. That's when the book shines, imo. (Except for the final confrontation which comes across as anti-climatic.) All the rest is filler...often of the nature that makes one cringe. There's also a love interest. It's okay, if transparent.

If you like sub books you might like reading Buff. No great literary mind at work here, but an entertaining (if unforgettable) read. And the sub battles really are awsome.... :up:

torpedochief
02-15-07, 10:36 PM
Glad you all like Joe's work. He's a great guy also. I met him before I really considered writing. It was while I was stationed on USS DALLAS SSN 700. He and the New York Navy League would brig six foot sub sandwiches to the boats. It was oly after I had written OF ICE AND STEEL, that we met. He gave me a nice blurb for the book and we've stayed in touch.

Don

loynokid
02-16-07, 10:13 PM
I have immensely enjoyed joe buffs novels... i think they are almost comparable to hunt for the red october and red storm rising. i will probably get a lot of critism for saying this but i like the more constant adrenaline pumping action and the never ending suspense. these are great reads. i highly recomend them. I know i am coming across as very optimistic towards his books, but i think that they are a very compelling and interesting. glad for the good reception, and i wish mr. buff the best of luck

nikimcbee
02-21-07, 11:26 PM
Could somebody recommend one to start with? I was looking at his website, do you need to read them in order? They look interesting enough, but I usually only read non-fiction.

loynokid
02-22-07, 04:50 PM
Could somebody recommend one to start with? I was looking at his website, do you need to read them in order? They look interesting enough, but I usually only read non-fiction.

They all have a fore-word, so you are pretty much caught up on the action when you start reading any in the series. I started with straits of power, but you can really start with any one that looks good to you. I would go to his website if you want more info. :yep:

torpedochief
02-22-07, 08:30 PM
Hey Guys,

While you visit the Joe Buff site. Jump over to my novel's site. Me and Joe are in the same web ring. Also if you like air battles Dale Brown is there.

Don
Author of OF ICE AND STEEL
www.oficeandsteel.com (http://www.oficeandsteel.com)

loynokid
02-23-07, 04:52 PM
Hey Guys,

While you visit the Joe Buff site. Jump over to my novel's site. Me and Joe are in the same web ring. Also if you like air battles Dale Brown is there.

Don
Author of OF ICE AND STEEL
www.oficeandsteel.com (http://www.oficeandsteel.com)

Ok, thanks :) :up:

nikimcbee
03-04-07, 01:47 AM
I bought "Crush Depth." It's in my reading queue.:lol: