PDA

View Full Version : Maybe in SH5 we can finally be American subs

Kpt. Franz-Josef Lemmle
04-28-06, 01:33 PM
Maybe I am the only one...but I am NOT interested in being Japanese in SHIV. The American subs like the USS Bowfin have such a great story to tell, why make SHIV Japanese?! :down: :down: :down:

AG124
04-28-06, 01:55 PM
Unless something has changed, I have heard that SHIV is going to have US subs after all. It was initially reported that the subs were going to be Japanese, but then it was officially announced that they would be US.

Rosencrantz
04-28-06, 04:09 PM
Whatta... :huh:
Jeez... Nearly got a stroke... :dead:

Next time, think twice what kind of post you will sent! PLEASE. :stare:

People here could get killed by your actions! :88)

USN boats :rock:

-RC-

AG124
04-28-06, 04:54 PM
Next time, think twice what kind of post you will sent! PLEASE. :stare:

People here could get killed by your actions! :88)

Me, or Kpt. Franz-Josef Lemmle?

Rosencrantz
04-28-06, 05:02 PM
No, not you AG! Kptn was on my crosshair. :lol:

Greetings,

-RC-

Rosencrantz
04-28-06, 05:05 PM
What Kptn wrote, got me just a little nervous... :P

Don't wanna change coming gato for I-boat. :rotfl:

-RC-

GlobalExplorer
04-29-06, 12:45 PM
Hopefully we'll get both. There are more than 100 million Japanese and SHIV with Japanese subs would be a smash hit there. I hope someone at UBI realizes how many more copies they could sell for some U-Boat interiors and additional artwork.

bookworm_020
04-30-06, 08:00 PM
Global explorer, I think your sig is wrong, isn't windows the evil empire??

Torplexed
05-01-06, 01:37 AM
I think that sig is a riot myself. :rotfl:

STEED
05-01-06, 06:48 AM
Maybe I am the only one...but I am NOT interested in being Japanese in SHIV. The American subs like the USS Bowfin have such a great story to tell, why make SHIV Japanese?! :down: :down: :down:

Who said that? how dare they, place them in a torp tube and fire them in to the deep sea. :-j

It's a up graded version of SH1 and I am looking forward to getting hold of it. :up:

McBeck
05-01-06, 07:36 AM

Who said that? how dare they, place them in a torp tube and fire them in to the deep sea. :-j

It's a up graded version of SH1 and I am looking forward to getting hold of it. :up:
It will be based on an updated version of the SH3 graphics engine.

Fab
05-01-06, 04:22 PM
I am not a scholar on Japanese submarines, or the naval war in the Pacific to any great extent, but just wanted to chime in on a few thoughts which may or may not be 100% accurate.

American submarines pounded Japanese shipping. I mean, more than half of Japanese merchant shipping (over five million tons) was sunk by American submarines, right?

But Japanese submarines were not primarily used against shipping, but against warships, or later to transport supplies. Neither of those sounds like a very fun mission to undertake.

Most importantly, however, didn't the Japanese view service in submarines to be without much honor, thus the sub service was filled up with more than its share of the worst sailors in the IJN? Compared to the USN in which service in submarines is almost considered elite.

So I would think Japanese submarines would be much of a hit, maybe not even in Japan. I don't know how much is left of the old cultural concepts now among the Japanese "video game" crowd, but I would think sneaking around in a submarine just wouldn't appeal to the average Japanese person.

Feel free to debunk anything I've said above, as I am not 100% of any of it.

Tonnage_Ace
05-02-06, 04:23 AM
The Japanese invented the stealth concept, or at least honed it to perfection with the ninja mentality/skills/self-discipline. Quite the contradiction to the suspected views of serving on a Japanese sub in WWII.

Fab
05-02-06, 06:27 AM
Weren't the ninja officially looked down upon as a distasteful but necessary political tool of the Sengoku Jidai period? I don't think the Japanese, then or in WWII, prided themselves on being sneaky. I thought the concept was to seek glory in battle and, if the needs of the emperor were served by it, death.

Tonnage_Ace
05-02-06, 08:33 AM
Weren't the ninja officially looked down upon as a distasteful but necessary political tool of the Sengoku Jidai period? I don't think the Japanese, then or in WWII, prided themselves on being sneaky. I thought the concept was to seek glory in battle and, if the needs of the emperor were served by it, death.
I never said the Japanese didn't look down upon ninjas, simply that the skills of stealth were perfected with the advent of them.

Ping Jockey
05-02-06, 11:25 AM
Gato class fleet boats :up: :up: :up:

U-104
05-02-06, 07:02 PM
:yep: :rock:

Torplexed
05-02-06, 07:22 PM
Gimme the Narwhal Class with the two 6 inch guns. I'll duke it out on the surface. :rock: No stealth for me.

DeepSix
05-02-06, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I'd enjoy playing with V-class boats and landing some Raiders on Makin.... The older boats were slower and less maneuverable underwater; Argonaut was actually built as a minelayer - who says playing American subs can't be challenging?! :D