PDA

View Full Version : SH2: French sub do not work?

JapLance
03-21-06, 03:35 PM
I've been trying a pack of a few subs in SH2 which have been tweaked to work as human, and I thought it was strange that NSSDiane and NSSRedoutable had not been touched.

I quickly set up a mission in Kriegstanz and gave my player a Redoutable... Crashed without a hint: no Janus error, nothing. NSSDiane worked though.

I've been searching old threads in these forums, but didn't find anything useful about Redoutable. Anyone has an idea on what's going on with this boat?.

GlowwormGuy
03-24-06, 08:00 PM
First thing to do - copy and paste one of the German U-boats, a type VII perhaps then simply make the model the one you want to use. Nothing else, just to see if the model works in the game. Then you go about changing it. The Japanese subs seem to work in this way though there are still some unexplained crashes - it might have to do with the torpedoes.

Oh and make the country Germany at least at the start. Basically if the model will work then just change little things one by one than playtest.

Best of luck!
Mountbatten

JapLance
03-25-06, 04:46 AM
Well, I've followed your recomendations and there seems to be two main problems:

- AA guns work only in IA mode, if I try to go there to fire myself, the game crashes

-And then, as you predicted, the torpedo tubes seem to be causing problems. There are 11 of them in this boat!:hmm:.

Apart from that, there were some fields in the German subs that were not in the Redoutable. I've added them, haven't changed the German TT and it seems to work for the moment. When I have some time I'll try to add as many French Torps as possible.

GlowwormGuy
03-26-06, 01:49 AM
Okay, the torps are a big problem - I think, like the DC turrets - you can have no more than six or eight I forget which. The AA gun is still the German MG? If it still gives you problems then you may have to delete it though I know other subs have found a workaround. Anyway, a MG is an MG is an MG. Worse comes to worse make a 'German version' of the gun you're using.

Best of luck,
Mountbatten

JapLance
03-27-06, 04:53 AM
And - good news JapLance - there IS a workaround for the non-German anti-aircraft guns. Machineguns don't work... but (hint, hint) AA guns do!

Cheers,
Mountbatten

hmmmm, I tried changing MG1 and MG2 for AA1 and AA2, but PC crashed miserably to desktop, so I guess it's better to keep the MG1 and MG2. At least this way IA's half blind gunners can try to scare the enemy. Anyway, I'll try the German guns as well and see what happens.

The torpedo matter is as you say, any number higher than six makes a nice crash. I remembered about Pacific Aces Mod and the explanation about Virtual Tubes, but I don't seem to be able to port it to the UDF. So for the moment, only 6x533mm tubes on the Redoutable (4 forward+2 astern).

GlowwormGuy
03-27-06, 07:41 PM
Just try changing the label - then again maybe there's really something about it that makes it unplayable. This is what I did for the British S class and the gun worked fine.

Mountbatten

Palindromeria
05-28-06, 02:05 PM
Many years ago i made a usable mod of the diane.
incredibly after years and years - its on subsim.com still under "altsub" for sh2 downloads
http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches05/ALTSUB.zip

additionally i converted perch the british s class the ijn subs(Imported from dc) , imported the japanese navy and started sinking maru's off japan
before the UBI sh/dc multiplay patch had even been put out.

http://members.aol.com/palindromeria/myhomepage/sh2files/Altsub2.zip

at the time pacaces mod did not exist and virtual tubes were just wishful thinking.
as a matter of fact many people expressed disinterest as the game was solely
"about UBOATS" or that "it was way too much like sh1"
( LOL )

the aa / mg thing is a node issue. i recall it crashing until i simply disabled the gun altogether. more than 6 tubes is an issue. sometimes radar was an issue as well.
i specifically recall the IJN subs were unusable until i changed the radar from japanese to german. oddly this was not a problem when using japanese ships in DC.
i also remember certain types of aa ammo caused crashes. i can offer no good explanation for the last 2 bugs i just know it took alot of tedious testing to suss it out. maybe looking at some of those edits will aid you i really dont remember much of the details anymore.

you can add the edited units to your databases
if you want carreer mode for ijn make them GERMAN

or generate missions in kriegstanz for individual missions
with default and add just edit the mission to use the renamed udf

thx for the memories :)