PDA

View Full Version : Morale

Kilamon
03-14-06, 04:50 PM
I checked search and the wiki but there seems to be little data other than "put your crew in the same place" in regards to morale. Since I'm not about to go and write down every crewman's name and track where I put him (it's annoying enough that I have to stick my boot up Fritz's ass everytime we surface to make him get up on the watch where he's supposed to be with the rest of the enlisted crew), I'd love to know if there's a better way to raise morale? I've attempted to move people around to the tower for a couple hours on watch (so they could theoretically get some air) and keeping the boat surfaced, submeged, etc. There's no rhyme or reason that I can find for morale other than awarding out medals and promotions. Does anyone out there have a good theory or idea on this? A lot of my crew are at 50-60% morale and I can't pass out the beers...

lafeeverted
03-14-06, 05:02 PM
What version of the game are you playing? Patched? What mods? morale doesn't work well in the stock/vanilla version.

Check out this mod , morale is now a factor.

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49428

the full readme withthe d/l explains everything in much more detail.

Kilamon
03-14-06, 05:51 PM
Sorry, Patched, RuB 1.45 and SH3 Commander v2.3... I'd love to install the Milk Cow mod, but it seems to conflict with RuB. *shrug*

Thanks for the link! I'll give it a try here and see how it runs. Hopefulyl it won't conflict; I dislike spending time troubleshooting over time actually sinking ships. :(

DMarkwick
03-14-06, 05:58 PM
I know some people like the fatigue thing, but I never saw why the captain should need to hold everyone's hand for shift change. That is a prime example of "someone else's job" :D

I know the sim tries to make as many jobs yours as possible (or desirable) but I never really saw the need for it. Maybe, maybe get the captain to set shifts at the beginning of the mission (or, more likely, campaign) and model fatigue the normal way, but not the way it's currently implemented. I play with no fatigue to "simulate" self-regulating shift changes. But I'd be happier with some sort of general fatigue model for looooong missions.

lafeeverted
03-14-06, 06:35 PM
I know what you mean about "not my job" to hold their hands. I had been playing with no fatigue for a while and eventually just found it a bit boring.I then tweaked the 3d render so that I was using fatigue in hunting/hunter situations which for me was much more enjoyable. Connected me with the boat and what was going on a bit more. Think of it this way....it may not be your job to tell them when to go to bed etc, but it certainly is your job to know the condition of your men. One thing do not like about the game set up is the lack of a way to easily identify crew members, that made it more of a PITA to switch crew around and keep track of who was who. I remedied this by assigning each crew member a specific task and rotation. I have 3 watches, 2 helm crews. 2 radio/sonar crew, 2 engineering crew, and crew assigned to the forward and stern torpedo rooms. Using SH3 commandr manage crew option, I simply add the assignment to their name ie: Hans Baur 1WO. It takes a little bit of thinking to get 44 crew assigned optimaly, divideing PO and enlisted men so that each crew has a bit of skill to do the job. Once they are all assigned I can oganize them in the boat according to job/rotation and keep them relatively together. It makes the rotation much easier and more enjoyable. Combining this method withthe NYGM Tonnage War mod keeps things interesting and very manageable. it takes time to set up a new career but the end result is worth it.

U-Dog
03-14-06, 10:01 PM
Very nice ideas there Cap'in Wolf. :D