PDA

View Full Version : Depth to bottom?

vodkajello
03-13-06, 03:10 PM
In my continuing journey of learning the game I've done some pretty silly things. Some of them I've mentioned in other threads. (Systematic elimination of all non friendly targets, mostly neutrals...)

In my second patrol I dove too deep and hit the ocean floor. Not at high speed of angle of descent, so no biggy. I got a repair crew together and took care of it.

Is there somewhere that tells you how much distance you have to the bottom? Some kind of depth reading you can take? I'd like to avoid doing something like that in an emergency. I can just see myself ordering a crash dive to escape some planes and hiting the bottom at a 30 degree incline. ouch.

kenijaru
03-13-06, 03:15 PM
you can ask the navigation officer.
reports > depth under keel
remember that the depth you read on the dials is the depth of the keel and the depth to the bottom is the distance between the keel and the bottom

Sailor Steve
03-13-06, 03:19 PM
Of course if you can read the echelot you can right-click on the navigator, take his place and click the button yourself.

But never do either one when destroyers are near-they'll here it and know exactly where you are.

vodkajello
03-13-06, 04:23 PM
Thanks lads.

This community is awesome.

It's really nice to see the more experienced players helping out the new guys. The influx of new players that are still picking up the game and posting is a good sign too.

tycho102
03-13-06, 10:21 PM
Download the "Setkeys" mod, and bind that Depth-Under-Keel (DUK) command to a key. Personally, I use the zero/right-parenthesis key, and combinations of shift, ctl, and alt.

0=weather report
shift-0=DUK
Ctl-0=Toggle radar on/off

Duk is one of the most critically useful commands you can issue upon sight of any vessel, regardless of identification. It's amazing that Ubisoft didn't make it easier to get to.

Khayman
03-14-06, 07:40 AM
I can just see myself ordering a crash dive to escape some planes and hiting the bottom at a 30 degree incline. ouch.

Been there, done that :D

Just wish you could bottom the boat and lie doggo. However even the slowest hit on the ocean floor damages the boat :(

don1reed
03-14-06, 08:52 AM
Hello all.

@ Khayman:

Rocks 'n shoals for "doggo".

On muddy, sandy bottoms, (which are modeled) approach with caution (1 knot) then gently set 'er down. It's best at all stop, about 1m, then put 'er down the rest of the way.

If you're in < 100m depth and crappy wx, beware of wave action reachin' down and helping you scrape barnacles or worse.

Cheers,

Khayman
03-14-06, 09:11 AM
Cheers. I knew I might be doing something wrong. I'm sure I did approach the bottom very slowly and carefully. I'll try it again though. Ta :D