PDA

View Full Version : Voyage to the domain of Neptunus Rex

Fitz62STG
03-11-06, 02:33 PM
Just crossed the equator in grid FF19 at 1802Z 11 May 1941 enroute to my assigned grid of FF58. First time I had ever been assigned a patrol position south of the equator. Proud to say that the officers and crew of U-123 have been indocrinated in the ways of the deep and now bear the highly esteemed title of "Shellback".

Luuraja
03-11-06, 04:04 PM
I'm jealous.
Last patrol (started 1 Apr 1941 from St. Nazaire) almost brought me to equator, I was ordered to patrol EK74, southwest of Dakar. IUB provided me a milkcow in Las Palmas - SS Corrientes

That was a really busy patrol. At first sonarman picked up lot of speedy screws near Vigo parallel. Tried to get closer - surfacing and then flank, submerging to listen.
After all this was a disappointment of all times - missed task force of two Revenge's and one Nelson. Just miscalculated some turns and lack of submarines speed decided it.

Dakar region was so busy that I lost all torps. I was lucky, zero missed, no dud and only two premature explosions.

Uhh I thought about getting to equator then, but after all did'nt find any practical reason. Headed back to north, refitted at Corrientes and then back home through Gibraltar's area.
Reached back St Nazaire at 19 May. Sank 18 ships, 69 000 tons.