PDA

View Full Version : for those who lobbied so urgently for milchcows

clive bradbury
03-09-06, 06:56 PM
Some historical stats for those who lobbied so urgently for milchcows in the game - as if it was critical to any sense of realism - and vital to any campaign:

4 Type XIVs built:

U487: 2 patrols - total boats refuelled = 21

U488: 3 patrols - total boats refuelled = 37

U489: 1 patrol - total boats refuelled = 0

U490 1 patrol - total boats refuelled = 0

SubSerpent
03-09-06, 08:50 PM
Some historical stats for those who lobbied so urgently for milchcows in the game - as if it was critical to any sense of realism - and vital to any campaign:

4 Type XIVs built:

U487: 2 patrols - total boats refuelled = 21

U488: 3 patrols - total boats refuelled = 37

U489: 1 patrol - total boats refuelled = 0

U490 1 patrol - total boats refuelled = 0

Yeah, but we wanted them for the 'OPTION' of them all. Plus the Dev team had originally told us that they were going to be in the game.

Torplexed
03-09-06, 08:56 PM
I thought it would be cool to command one. Considering how relentlessly the Allies hunted them down just staying alive would be a challenge.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
03-09-06, 09:08 PM
At somepoint you have to draw a line between the virtual world and reality.

Adding milk cows wouldn't have hurt the game's reality if they were included at it's release.

VonHelsching
03-10-06, 12:00 AM
Don't foget the VIIF s

These boats, designed in 1941, were primarily built as torpedo transports and were never fitted with the typical 88mm deck guns found on other VII type boats. They had 5 torpedo tubes (4 at the bow and 1 at the stern) and as attack boats they would carry 14 torpedoes but in their transport role they would have up to 39 torpedoes onboard.

Two of them, U-1062 and U-1059, were sent to support the Monsun boats in the far East waters. They were the largest and heaviest type VII boats built.

Also in numerous occasions u-boats were being refueled by both ships in neutral ports and other u-boats (mainly IX series).

Rubini has captured all refuelling action (except refuelling by non milch cow uboats in Harbour Traffic Mod (original milch cow mod by Sansal).

Stiebler
03-10-06, 06:57 AM
Clive Bradbury wrote:
Some historical stats for those who lobbied so urgently for milchcows in the game - as if it was critical to any sense of realism - and vital to any campaign

I'm afraid that you've overlooked:
1. Type XIV U-tankers U-459 to U-464.
2. Type XB U-minelayers, almost every one of which was used for refueling purposes (reasons too long to give here).
3. Type IXD2 and IXC boats pressed into duty as emergency refuellers when the custom-built tankers were sunk or 'sold-out' (out of spare fuel).

According to Doenitz, the U-tankers doubled the patrol times of the attack U-boats, and enabled them to reach distant waters that would otherwise be accessible only with difficulty. They had a major effect on the U-boat campaign between April 1942 and -roughly- April 1944. This was also understood by the Allies, who made them priority targets when a choice existed between U-boats to attack (eg at a refuelling rendezvous).

The milk cows really were as important as people keep saying. The 'blanket coverage' offered by U-suppliers in the Atlantic during 1942-1944 is carefully mimicked in the new Tonnage War mod. The next release will also feature an addition to reduce the refuelling time to just one day and to get rid of those irritating 'NULL' patrol grids.

Stiebler.

HEMISENT
03-10-06, 07:31 AM
I've been using Rubini's HT mod with Milch Cows since they became available. In all the various campaign missions I've played since their inception I've probably used them maybe 6-7 times. Just knowing they are there helps out a great deal and they have definately helped me make it back home-just like in real life. It's not an option to be abused because then it loses it's appeal. ...Sort of like an almost virgin.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-10-06, 08:34 AM
Another thing about milk cows in-game and mods that include them that I didn't see written here...

... If you don't like the idea of using them... all you need to do is NOT interact with them. ;)

Curval
03-10-06, 08:46 AM
Does a "milkcow" HAVE to be a sub? U-Boats were refueled and supplied by ship in far greater numbers than listed in the initial post. Isn't that really all we want/need in SH3?

Rosencrantz
03-10-06, 08:58 AM
Hemisent wrote: Just knowing they are there helps out a great deal

I haven't tried any milk cow mod yet, but I would like to try one. So, few questions:

- I think there is more than one mod availible? Y / N?
- Which one I should use with RUb?
- Refueling times, approximately?
- Torpedo reloads included or are you given just fuel?

-RC-

Schpeedy
03-10-06, 09:54 AM
I'd like to see milkcows, and ships that could fuel and torpedo supply us also. It's a shame that they weren't included.

Food could be a thing also.

Also wolf packs...

And why not 'voice command' too for that matter.

I still don't understand how newer games leave out the content that the older games had.
(but this isn't the thread to debate Command: Aces of the Deep)

I am very thankful for this game but still... would it have sooo much to add the stuff? :)

Montbrun
03-10-06, 10:10 AM
The IXD1s were also, eventually, converted to supply and mine boats....

Samwolf
03-10-06, 10:22 AM
Hemisent wrote: Just knowing they are there helps out a great deal

I haven't tried any milk cow mod yet, but I would like to try one. So, few questions:

-RC-

Yes, don't know them all though.

I've used the one included in Harbour Traffic 147

If you use SH3 Commander it takes 1 day.

Fuel and a "default" torpedo reload, you don't get to select your torpedo loadout.

Rosencrantz
03-11-06, 07:12 AM
Thanks Sam!

-RC-