PDA

View Full Version : Naval Historical photos - Battleship Cove Gallery added

timmyg00
03-05-06, 02:31 PM
LINK: Update to my Naval Historical Sites Photo Galleries at PBase (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49430)

TG

TLAM Strike
03-07-06, 01:53 PM
Slight change of subject. When you were on the K-77 what was on the port side of the control room?

timmyg00
03-07-06, 10:47 PM
Actually, the control room takes up only the starboard side of its deck level in that compartment (Compartment 4), and it comprises the diving, ballast, helm and chief-of-the-watch equivalent stations. Along the centerline is the Watch Officer station (Watch Officer = OOD)(as seen in the photo "Comp4_WatchOfficer.JPG", which looks aft from the forward end of the compartment). There is also a periscope in the aft port corner of the control room, slightly to port of centerline, just outside the Radar room.

Branching off into separate little rooms on the port side of Compartment 4 are the Missile Control room (although there is apparently a larger room containing missile control equipment in another section of the boat, it was off-limits to guests when I was there; there are pics on the official website at http://www.juliett484.org/juliett/juliettphotos.html ), the Radar Room, the ESM room, and perhaps one other space that I was not able to access. Also at the port forward end of compartment 4, but forward of the control room, is the navigation space, with nav gear and a chart table.

Some of the labeling of the rooms on the port side was, i believe, incorrect, due to a misinterpretation of equipment function. There was a room that I think was labeled Sonar Room that I am actually calling the Radar room, because of my familiarity with radar gear, and the fact that nothing that I would expect to be sonar equipment appeared in that room. Another room that actually was labeled Radar Room is actually an ESM Room; again, I base this on my familiarity with ESM gear. I think the sonar equipment was on a lower deck than the one the visitors were allowed on at the time.

Hopefully in the future, they'll open up more of this remarkable boat (or perhaps already have). There's a lot to see!

TG

TLAM Strike
03-07-06, 11:22 PM
Thanks. I was getting back to work on my Virtual Sailor Zulu and starting work on a Whiskey (V and Twin Cylinder) using the K-77 as a guide, I was wondering what to do with all the space on the port side- looking forward to cramming it full of neat electronics gear. :ping:

Thanks TG. :up: