PDA

View Full Version : New to me

blue3golf
02-16-06, 06:14 PM
I just saw the movie Torpedo Run filmed in 1958. I liked it even though the plot was amazingly average, the story was good and the sub footage was pretty good with plenty of it. It's one of those that I would advise renting before buying though, all depends on your taste in movies.

Torplexed
02-16-06, 08:41 PM
1958 must have been a good year for submarine movies. Run Silent, Run Deep was also released that year. :yep:

blue3golf
02-16-06, 09:53 PM
Yeah, and oddly enough the motive of both captains is revenge. Coincidence?

Torplexed
02-16-06, 10:20 PM
No coincidence I think. Revenge seems to be synonymous with submarine captains in literature and film. Look at the first sub commander of them all.....Captain Nemo! :arrgh!:

DAB
02-17-06, 09:20 AM
I've always liked Torpedo Run, even if the diologue makes you cringe on occasions. (Any Royal Officer introducing himself in a film like that deserves to be killed off)

I once read that the attack on the Aircraft Carrier at the beginning was in correct because the Captain could have set the torpedos so they ran under the civilian transport. But correct me if I am wrong, was there not a standing order for Torpedos to be set shallow because of malfunctions at the time.

Bill Nichols
02-17-06, 11:27 AM
1958 must have been a good year for submarine movies. Run Silent, Run Deep was also released that year. :yep:

1957 was a good year, too! One of my favorites:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com//images/section/movies/amg/dvd/cov150/drt300/t306/t30652prg8x.jpg

Hellcats of the Navy

PLOT DESCRIPTION
Future "first couple" Ronald Reagan and Nancy Davis made their only joint film appearance in Hellcats of the Navy. Ronnie plays Casey Abbott, commander of a WW2 submarine, while Nancy portrays navy nurse Helen Blair, Abbott's off-and-on girlfriend. During a delicate mission in which his sub is ordered to retrieve a revolutionary new Japanese mine, Abbott is forced to leave frogman Wes Barton (Harry Lauter) behind to save the rest of his crew. But Abbott's second-in-command Don Landon (Eduard Franz) is convincing that Abbott's sacrifice of Barton was due to the fact that the dead man had been amorously pursuing Helen. The rest of the film is spent proving Abbott right and Barton wrong. Based on a book by former USN vice-admiral Charles A. Lockwood (played in the film by Maurice Manson) and retired USAF colonel Hans Christian Adamson, Hellcats of the Navy is a much better film than Reagan's detractors would have one believe. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

blue3golf
02-17-06, 11:36 PM
I'm gonna have to check that one out Bill, never seen it. I don't know about those torpedo SOPs either DAB but if it was my family I think I might take the chance on a deeper setting. Oh well, I guess it still worked out. :damn: