PDA

View Full Version : Why is today such a lame day? Is it because it's the 13th?

SUBMAN1
02-13-06, 09:56 PM
Just venting a bit and pondering some thoughts - It seems I got buried today work wise. Everything from a million and one people asking for things to my mail store just going offline for no reason. So I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing my mail store and all those people still need answers so my workload will be 2x tomorrow.

Anyway, my point - Why the hell when you have mail server go offline (or something of that nature) does every person in the company give you a call (In the middle of fixing it of course) and wants to know A. "What happened?" and B. "How long till You will have it fixed?". Do these people realize that I probably can't answer either question, or at least not reliably? Do they realize that they are taking up my time from actually getting it fixed? Crap - the first part to fixing it is to figure out what the hell went wrong in the first place! So Option A is out. As for option B. - Until I know Option A, how the hell can I give them a time for Option B???

Next thought - Even when I figure out option A, I still have to devise a plan as to the least risk to company data, recovery of that data, and integrety of the data for future reliability and how to make it all work, so I still can't tell them a damn thing towards Option B.

My first thoughts when I see something like this is - This could take 5 minutes, or it could be all night - or anything in between! That is what goes through my head when I see a problem such as this - it just depends on if everything is FUBAR or not, and if not, how bad is it?

Anyway, there is my rant for the night. Basically people should just figure out the damn server is offline and leave me the hell alone! :) Of course, I can't resist telling them that it will probably take till the weekend or something, which really sends them into a tizzy!! Until i cave in of course! :)

-S

SUBMAN1
02-13-06, 09:58 PM
One other thought - there are just some people in this world who should just never even touch a computer - I am conviced of it! You can tell them the same thing 3 different ways, and they still don't know how to work a mouse, let alone the thought of them trying to put paper into a printer! That thought makes me cringe!

OK, enough ranting.

-S

August
02-13-06, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Subman.

My day on the other hand was just grand. A big snowstorm over the weekend closed the school i teach at giving me the day off.

SUBMAN1
02-13-06, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Subman.

My day on the other hand was just grand. A big snowstorm over the weekend closed the school i teach at giving me the day off.

Thanks. At least one of us had a good day!

-S

Torplexed
02-13-06, 10:51 PM
Must be nice to catch the occasional snowstorm. Seattle has the wimpest weather.

sonar732
02-13-06, 11:24 PM
Play a trick on the people with mouse problems and remote in and configure their mouse with left handed specs. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I understand completely as I've worked in tech support myself for 5 years now. What's the possibility of becoming a remote Help Desk Analysts for you? :yep: :ping:

EDIT: Resume available upon request. :rotfl: :rotfl:

SUBMAN1
02-14-06, 11:24 AM
Play a trick on the people with mouse problems and remote in and configure their mouse with left handed specs. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I understand completely as I've worked in tech support myself for 5 years now. What's the possibility of becoming a remote Help Desk Analysts for you? :yep: :ping:

EDIT: Resume available upon request. :rotfl: :rotfl:

You know - that is one trick I have not played on someone yet - and its a damn good idea! Thanks for the tip.

On the job front - I'll let you know when I am leaving and you can take my post! :) I'm thinking about heading to AZ to get my share of sun!!!!

-S

SUBMAN1
02-14-06, 11:26 AM
Must be nice to catch the occasional snowstorm. Seattle has the wimpest weather.

I'm from the Eastside, but I work up North - and there is plenty of the white stuff up here today.

-S

PS. A picture from up north that I took about 1 hr ago. Strange thing is, the Eastside has nothing on the ground at all! I didn't even know it snowed till about the end of I-405!:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7919/snow9pe.jpg

SUBMAN1
02-14-06, 01:10 PM
Just messed with the first person for left handed mouse!

Waiting for the fallout!

-S

TteFAboB
02-14-06, 03:26 PM
Good work sonar, now it is only a matter of time untill SUBMAN gets sacked and you can take his job.

SUBMAN1
02-14-06, 03:44 PM
Good work sonar, now it is only a matter of time untill SUBMAN gets sacked and you can take his job.

:o