PDA

View Full Version : The Front Desk Lost My Tonnage!

mrmertz
02-09-06, 08:39 PM
Greetings All!

Running latest patch to SH III with Real U-Boat 1.45 and SH3 Commander installed over all of that. Since Kiel is out of reach many times due to fuel considerations after my patrol, it's not uncommon for me to swing into Wilhelmshaven to top off, re-arm, etc. then go scout about a while then head back to my home port of Kiel. However, this last cruise costs me some tonnage on a medium freighter I sunk. Upon returning to Kiel I noticed my log didn't register the ship (after opening SH III the next day to continue my cruise).

Soooooo...to be absolutely sure all tonnage, etc. is saved after I pull into ANY port, what's the recommended proceedure? I always pull up to the dock, hit "Exit Patrol" then in the lower right "Dock at blah blah blah". Then exit SH III completely if done OR if I'm going to keep playing stay within SH III nav to the Career On-Base screen, hit the "Mission" map again and go back out. I guess the problem is occurring when I exit SH III completely. Should I hit "Save" instead? Do what I am doing but hit "Save" and back out completely and re-open with SH3 Commander each time? I dunno.

Sorry I'm so ignorant. In real life I'm a janitor.

Sincerely,
Jeff

Dantenoc
02-10-06, 01:46 AM
I've had similar experiences... don't know if it's because of the mods or if it's a bug with the game or what... never could figure it out.

The only advice I can give you is this: Save your game JUST BEFORE you dock in port, just in case SHIII goes bananas on you. If the program missbehaves, load the game again (using the before dock in port saved game) and dock again. That worked for me last time it happened... Also the game crashing isn't totaly unheard of, so get into the habbit of saving the game somewhat often during your patrols (maybe after every ship sunk?) that way you have plenty of back up points in time to fall back to. ONE STRONG WARNING though, don't load a past saved game unless your willing to renounce to your current game, because loading a past saved game will ERASE all other saved games that where saved AFTER the one your loading.

As to the fact that your a janitor... well, I find it very apropiate indeed :up:. I've seen old WWII fotos were U-boats would proudly display a BROOM when returning to home port after a particularly succesfull patrol, to indicate that they had made "a clean sweep" of the ocean (i.e.: sweeped the ocean clean from tommie dirt) :smug:

AlanSmithee
02-10-06, 12:56 PM
When did you sink the missing freighter, before or after docking at Wilhelmshaven? Any time you dock at a port, SH3 believes that you've started a new patrol. So, what seems like one extended patrol (Kiel to Wilhelmshaven back to Kiel) is actually two patrols according to SH3's accounting. If you sank the ship on the Kiel to Wilhelmshaven leg, you might want to check and see if SH3 applied your missing tonnage here.

On the other hand, it's possible BdU just isn't very good at it's arithmatic. :rotfl:

mrmertz
02-10-06, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys!

I sank the frieghter on the leg previous to docking at Wilhemshaven, that's when I lost it. I guess I'll just really have to watched my fuel and wrap everything up in one session (or patrol). Bummer. Dantenoc - I think I'll save my patrol just before docking - just to be safe.

I'm going to "dig" into this a little further as it seems I read somewheres about this very situation before. If I find out anything further, I'll let ya know!

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff