PDA

View Full Version : A couple of gramaphone questions

jasondef
02-08-06, 06:42 AM
Recently started playing, I wanted to start out playing the game a while without any mods, now I'm ready to add some, and the first thing that needs improvement is the gramaphone, I think. I never could get it to play anything when I fiddled with the "play" and the other couple of buttons in the game. Is this how its supposed to be? In the "gramaphone" data folder, the game comes with an MP3 file in it, so does this file called "Gramaphone1.mp3" just do nothing, or am I doing something wrong in the game?

How does the gramaphone folder work once I get more files in it? When you press the "previous melody" and "skip to next melody" buttons in the game, does it just go right down the list of songs in your gramaphone folder in the order that they are arranged, or does it randomize what's in your gramaphone folder, or something different than that?

I remember seeing a post a while back about a gramaphone mod that would periodically give war news updates over the radio. I'm also trying to find a Das Boot pack that includes the Tipperay song and that captain's favorite song of the french woman singing, I'm assuming someone's made a mod for that. Any help in finding them? And in packs like that, will it have individual files for the Tipperary song and another one for the french lady singing song, or is it just one file for the whole banana? How does that work, I wonder?

It sounds like fun using the gramaphone all the time, for example Enigma's continuous Das Boot loop theme music, but will that make you more noticeable to Destroyers that are listening for you? Or will it help "disguise" you from them, as one third party game manual http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/silent_hunter_3.txt suggests: "Play music on your gramophone; useful for disguising your submarine sounds as radio waves." Is this true? Will it expose you to DD's, or hide you from them?

I'm a huge Das Boot fan, and I will often play the "Das Boot" DVD in the background while I'm playing SH3, just to add to the atmosphere. Pretty geeky, I know. But I'm hoping some downloaded gramaphone mods will help add that same kind of atmosphere. (The original full length "Das Boot" is the only way to go, NOT the director's cut by the way!)

I just downloaded the "Das Boot Theme Musicpack.rar" file from the "U-Boot.Realsimulation.com" mod site. Do I just drop it into the gramaphone folder, or do I need to convert it into MP3 format? If so, what's the easiest way to do that?

And how about a gramaphone mod that emulates whale sounds, to fool destroyers into thinking that you're just a whale, like Harland Williams' character in the submarine parody movie "Down Periscope"? :-j

I guess I need a good intro to gramaphone lesson. Thanks for the help!

The Avon Lady
02-08-06, 08:03 AM
The developers recommend that you only play OGG files in the gramophone and not MP3s.

This is because of numerous problems previously reported by many players of skipped or shortened playback of MP3 files.

Previous and next buttons just go through the files in your Gramophone folder. Nothing special.

Enemy AI do NOT hear you playing the gramophone. I is solely for your entertainment. You may keep on using it while in silent running.

There are a number of tools that convert from one audio format to another. I use dBpowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/).

The SH3 Commander program lets you enable gramophone files by date.

Personally, I haven't used the gramophone in ages.

jasondef
02-09-06, 01:58 AM
Any idea if anyone's made a mod with the song in Das Boot that has the lady singing in french?

Cheapskate
02-09-06, 07:12 AM
Any idea if anyone's made a mod with the song in Das Boot that has the lady singing in french?

It's called " J'Attendrai "

Part of SH3 GramaphoneTipperary Sound Pack - See Subsim Review main page - downloads.

Uber Gruber
02-10-06, 12:24 PM
And that french lady is Edith Piaf.....sniff....oh Edith honey, when will you ever return...sniff :(

Sailor Steve
02-10-06, 01:18 PM
And that french lady is Edith Piaf.....sniff....oh Edith honey, when will you ever return...sniff :(

:yep:
Better look again. 'Jatrendai' was sung by Rina Ketty.

Interesting note: in the big 'German Hits of the '30s' pack there's a German version sung by a guy. I heard it on my gramaphone but so far haven't been able to find it among the hundred or so songs in that pack, as the name in German is different.

My favorite in that pack is 'Wochenend und Sonnenscheine', or 'Weekend and Sunshine', which is a four-part-harmony vocal version of 'Happy Days Are Here Again'.