PDA

View Full Version : This forum is going down hill so… POLL!!

TLAM Strike
02-01-06, 11:34 PM
Since Letum really dragged this forum in to the gutter with an image of one of the most famous physicists in history with a crew cut and a drawing of a pen1s I felt I should bring this forum back up to the high honored place it belongs, so best Guided Missile Submarine of all time?

Note: I discounted the Trafalgar and Collins since they are attack submarines, I don't care that they have an extra 'G' slaped on. If I counted them I would have had to include every submarine armed with an ASM!

JSLTIGER
02-01-06, 11:48 PM
I don't think there's even a question about this. None of the others has the stealth of the Ohios', nor can they match the whopping 154 missiles that it carries.

Letum
02-01-06, 11:56 PM
Since Letum really dragged this forum in to the gutter with an image of one of the most famous physicists in history with a crew cut and a drawing of a pen1s

:nope:
DEFINE "DOWNHILL"!

http://www.sayagain.co.uk/b3tapix/images/Cocage.jpg :stare:

Bort
02-02-06, 12:06 AM
I vote Papa, and here's why. The Ohio is the most powerful SSGN of all time but it has a problem, it is very uncool and unexciting. The Papa meanwhile, is the GTO of SSGN's. It has a titanium hull, a liquid metal reactor, 10 SS-N-9's and once roared along at 44.7 knots. It was one of a kind, which is unfortunate for the Russians because I think a large class would have scared the s#^% out of NATO. :o

SUBMAN1
02-02-06, 12:22 AM
i vote for the most boring poll of all time award!!!

I mean, come on, the Trident is the only friggen answer unless you have some sort of fetish for another sub of some less capability. 154 Tamahawks? and 60 some odd Seals on board? How do you compete with that?

Maybe someone likes some unknown midget sub that has a ancient cruise missile onboard and does something completely unspectacular? :)

-S

SUBMAN1
02-02-06, 12:23 AM
By the way, TLAM gets my most uninspiring dumb ass poll of the year award so far! No offense TLAM since I will probably do something equally boring and dumb ass before the year is out! :88)

-S

TLAM Strike
02-02-06, 01:05 AM
i vote for the most boring poll of all time award!!!

I mean, come on, the Trident is the only friggen answer unless you have some sort of fetish for another sub of some less capability. 154 Tamahawks? and 60 some odd Seals on board? How do you compete with that?

Maybe someone likes some unknown midget sub that has a ancient cruise missile onboard and does something completely unspectacular? :)

-S I guess you are unfamiliar with the USS Grayback? Grayback had space for 67 embarked troops, SEAL Swimmer Delivery Vehicles (SDVs), and a decompression chamber. In her SSGN role she probably had more overall firepower than the Ohio SSGN with her four Regulus I (or two Regulus II) missiles, the I had a yield of 40 - 50 kt while the II had a yield of about 1 Mt and a speed of Mach 2! Unfortunately the Regulus Assault Mission concept never went anywhere otherwise she might have had the worlds first submarine launched UAV. This boat was built in 1957, ran on diesel engines and over the course of its life could have conducted basically every mission the Ohio SSGN could do.

(Oh I forgot to mention the Regulus could land. Beat that Tomahawk!!)

Plus I think watching the Cusk launch one of its Loon missiles is a more nail biting and amazing experince than any launch from an Ohio SSGN. Where else are you going to see a Buzz Bomb fly off the back of a fleet sub, have a wing break off, go in to a barrel roll for miles before crashing in to the ocean, thats assuming the missile just dosn't explode on the launcher (which happend once)! The sailors back then had some guts to ride on that boat.

Kapitan
02-02-06, 02:42 AM
acctualy a recent modded yankee (design only never built) could have carried up to 120 SS-N-27 missiles, the design has been past over to malakhit which thinks the Delta IV would make a excellent platfor for a cruise missile submarine, capible of housing 300 missiles ( two per tube) however financing and what not has ended the project and a newer generation SSGN was designed instead.

BTW this was 1988

Sea Demon
02-02-06, 03:23 AM
Gentlemen. I'm sorry but nothing can beat Ohio SSGN now that it's reached the operational milestone. With her 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles, robust Special Operations capabilities, advanced surveillance equipment, and almost unmatched quietness in the water, and she retains her ASW and ASuW capabilities.

No SSGN in service can touch Ohio SSGN.

joea
02-02-06, 04:07 AM
Ohiiiiiio for teh win!1111

Letum
02-02-06, 04:24 AM
OMG!!!111Triiiiident for win!!!!!111111oneoneoneoneeleveneleveneleven

STEED
02-02-06, 04:47 AM
Wake me up when it's all over :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Letum
02-02-06, 04:53 AM
Wake me up when it's all over :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
it was over when it started

Kapitan
02-02-06, 08:05 AM
OHIO definatly the best SSGN ever created bit boring on the outside but what matters is the inside :up:

sonar732
02-02-06, 09:09 AM
Call me bias... ;)

To add to this discussion is the talk that the DoD is planning on taking the nuclear warheads off some more boats and placing conventionals on the Trident missile...maybe the next set of 4...SSBN 732 would be on the list. Could you imagine that? A ballistic missile trajectory with conventional weapons! I'd hate to be the land lover going thru a flight of those.