PDA

View Full Version : Does Destroyer use starshells ?

Michal S
01-30-06, 10:28 AM
Hi, i've got simple question. Does anybody of you ever seen Destroyers using (shooting) starshells during night attack when they're trying to find / kill you ? I saw only spot lights but nothing more :-(

Sorry for bad english :-)

Sturm
01-30-06, 10:55 AM
Yes. Many times.

What A?
01-30-06, 11:11 AM
Yes they do but not very often. Btw Does anyone know how to edit the range before it begin to burn and maby how long it should burn? Thanks in advance.

Kalach
01-30-06, 06:49 PM
They do, but not very often.
If you want to make your night attacks more interesting you should grab CCIPs little 'leigh light/spotlight mod', it adds spotlights to most merchants and larger aircraft :) .

STEED
01-31-06, 08:58 AM
That's a big yes on one patrol a star shell burst open right over me lit me up like a Christmas tree :huh: granted that was a one off :88)

STEED
02-01-06, 06:26 PM
OK everyone I was told by one of my mates on one of his patrols his watch crew was killed by one yes a direct hit :dead:

I wonder :-? Has this happen to anyone here :stare:

Highbury
02-01-06, 06:28 PM
OK everyone I was told by one of my mates on one of his patrols his watch crew was killed by one yes a direct hit :dead:

A starshell impacting a ship would not be rcognizeable as a starshell. They do not give off the light after in this game. Try hitting a merchant with one. I don't doubt he took a direct hit in the tower, but there would be no way to tell if it was SS, HE, or AP.

Also.... crew on deck in destroyer gun range????!!!!???? :o

STEED
02-01-06, 06:50 PM

A starshell impacting a ship would not be rcognizeable as a starshell. They do not give off the light after in this game. Try hitting a merchant with one. I don't doubt he took a direct hit in the tower, but there would be no way to tell if it was SS, HE, or AP.

Good point I shall ask him :yep:

VON_CAPO
02-01-06, 08:43 PM
Hi, i've got simple question. Does anybody of you ever seen Destroyers using (shooting) starshells during night attack when they're trying to find / kill you ? I saw only spot lights but nothing more :-(

Sorry for bad english :-)
Try the mission "Gibraltar", you are going to see a lot of starshells.
:yep: :yep: :yep:

THE_MASK
02-01-06, 11:25 PM
Just went to scapa in sept 39 in a VII . Never again .
Star shells were the least of my worries

STEED
02-02-06, 04:40 AM

Good point I shall ask him :yep:

OK I got an answer from my mate he thinks it was a starshell but not sure :doh: I think he needs a break :lost:

DMarkwick
02-02-06, 09:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/DMarkwick/SH3_Patrol.jpg

John O
02-02-06, 10:30 AM
Yes. If you want to test them, try pinging for depth while a DD is close by. I foolishly did this on an early patrol and was instantly lit up by a DD's starshell. Pretty cool unless it was real life.

Ping Jockey
02-02-06, 08:27 PM
I see them once and awhile :up:

Einzelganger
02-06-06, 11:25 PM
I'm running with IUB and in a new career i'm now in 1940 during the Norwegian landings. I moved in on a task force report in AF83 and found 3 Tribal DDs, 1 Fiji light cruiser and 3 troop transport.

I hit the 2 static Tribals first, sinking the first rather quickly by a shot in the ammo magazine. The second started to get underway but got hit in the bow.

As it was going down by the head this Tribal fired 4 starshells and lit up the immediate area over the troop transports in something which seemd like a sort of panic

Took a good screenshot showing three of the starshells together.