PDA

View Full Version : You are using voice commands? Come in, please.

Rosencrantz
01-17-06, 05:47 PM
I'm interested in voice command mod. Have you found any problems to use it? And there is still just the english version, right?

-RC-

panthercules
01-17-06, 10:21 PM
I'm interested in voice command mod. Have you found any problems to use it? And there is still just the english version, right?

-RC-

I'm not sure about a voice command "mod", so this response may be way off target. However, I am using Shoot (version 1.6.4) to let me give my commands to my crew by voice, and I created a shortened, German-language command template for maximum immersion. I just did the kinds of essential commands you would actually give to your crew - not all the ones to interact with the UI (like moving from bridge to sound room, which I still just use the mouse for), which keeps the list of things I have to remember how to say down to a manageable minimum.

Works great, and lots of fun, though I have to stop using it when I play late at night 'cause the rest of the family gets kinda freaked listening to me shout out my orders in German after the kids' bedtime :D

Aqualung
01-18-06, 02:09 PM
I also use the Shoot voice command downloads available from the subsim download page. Very immersive and no real problems, although on one occasion I inadvertantly gave the command to crash dive in 20m of water by coughing when I had the 'press to talk' button active :o

aqualung

Rosencrantz
01-18-06, 05:59 PM
Thanks, both of you! I think I was talking about Shoot, just didn't know it's not a "mod"... :roll: So, I could use german with it... hmm... :hmm:

-RC-

panthercules
01-19-06, 11:51 PM
Thanks, both of you! I think I was talking about Shoot, just didn't know it's not a "mod"... :roll: So, I could use german with it... hmm... :hmm:

-RC-

Yeah - you'll just have to make a lot of additions to the custom dictionary so it will recognize the German words - it's easy to do once you get the hang of it. The program is just recognizing the sound you make and correlating it to the keystroke/action you tell it to render when it hears that sound - it doesn't really know or care what language you are speaking in but its default dictionary only has English words so you do have to give it the German words you want to say and put them in the custom dictionary so it recognizes your words. Good luck - it's great fun shouting at these boys in true Kaleun-style :)

If you want I can probably dig up my short-version German profile/template to give you an idea of how to get started.

Aqualung
01-21-06, 09:10 AM
In fact, here is a link to a much older post where panthercules did in fact provide us with a German template for 'shoot' :D

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29632&highlight=

knew I'd remembered seeing it somewhere - and to think, they say at my age memory is the first thing to....er....what was I saying?
;)

Rosencrantz
01-21-06, 03:35 PM
Hey, thanks again, both of you! :D

I'll have to try it (voice command) out!

panthercules
01-23-06, 12:14 AM
In fact, here is a link to a much older post where panthercules did in fact provide us with a German template for 'shoot' :D

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29632&highlight=

knew I'd remembered seeing it somewhere - and to think, they say at my age memory is the first thing to....er....what was I saying?
;)

Hey, Aqualung (always wanted to say that, ever since seeing Jethro Tull live in Edinburgh 30 years ago :)

Anyway - thanks for the link to that thread - I was looking for it myself the other day but had lost track of it somehow.

Good luck and good hunting!

Archive1
10-17-06, 10:34 PM
Have installed Shoot, but have a massive delay between issuing a command and its execution. Didn't seem to have any problem with installation. What's wrong?

_Seth_
10-17-06, 11:44 PM
So, when using Shoot, i could actually shout "BERNAAAAARD, YOU STUPID N00B" to crash dive?:D

panthercules
10-18-06, 12:57 AM
Have installed Shoot, but have a massive delay between issuing a command and its execution. Didn't seem to have any problem with installation. What's wrong?

Not sure, but maybe you need to train it some more - it's been a while since I've messed with my Shoot settings since I don't play much except late at night these days and I can't use my voice commands as much as I used to, but IIRC I had some problems at first too, and almost gave up on the whole thing 'cause I was having trouble getting it to recognize my commands (long lag times while it tried to figure out what I had said, and lots of just wrong results), but I think that doing some extra training was what did the trick and got it working real well for me (check on menu bar under "Speech/Recognizer/Training" or something like that) - I think I talked about it in that old thread, but when I tried the link from the posts above it couldn't find the thread any more.

So, when using Shoot, i could actually shout "BERNAAAAARD, YOU STUPID N00B" to crash dive?:D

Yeah, you can shout that or anything you want (even "BERNAAAAARD, SIE DUMMER NOOB", if you play in German :D ) - just a matter of tweaking your Shoot profile and custom dictionary appropriately :yep:

_Seth_
10-18-06, 01:09 AM
Cool! I will try this, you bet! :up:

Payoff
10-18-06, 09:31 AM
Another nice feature, is you can link several commands together. When I say "Emergency Surface"
The chief
1. blows ballast
2. surfaces the boat
3. goes to flank speed
4. blows ballast again ...etc.
You can animate the Internal Free Cam also.

Archive1
10-18-06, 10:42 AM
[Not sure, but maybe you need to train it some more - it's been a while since I've messed with my Shoot settings since I don't play much except late at night these days and I can't use my voice commands as much as I used to, but IIRC I had some problems at first too, and almost gave up on the whole thing 'cause I was having trouble getting it to recognize my commands (long lag times while it tried to figure out what I had said, and lots of just wrong results), but I think that doing some extra training was what did the trick and got it working real well for me (check on menu bar under "Speech/Recognizer/Training" or something like that) - I think I talked about it in that old thread, but when I tried the link from the posts above it couldn't find the thread any more.-panthercules]

Thanks for the reply, but I did extensive speech training with Shoot itself, and with the MS Speech Recognition set up. The Plantronics mike is working well too. Will go back to Shoot and see what's what. Would be nice to communicate with the guy who developed it, but can't seem to find his upload into the forum...where I got Shoot the first place.
Archive1