PDA

View Full Version : LA Class Sub Vents Steam From Aft End Of Sail...

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
01-15-06, 02:47 PM
... i've seen this on more than one occasion.

can anyone tell me what is this... is it a normal procedure for venting something or what...

thx

--Mike

TLAM Strike
01-15-06, 03:40 PM
I know diesels sometimes have the main induction there so maybe the SSN is running its diesel backup when in port for electricity?

01-15-06, 03:44 PM
what i saw was a big cloud of what looked like steam venting from the aft end, top, side of the sail...

there are a few vents there (at least they look like vents of some sort), and i was wondering what that was...

--Mike

TLAM Strike
01-15-06, 03:51 PM
That’s where the snorkel is located, they don’t need to deploy it fully to use it, they can just poke the top part of the mast out of the casing. I know one story about a harbor pilot who saw diesel smoke coming out of the snorkel mast and he assumed it was how they get rid of the steam from the nuclear reactor.

Bill Nichols
01-15-06, 06:07 PM
That’s where the snorkel is located, they don’t need to deploy it fully to use it, they can just poke the top part of the mast out of the casing. I know one story about a harbor pilot who saw diesel smoke coming out of the snorkel mast and he assumed it was how they get rid of the steam from the nuclear reactor.

Yes, and one time we were using our diesels to help charge the battery while alongside the pier (shore power wasn't enough). Our old diesels made lots of black smoke when they were fully loaded. The squadron watch officer called us up and asked if we needed any help with our fire :lol:

Kapitan
01-15-06, 06:11 PM
:rotfl: :lurk: :lost:

nice

Bill Nichols
01-15-06, 07:57 PM
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_060104-N-0000M-001.jpg

Puget Sound, Wash. (Jan. 4, 2006) - The Ohio-class nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine USS Alabama (SSBN-731) is being moved "dead-stick" in the sound by a flotilla of tug boats with Mount Rainer in background. U.S. Navy photographed by Mr. Anthony Madina

sonar732
01-15-06, 10:33 PM
Beautiful shot there Bill! I always loved the scenery in the Bremerton/Bangor area.

01-16-06, 08:49 AM
yeah... that's great scenery to send you off on a cruise... leave it to Bill to come up with the great shots... thx...

that's exactly what i was referring to... that venting... what is that?

--Mike

lesrae
01-16-06, 09:08 AM
It's the diesel exhaust, mixed with water for various reasons - that's why it doesn't look like a car's exhaust.

Takeda Shingen
01-16-06, 10:36 AM
I remember Frank Kulick telling me that they had to run the diesels about every week or so just to make sure they were operating properly. I believe he was refering to the Improved 688s.

DangerousDaze
01-16-06, 05:47 PM
The problem comes when the wind blows it over the snorkel which fills the boat with smoke. ;)

Bill Nichols
01-16-06, 06:00 PM

Puget Sound, Wash. (Jan. 4, 2006) - The Ohio-class nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine USS Alabama (SSBN-731) is being moved "dead-stick" in the sound by a flotilla of tug boats with Mount Rainer in background. U.S. Navy photographed by Mr. Anthony Madina

Here's a link to a hi-res version of the above photo:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/060104-N-0000M-001.jpg

Bill Nichols
01-16-06, 06:01 PM
I remember Frank Kulick telling me that they had to run the diesels about every week or so just to make sure they were operating properly. I believe he was refering to the Improved 688s.

It's SOP for all nuke boats. The diesels are there for emergency use, you want to be sure they'll run when you need 'em :yep:

01-17-06, 08:04 AM
thx guys for all the info and insights... and the great pic...

--Mike

SmokinTep
01-17-06, 02:12 PM
Snorkel Juice..............been sprayed/douched with that stuff many a time. Bummer trying to get to the weapons shipping hatch when the brow is aft of the sail.

Also there is a tube about 1/2 way down the aft end of the sail where they vent hydrogen from the oxygen generator.

Heading to Bangor next month with my crew to do a visit on the Jimmy Carter.

DangerousDaze
01-17-06, 03:24 PM
Also there is a tube about 1/2 way down the aft end of the sail where they vent hydrogen from the oxygen generator.
I thought that hydrogen from "the bomb" was expelled disolved in auxilliary seawater on the Los Angeles class? Hey, I've never been within a thousand mles of one though (knowingly ;)).

Nick

Bill Nichols
01-17-06, 03:31 PM
And, my boat didn't have an O2 generator :cry:

SmokinTep
01-18-06, 06:24 AM
I thought that hydrogen from "the bomb" was expelled disolved in auxilliary seawater on the Los Angeles class? Hey, I've never been within a thousand mles of one though (knowingly ;)).

Nick

Actually there is a diffuser that creates bubbles when under water. When we optest it in port, we have to run tubing from the vent to the water.

DangerousDaze
01-19-06, 05:46 PM
Ah, I can see how I misunderstood that now. I wasn't a million miles away. Thanks.

Nick

SUBMAN1
01-19-06, 06:10 PM
Beautiful shot there Bill! I always loved the scenery in the Bremerton/Bangor area.

yeah... that's great scenery to send you off on a cruise... leave it to Bill to come up with the great shots... thx...

that's exactly what i was referring to... that venting... what is that?

--Mike

Yeah - may look nice once in a while but we almost broke the record for 33 days of straight rain lately. What color is the sky again? :hmm:

-S

Docjonel
01-19-06, 10:09 PM
Heading to Bangor next month with my crew to do a visit on the Jimmy Carter.

Smokin, Here's a photo I took of the Jimmy Carter heading out from SubBase New London on its way out west last year. I believe that the hull section visible in the background at EB belongs to the USS Hawaii, SSN-776, with, of course, the Barque Eagle in the foreground. Photo taken April 19, 2005.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4958/crw20547np.th.jpg (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crw20547np.jpg)

SmokinTep
01-20-06, 06:15 AM
Nice shot of her.

Neptunus Rex
01-20-06, 10:39 AM
The "steam" comes from the diesel outboard exhaust valve spray ring. This thing sprays sea water onto the outboard exhaust valve seats to keep them from pitting or warping from the exhaust gas heat.

The hydrogen comes out aft, defused through an aux sea water discharge. The CO2 from the scrubbers also comes out there as well.

Neptunus Rex
01-20-06, 10:50 AM

Judging from the low waterline, this puppy looks like she's heading for a drydocking.

SUBMAN1
01-20-06, 11:09 AM
Doubt it - that is not a low waterline! :) It is just the tip of the iceberg.

You must remember that the boat is 86 foot high from keel to mast.

-S

Neptunus Rex
01-20-06, 11:40 AM
I would think that the normal waterline laps at the lower edge of the missle tube free-flood structure. The boat does seem higher than normal. :hmm:

And don't talk to me as if I was a nub non-qual! :hulk:

SUBMAN1
01-20-06, 12:19 PM
OK Nub! Just kidding, but I couldn't resist! :)

Nah - I see these things go past every now and then on their way out of Puget Sound, and I have also toured them a few times - and the height you see is normal. They never get lower than that.

-S

SUBMAN1
01-20-06, 12:21 PM
Scratch that last statement! I should re-word that to say they never get lower than that in Puget Sound!!!:lol:

-S