PDA

View Full Version : What Was Yohan's Crew Position Title?

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
01-15-06, 02:39 PM
in Das Boot... what was his crew position... besides, 'the Phantom'...
what did they call the machine room crewmen...

thx

--Mike

gdogghenrikson
01-15-06, 02:43 PM
chief mechanic....I think

Torplexed
01-15-06, 02:57 PM
Yep! Chief mechanic in the book too. The proper German spelling of his name is Johann.

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
01-15-06, 03:02 PM
chief mechanic... ok, got it... :up:
that was an enlisted crew position, right?

Johann... i knew i had it wrong :lol:

thx guys...

--Mike

Torplexed
01-15-06, 03:05 PM
That's okay. For years I thought the proper Spanish spelling of Jesus was the way it sounded: Hay-sus! :lol:

Punisher_sa
01-15-06, 03:16 PM
Havent even seen the movie :cry: been trying to find it but no luck...

zombiewolf
01-15-06, 03:32 PM
I got the Directers cut for Christmas.I am no longer a Das Boote Virgin.
I have Enjoyed it serveral times since.
Some confusion tho?
did they make it thru Gibralta? Did they just turn around?
The sound is just fantastic

Torplexed
01-15-06, 03:35 PM
They turned back from Gibraltar and went back to their starting base of La Rochelle in France. Just as the U-96 on which the book and movie is based did in real life.

Marhkimov
01-15-06, 03:39 PM
Best Buys should have a lot of copies of Das Boot.
Just the other day, I went and bought the director's cut (2 dvd Superbit edition) for only $10 US dollars. It was a bargain!

Great movie too! :up: Very sad ending.

Torplexed
01-15-06, 03:47 PM
Punisher is in South Africa. Don't know if they have a Best Buy. ;) There is always the Internet.

Marhkimov
01-15-06, 03:49 PM
LOL, I didn't notice that.... Ooopsies....

Damn Best Buys and their un-globalization tactics! :P :lol:

CaptainEO
01-15-06, 07:39 PM
They just released the full miniseries on DVD (6 hours I think)... Going to get it even though I have the Director's Cut :)

(and I've read the book... I highly recommend it if you are a fan of the film!)

Kaptan Tommy
01-15-06, 08:47 PM
I found a copy of the 2 DVD set at Border's Books. It's gonna take me a day off to come up with 6+ hours of uninterrupted watch time. And that doesn't include the 'extra' stuff on the disks.

I stuck it in my computer when I first got it home just to see if I could find something I hadn't seen in the VHS director's cut I already watched. Yup! Some guy dressed up like some slinky babe in next-to-nothing dancing around in some part of the boat, obviously during some slack time. Can't wait to park in front of the tube with a bowl of popcorn and a few beers handy... :up:

zombiewolf
01-15-06, 09:03 PM
yeah that scene was trippy, was that the kid who frst shows up with the "little friends"?
They were rockin out till the mate comes into the "whorehouse" and tells them of the unfortunate football results :|\

oop hijackin the thread sorry

Salvadoreno
01-16-06, 02:53 AM
they turned back and went to La ROchelle?!? Wut?1 I thought they made it thru GIBRALTER to La SPezia!!

gdogghenrikson
01-16-06, 02:57 AM
they turned back and went to La ROchelle?!? Wut?1 I thought they made it thru GIBRALTER to La SPezia!!

I thought they abondon the idea and turned to La Rachelle

Kaptan Tommy
01-16-06, 07:27 AM
And I thought that's where they almost got sunk and spent all those hours sitting on that "tiny spit of sand" on the bottom while they patched the boat up at a zillion meters depth.

I gotta watch this movie again - SOON! :yep:

Deimos01
01-16-06, 07:36 AM
On a related note. I was watching the movie Underworld the other day. You know the one were the vampires and werewolves are at war. I could swear the the guy that plays the creapy werewolf doctor is Johann. I didnt see the credits. Can anyone confirm this?

Gizzmoe
01-16-06, 10:07 AM
On a related note. I was watching the movie Underworld the other day. You know the one were the vampires and werewolves are at war. I could swear the the guy that plays the creapy werewolf doctor is Johann. I didnt see the credits. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, he played "Singe".

This is Erwin LederĀ“s home page, it has a nice photo gallery:
http://www.erwin-leder.com/index2.html

Curval
01-16-06, 12:13 PM

They never made it to La Spezia.

The Boat was on its way back to La Rochelle when they received the order to attempt passage through the Straits of Gibralter to get to La Spezia.

First they had to rearm and refuel. This they did at Vigo...in Spain...from an interned German supply ship.

When they tried to get through the Straits they were sighted by an allied fighter...Krigsbaum (sp? the navigator) was wounded after they were staffed. The straffing damaged the dive planes which locked in the down position and they hit a sandy outcropping and came to rest on it at the bottom of the Straights. They mangaged to re-float the boat and then returned to La Rochelle where they were staffed and bombed...resulting in the loss of the boat, its captian and many of the crew.

joerd9
01-17-06, 05:41 AM
Hello Forum

Thats not quite correct. "Der Alte" didn't die in this airraid, he was only severely wounded (though in the movie it looks like he died).
Buchheim wrote another book about his adventures in late-WW2-France called "Die Festung" (The fortress). Don't know if its available in english, but worth reading:
Lehmann-Willenbrock became base commander of one of the Uboat-bases (St. Nazaire?) until it was captured by the americans. He made it out of port just in time in an old sub that had actually been already decomissioned but was fixed with the spare parts of five other damaged subs. When they made it into Bergen it literally fell apart. :cool:
And - in case anyone wants to know how the story ends - there is a third book about Buchheim and L-W: Der Abschied (The farewell), Munich 2000, where both are old men, meeting for one final time to say all the things that were left unsaid...